GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

guaging interest in an auto shifter

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/06, 07:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im in like everyone. I personally would love one that matches the iup/icap interior. Would love a nice satin finish with the red leather/vinyl matching fords, with o/d button and an additional button for line locks etc.
So if you do leather etc for it, please offer varying colors. I cant wait, definitely a mod I have been looking all over for. There is great demand for these I am sure.
P.S. pm sent
Old 2/18/06, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

It sounds like an excellent plan, but you better have some darn good programmers. The control unit in this auto is very Hi Tech. I doubt that a ratchet type shifter will even work with the transmission without a special circuit board with a CAN buss and a lot of detailed programming/circuit information from Ford.

However, If you can pull it off, I would be interested....
Old 2/18/06, 11:13 AM
Bullitt Member

count me in
Old 2/18/06, 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sranger @ February 18, 2006, 6:40 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It sounds like an excellent plan, but you better have some darn good programmers. The control unit in this auto is very Hi Tech. I doubt that a ratchet type shifter will even work with the transmission without a special circuit board with a CAN buss and a lot of detailed programming/circuit information from Ford.
However, If you can pull it off, I would be interested....
[/b][/quote]
You havent taken a look at the workings of the shifter apparently... none of that should be an issue, its plug and play. Well, at least for the "gate"

-Dan
Old 2/18/06, 01:22 PM
Bullitt Member

I'd be interested too, BUT we need a shifter that can go up and down thru the gears pretty easy for those who might want to road race or autocross their car. I've used both types that are mentioned and while a Rachet style shifter is not the best performing, it might be the best overall solution. I think you need to keep the factory look in mind with options for handles and a spot for nitrous buttons. It shouldn't be anything new to B&M really [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Thanks Mike
Old 2/18/06, 05:37 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>You havent taken a look at the workings of the shifter apparently... none of that should be an issue, its plug and play. Well, at least for the "gate"[/b][/quote]

Actually I have,

I also realized that the computer is still controlling just about every aspect of the shift. No matter how fast you shift this thing, the computer will still do what ever it wantes to make the shift complete....

The best it might do is improve down shifts witout any additional programming...

Also, the drive by wire throttle syste is directly linked via software to the transmission. I know first hand how delicate this partnership is between the trans and the throttle control system. It is easy to upset the balance to cause the throttle to do weird things between shifts...
Old 2/18/06, 08:24 PM
FR500 Member

Count me in as well. I am partial to a shifter **** though instead of a pistol grip or t-handle. But I think the best thing to do to satisf the most people would be to make it with a t-handle that would have a button on each side of the handle... the one on the right for your pinky to turn OD on/off like it is stock... the one on the left could be either for a line-lock or nitrous system. I would definitely prefer the t-handle to be smaller though than the stock one. Something more similar to a **** that would fit inside your hand basically. So that you actually hold the handle instead of resting your hand on top of it. I would also definitely want a leather boot. And I would prefer a boot like you guys have on the 'Mustang Console Hammer' shifters where it looks more like a stock shift boot, rather than the "accordian" style boots. As far as colors go, I say keep it simple with a black leather boot and chrome hande. For those of you guys with the ICAP, you can get Redlinegoods or someone to make you a red boot, etc. I would love to have a charcoal one to match my interior, but I just don't see B&M making different boots. I'd just be happy to get a shifter... the color wouldn't keep me from buying it. That's about all the input I have for now. I'm curious to know what you guys come up with next week.
Old 2/19/06, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acadian @ February 18, 2006, 9:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Count me in as well. I am partial to a shifter **** though instead of a pistol grip or t-handle. But I think the best thing to do to satisf the most people would be to make it with a t-handle that would have a button on each side of the handle... the one on the right for your pinky to turn OD on/off like it is stock... the one on the left could be either for a line-lock or nitrous system. I would definitely prefer the t-handle to be smaller though than the stock one. Something more similar to a **** that would fit inside your hand basically. So that you actually hold the handle instead of resting your hand on top of it. I would also definitely want a leather boot. And I would prefer a boot like you guys have on the 'Mustang Console Hammer' shifters where it looks more like a stock shift boot, rather than the "accordian" style boots. As far as colors go, I say keep it simple with a black leather boot and chrome hande. For those of you guys with the ICAP, you can get Redlinegoods or someone to make you a red boot, etc. I would love to have a charcoal one to match my interior, but I just don't see B&M making different boots. I'd just be happy to get a shifter... the color wouldn't keep me from buying it. That's about all the input I have for now. I'm curious to know what you guys come up with next week.
[/b][/quote]

+2!!!
Old 2/19/06, 03:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Count me in, too. I was originally planning to buy myself a mod I had seen that sits onto the actual T shifter for our autos, but I want to wait and see what this looks like.
Old 2/19/06, 03:24 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks Ian and everyone else for your valued input. I will be printing each and every one of these posts to present at the engineering meeting on wednesday morning when we discuss this topic. Since this was originally my idea to begin with hopefully I will be able to get as many ideas into this project as reasonably possible...Stay tuned

Chris
Old 2/23/06, 02:38 AM
Cobra Member

hey you, yeah you, over there!

I wants an update!

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

-Dan
Old 2/23/06, 07:04 AM
FR500 Member

Chris, how was that meeting? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/23/06, 08:08 AM
Cobra Member

Update: We had the meeting yesterday and the table members agreed it should be a "GO" . I passed out each and every one of the responses you all gave me so the "Brass" above me could see the interest and they were impressed!. SO, We are going to run some costing #'s (which I will of course approve) and then we start to prototype. As of now, we are thinking of using the Quicksilver design we have now with its ratchet action and possibly a "Push down" action to get it up into park etc. We discussed a nice bezel piece to go with the interior along with a line lock feature and a nice T handle or Ball option depending on where we end up putting the "Button(s)" . We are also discussing getting a new 06 auto as a SEMA car to showcase our new auto shifter in it, but obviously we will have the product out long before that. This is all the info I have now and will continually update as info comes across....Chris
Old 2/23/06, 08:14 AM
Cobra Member

Fantastic Chris.

Thanks for being out champion fo the auto guys [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

-Bryan
Old 2/23/06, 10:26 AM
FR500 Member

Chris, this is awesome news. I really like that you may have a t-handle or ball option. I would love to have a ball shifter in my auto. I personally don't need any buttons... just the "push down" feature you talked about for getting into park, etc. Maybe the t-handle option could have button(s) for those who want to set up a line-lock and/or nitrous, and the ball option could have no buttons at all. I really like the clean look... and since I would guess that at least 75% of the auto drivers out there won't have a line-lock or nitrous, having a simple design like that with no extra buttons would be great. Now, as far as the O/D button... I'm not sure how to put that on a ****, but you could even put it down on the shifter base. If you did that, you could do it that way for both the t-handle and ball options... that way the t-handle would be able to have two buttons- one on each side. That eliminates the O/D button taking up space on the handle.

One question I have for you is what about a shifter boot? I'd prefer the regular leather one over the accordian style... but either one would be fine. I really want a boot to make it appear like it's a stick to anyone looking in. Even if it's an added option that you may not sell with the shifter, that would be fine. As long as you guys will have one that will fit. That is a big selling point, at least for me. I also would request that you make the PRND321 display as small as possible. I know it's different sizes on a lot of your auto shifters, but having it really small will be something else that will make it look more like a stick shifter... and for us auto guys make it a little more fun to drive. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/23/06, 10:51 AM
Cobra Member

If it must be the Quicksilver I suppose I will still be on board but Im definitely switching that ball head for a piston or a pistol grip with 12v switch activation. Oh, and I would be covering that thing up with a leather boot.

-Dan
Old 2/23/06, 11:07 AM
Cobra Member

We are looking into the quicksilver mechanism we use with that shifter to possibly work on this application..That is what I was implying by saying "quicksilver" ...Not necessarilly the unit itself. This mechanism gives us some versatility for pulling the unit "UP" or pushing "down" to go up into reverse/Park etc. We may look at having the OD button on the stick itself or perhaps on the T handle should we go that way. I do not know about a Boot at this point, so I can't comment on that right now. I think a couple options for T handle/Ball would make the majority happy if we can offer it, so I will make sure the engineering guys look at that as well. ..Chris
Old 2/23/06, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

i am ready
Old 2/23/06, 11:49 AM
FR500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tx2005gt @ February 23, 2006, 12:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
i am ready
[/b][/quote]

Me too! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] I'll have to wait to see it before I go as far as to put it on my future mod list... but I will definitely start saving up for it.
Old 2/23/06, 11:51 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acadian @ February 23, 2006, 12:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Me too! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] I'll have to wait to see it before I go as far as to put it on my future mod list... but I will definitely start saving up for it.
[/b][/quote]

+1

Quick Reply: guaging interest in an auto shifter