GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Is there a big difference in these Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 7/19/07, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a big difference in these Headers?

What would be the difference between the JBA LT's with offroad H and the ARH's with offroad H. Any power differences? JBA are much cheaper so it has me wondering, although I do like the ARH's better. Also, is Tillman the only place to get the ARH's with an H pipe? Everyone else I find lists an X pipe not an H.

shane
Old 7/19/07, 12:09 PM
Cobra Member

They will be very similar. I have the JBA's.. They fit great and I have had no issues...Highly recommended
Old 7/19/07, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could be wrong, but I think the ARH's are T-304 stainless, and the JBA's are T-409 (at best). Given a choice, I'd always go with 304. Just my personal preference.
Old 7/19/07, 05:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by don_w
I could be wrong, but I think the ARH's are T-304 stainless, and the JBA's are T-409 (at best). Given a choice, I'd always go with 304. Just my personal preference.

Don is correct. If I were to go long tubes I would also want the 304 SS headers. You might consider going with the JBA's and getting them ceramic coated inside and out. They will last the life of the car and it will still cost less than the ARH's. Just another path.
Scott
Old 7/22/07, 11:26 AM
Former Vendor

I would agree.... my criteria for purchasing a header would be 3/8" laser cut flanges and firecone collectors, and a t-304 SS.

That would put me in the field for American Racing Headers, because of fitment quality and performance. That would be my first choice, and I'd swing the extra cash.

However, if JBA had 3/8" thick flanges as well as firecone collectors. If they used the same wall metal, and it was T409. I would send it out to get JetHot coated inside and out with ceramic. This would be just fine.

Problem is, after you're done it's probably around the same price.

CR
Old 7/22/07, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The JBA titanium high heat coated header and h-pipe is a bit less than the ARH combo. While I keep hearing how nice the quality of the ARH header is, grade of steel not withstanding, I'd still want to get them coated to help with heat dissipation. Since everyone pretty much agrees that sound and performance is more or less the same across headers, and JBA has a good quality rep, I'd go with the JBA titanium coated header. That's just me...

John
Old 7/22/07, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by jwgroovin
JBA has a good quality rep
Not everyone would agree with that... I saw another cracked set just last week.
Old 7/22/07, 04:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by don_w
Not everyone would agree with that... I saw another cracked set just last week.
Hey Don, it's been a while.

Now that's a FIRST for me. Was it a car with a power add? Do you know if the header was coated? I know that JBA (like other header vendors) doesn't warrant their headers if they aren't coated.

John
Old 5/29/18, 01:25 PM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just got a good deal on a set of JBA shorties for my 05 GT. Should it be any concern that there are no welds on the exterior, only engine side?
Old 5/29/18, 10:54 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by Jcreek79
Just got a good deal on a set of JBA shorties for my 05 GT. Should it be any concern that there are no welds on the exterior, only engine side?
As I previously responded in another thread, if you have any doubts or concerns? contact the manufacturer's customer/tech support department!
Old 5/29/18, 11:23 PM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you work for them or somethin? Why are you so intent on pressing your point? I already did email them. Can I not look for opinions?
Old 5/30/18, 02:49 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Just for the record, it was you who came on these forums looking for advice concerning the lack of exterior welds on the JBA headers. Obviously, if no other forum members were able to chime in to provide the answers you were searching for? then your best source is contacting the manufacturer directly. At the very least you ought to show some sort of consideration when someone is doing what they can to provide you with feedback and support. However, if for whatever reason that isn't acceptable enough to your liking? then perhaps you shouldn't bother asking for advice in the first place. As for being so intent on pushing my point is concerned? Once again, I was trying to be supportive by pointing you in the right direction. End of Story!

Originally Posted by Jcreek79
Old 8/8/18, 09:01 PM

JBA, had a known design issue back in 03-04 for Mustangs, which they addressed. One could search the net and find someone who has a though z brand that has cracked. I can't say what percent defect JBA has over other manufacturers, I don't think anyone can access that data, but for the price for ceramic coated long tube headers with SS-409, they're hard to beat. JBA also offers the headers in SS304 if you want to go that route.

If you shop it right, you can pick them up off eBay, with a 15% off coupon and if you use some various other shopping apps you can get them for less then 1/2 the price of the ARH.
I just went through this exercise, and could not justify spending double for a similar quality product. I had a knowledgeable welder who fabricates exhaust and custom car chassis take a look, and they felt based on the flange thickness, welds and finish, that it was a quality product.

One could argue that you could get the JBA system and have it installed for the price of ARH or some of the other high-end brands. JBA has been in the Mustang header business for a long time. JBA has been owned by Pertonix since 2008, so they have some solid backing going forward.

At the end of the day, it's up to you how to spend your dough. YMMV. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands, would stay away from some of the cheaper knockoffs, and as others have said is reach our to the manufacturer sooner than later.