GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

guaging interest in an auto shifter

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/06, 06:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All, as many of you know I work for B&M racing and we are looking at building a shifter for the auto cars. I was hoping to guage some interest on this particular product offering to see how many of you would want something like this. We have a car scheduled to come in next week to begin development on one and wanted to get your thoughts?

thanks

Chris
Old 2/16/06, 07:10 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subzero05 @ February 16, 2006, 9:02 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hi All, as many of you know I work for B&M racing and we are looking at building a shifter for the auto cars. I was hoping to guage some interest on this particular product offering to see how many of you would want something like this. We have a car scheduled to come in next week to begin development on one and wanted to get your thoughts?

thanks

Chris
[/b][/quote]
omg that would be sweet, i kinda feel left out not being able to get a Hurst, B&M, or Steeda shifter because of my decision to get a auto. can you give any details on the look or material used.
o ya, just a suggestion, try to incorporate somekind of crome or polished metal because that would look just sick

http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/b&m_megashifter/ heres a link to one of your others, i like the look but mabey with leather instead of that ugly rubber. or how bout one that looks kinda like a hurst shifter with the white ball, but only add a red button for the shift button(IDK if that made sense lol)
Old 2/16/06, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If B&M does develop one, make sure it has a line lock control incorporated into it!! I had a B&M ratchet shifter (w/line lock) on my car back in the 70s and I loved it.
Old 2/16/06, 07:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I for one would DEFINITLY be interested in this... the stock shifter looks so stupid and cheap.

how long for this? few months at least?
Old 2/16/06, 07:28 PM
Cobra Member

I miss my old Hurst Quarter Stick from my 69 so I would be all over this if it can bolt down into the console and still look at least somewhat stock.

If I had the money for development I would have already modified something to work.

Get er done! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

-Dan
Old 2/16/06, 08:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Count me in....
I despise the factory shifter.
And I love pwer shifting an automatic
Old 2/16/06, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I would like a satin finish to match the interior upgrade
Old 2/16/06, 08:16 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In, baby...... IN....... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/16/06, 08:45 PM
Cobra Member

good to hear guys...Thank you..I really thought there would be a market for this , but some of the "engineers" weren't sure , hence the reason for the post. I have one of our fellow members dropping his car off next week for us to check out and see what we can do. I cannot say yet if we will have a "Gate" style, Ratchet type,something with a "T" handle or pistol grip etc..But, I can assure you that I will be glad to offer all the TMS members extra discounted pricing off what the unit will sell for once it is avail..For those who are interested, please send me a PM stating your interest so I can keep a log on who wants one etc. I will gladly keep everyone up to date on the progress of the shifter and let you all know when it is ready..>Chris
Old 2/16/06, 08:49 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subzero05 @ February 16, 2006, 10:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
good to hear guys...Thank you..I really thought there would be a market for this , but some of the "engineers" weren't sure , hence the reason for the post. I have one of our fellow members dropping his car off next week for us to check out and see what we can do. I cannot say yet if we will have a "Gate" style, Ratchet type,something with a "T" handle or pistol grip etc..But, I can assure you that I will be glad to offer all the TMS members extra discounted pricing off what the unit will sell for once it is avail..For those who are interested, please send me a PM stating your interest so I can keep a log on who wants one etc. I will gladly keep everyone up to date on the progress of the shifter and let you all know when it is ready..>Chris
[/b][/quote]

just curious what would be the price on this type of thing, and could someone who is mechanically challenged switch out the shifters?
Old 2/16/06, 08:57 PM
Cobra Member

As of now I cannot put a price tag on this because we don't even know what we are going to be working with yet...Changing the shifters though on most applications is something even the mechanically challenged can do if the directions are followed.
Old 2/16/06, 09:30 PM
Bullitt Member

don't forget about a clever location for the O/D button
Old 2/16/06, 09:42 PM
Cobra Member

From what I have looked at, the stock shifter linkage could be retained for the most part when moving to an aftermarket shifter. I believe the ratchet style would work best, its the same pattern as the stock unit anyways.

My own personal preference is for a pistol grip with a 12 volt switch up top as the overdrive switch.

Like I said, if I had the money (about $1000 parts and labor) I would have already had this done in mine.

Im happy some company finally came to their senses, Hurst seemed to not want any part of it when I spoke to them about the topic.

-Dan
Old 2/16/06, 11:47 PM
GT Member

I would definitely be in. Just would want to retain the factory console, and would really like it to be a rachet style so I could just hit it to go up or down 1 gear. Oh, and maybe you could have the top of the stick threaded, so we could choose if we want a t-handle or ball. If I remember correctly, I had a pro stick in my 67 stang which I liked alot.
Old 2/17/06, 05:38 AM
Cobra Member

Count me In!!!

-Bryan
Old 2/17/06, 07:55 AM
Cobra Member

Guys: UPDATE!!! I need a car!..Dino on this board is not going to be able to get time off from work to loan us his car , SO I NEED ONE...Who can help us out?...You can call me @ 818 882 6422 x214

Chris
Old 2/17/06, 08:08 AM
Bullitt Member

count me in. had a quicksilver in my 78 z28 and it was a great improvement over the factory shifter.
Old 2/17/06, 08:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would be interested, if it was a high quality piece, with satin finish. OD likeout button should be convenient to use. (Actually one of the better features on the stock shifter IMHO) , nicely gated so you know what gear you are in and a manual shifting ability so you have the option of being in drive or shift manually. It also needs to match the interior.
Old 2/17/06, 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subzero05 @ February 17, 2006, 9:58 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Guys: UPDATE!!! I need a car!..Dino on this board is not going to be able to get time off from work to loan us his car , SO I NEED ONE...Who can help us out?...You can call me @ 818 882 6422 x214

Chris
[/b][/quote]

where are you
Old 2/17/06, 08:47 AM
Cobra Member

We are located in Chatsworth Ca.

Quick Reply: guaging interest in an auto shifter