GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/06, 08:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators

Okay, I wanted to start a thread that would be easy to find. I got the Borlas two weeks ago and put them on. Have to say, I love the deep rumble...but the drone

Okay, so I scour the threads and found people were talking about many options for fixing this, from dynamat to foam to just taking them off and getting something else. Well, not having unlimited money, I had to try one of the more novel ideas and put the Magnaflow resonators from Summit racing on. First, I want you all to know, these are not resonators but rather bullet mufflers...

Cost:$33.88 each

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLK%2D24215&N=700 +4294922711+400358+115&autoview=sku

Quote: This is where I wound up putting the resonators.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...1&d=1155522006

This was a surprise when the shop guys told me this. Anyway, I had them welded in like the photo and the guys did a good job!!! Excessive Motorsports in Manassas VA is da bomb!

Okay, also, if you choose to go this route, realize that they will fit, but you'll have to bend one end of the parking brake cable bracket with a hammer to keep it from rubbing...but no big.

Okay, so I mentioned the droning with the borlas was head-splittingly loud between 1500 and 2000 rpms right? I was literally ready to put the stock mufflers back on. So what did the resonators/bullet mufflers do?

Well the short answer is not much...but enough.

They quieted down the Borlas a bit, and took some of the bite out of the drone. I still get drone, but it is far less intense. I don't feel like jumping out of the car at 60 mph anymore... F#$$%@ drone!

So, after the effort, I have to say, the resonators/mufflers will help, but not cure the problem. Next step is to replace the factory H with an X pipe, though I'm seriously considering a full off-road setup to get some volume back. If anyone has experience with the positive or negative effect on drone I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Darth
Old 10/19/06, 08:55 PM
Cobra Member

Hm..Never thought the drone was THAT bad. At least not to the point of jumping out of my car haha! Honestly I think its kind of a cool sound, but hell what do us young folk know right?
Old 10/19/06, 09:38 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SlamMan02
Hm..Never thought the drone was THAT bad. At least not to the point of jumping out of my car haha! Honestly I think its kind of a cool sound, but hell what do us young folk know right?
That's what i'm talking about, I don't see what the big deal is, I like the drone sound " just not when i'm on the freeway for more than an hour with the window's up". On the exterior the drone is that really deep muscle car sound! I guess some people are more sensitive than others. Next time somebody ask's what exhaust to get i'm gonna ask how old they are, some of you oldies just can't handle it
Old 10/19/06, 10:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Drone is so bad on mine, ears ring and teeth hurt. Thats at 1800 RPM.
Old 10/20/06, 02:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
Drone is so bad on mine, ears ring and teeth hurt. Thats at 1800 RPM.
Man you're not car guys, i never listen to the radio because i love to hear the car! The cobra is loud, it drones, it rumbles, I love it. The 06 GT has the stingers, it's loud (could be louder) it drones, I love it.
The ones that are complaing should just put the stock exhaust back on your cars.
Old 10/20/06, 04:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by TRMN8TR
Man you're not car guys, i never listen to the radio because i love to hear the car! The cobra is loud, it drones, it rumbles, I love it. The 06 GT has the stingers, it's loud (could be louder) it drones, I love it.
The ones that are complaing should just put the stock exhaust back on your cars.
First of all, I'm not even 35 yet and if you'll look at the list of mods you'll see i'm a little bit of a car guy....

I love the loud sound, but the drone really is some kind of evil by-product of the s197 design that magically hits the car's resonance frequency at the speed and rpm range you drive at almost all the time...which is why the guys at ford spent so much time "tuning it"...{conspiracy theory}

I LIKE the loud intimidating sound, but not the "aliens are shaking my brain effect", that's all. So, you whimpersnappers have any useful sugestions or just flames?

-Darth
Old 10/20/06, 06:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Question!

Do you get insanely loud droning with the Borla Stinger / FRPP at 1500-2000 RPM even with the stock cats, stock h-pipe, and stock tail pipes? Or does drone only occur without cats and with aftermarket pipes (pro Chamber, X/H), and larger tail pipes?

A throaty drone is pretty darn cool IMO.

My Dynomax Ultra Flo mufflers on my 4.6 2V V8 drone around 1500 RPM as well and I love it. I wish it were louder and at higher RPMs as well.
Old 10/20/06, 06:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

First off, I have the Stingers, love em and yea, they drone like a SOB but wouldn't trade em for anything. IMO if what you got has too much drone, I would swap em out with something else.
before going thru all that. I've read that FlowMaster has a set of A/B's that really sound good without much drone - can't remember which model it is -
Old 10/20/06, 07:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by metroplex
Question!

Do you get insanely loud droning with the Borla Stinger / FRPP at 1500-2000 RPM even with the stock cats, stock h-pipe, and stock tail pipes? Or does drone only occur without cats and with aftermarket pipes (pro Chamber, X/H), and larger tail pipes?

A throaty drone is pretty darn cool IMO.

My Dynomax Ultra Flo mufflers on my 4.6 2V V8 drone around 1500 RPM as well and I love it. I wish it were louder and at higher RPMs as well.
The insanely loud drone was between 1500-2000 just with the Borlas and stock exhaust. I'm trying to get an idea of how the x-pipe would affect it. Oh yeah, throaty drone is good, but I wonder if anyone outside the car can hear it!

-Darth
Old 10/20/06, 07:37 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Its inherent on the design of the 2 cat rear muffler...

Opposed to the pre-cat, cat, front mufflers on the SN95
Old 10/20/06, 08:01 AM
V6 Member

If you guys knocking us old 30 year olds that complain about borla drone will notice something.... the guys that really have a problem with it are convertible owners.

The guys that say "yeah it's there, but I can live with it" have a metal insulated top between them and the drone. My car with the top down isn't bad at all and I don't even notice the drone, but with the top up... it's a different story. There are times that it is so intense that I've had to put my finger in my right ear to keep from getting a headache.

And this is coming from someone that loves loud music, old muscle cars with window rattling loud exhaust and rides a Ducti with Sil Moto carbon fiber slip-ons (sets off every car alarm it passes).

There is a huge difference in an exhaust just being loud and sounding good without raspy harsh tones and the drone from these mufflers. They put off a low frequency between 1700-2000 rpms that hurts your head because of the tone and not the volume.
Old 10/20/06, 08:08 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by bwilder10h
If you guys knocking us old 30 year olds that complain about borla drone will notice something.... the guys that really have a problem with it are convertible owners.

The guys that say "yeah it's there, but I can live with it" have a metal insulated top between them and the drone. My car with the top down isn't bad at all and I don't even notice the drone, but with the top up... it's a different story. There are times that it is so intense that I've had to put my finger in my right ear to keep from getting a headache.

And this is coming from someone that loves loud music, old muscle cars with window rattling loud exhaust and rides a Ducti with Sil Moto carbon fiber slip-ons (sets off every car alarm it passes).

There is a huge difference in an exhaust just being loud and sounding good without raspy harsh tones and the drone from these mufflers. They put off a low frequency between 1700-2000 rpms that hurts your head because of the tone and not the volume.
Try an x-pipe, that would help. I also have a prochamber that makes it even deeper
Old 10/20/06, 08:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

oh wow! So if I just swap out the stock mufflers for Borlas or 5GTs, I will get that nice loud drone at 1500-2000 RPM? Sweet. That will be the easiest exhaust mod ever done on my part. I like the drone and it won't be a convertible.
Old 10/20/06, 09:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Guys, those who have already bought the Stingers should have already known what to expect. There's a ton of posts about the drone all over this forum.

If you don't want the drone, but want a deeper than stock sound, maybe the Corsa's are for you.
Old 10/20/06, 09:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I want my Mustang GT to be loud and rowdy w/o doing anything to the stock H-Pipe or cats (basically just the axle-back mufflers). This is not a daily driver car but I want at least 10-20 years out of the exhaust parts (T-304 stainless at a minimum). Do I get the SLP loudmouth, FRPP/Borla stinger, Corsa, or???
Old 10/20/06, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Darth Stang
First of all, I'm not even 35 yet and if you'll look at the list of mods you'll see i'm a little bit of a car guy....

I love the loud sound, but the drone really is some kind of evil by-product of the s197 design that magically hits the car's resonance frequency at the speed and rpm range you drive at almost all the time...which is why the guys at ford spent so much time "tuning it"...{conspiracy theory}

I LIKE the loud intimidating sound, but not the "aliens are shaking my brain effect", that's all. So, you whimpersnappers have any useful sugestions or just flames?

-Darth
"Whimpersnappers"? Misspelled right? I think you meant whippersnapper, better get back to school.
Wow you're almost 35 huh? Got ya beat bud and let's not try to over-****-ize this whole sound thing.
You bought/leased a "performance" car, now you're modding it and complaing of the residual sound that is music to a car enthusiast ears. I suggest you buy a Prius (spelling) or whatever that thing is, that way you get that nice "quiet" no drone tone you're searching for.
For you guys looking for a REALLY nice hotrod exhaust note that makes you go into the garage just to start your car so you can hear the rumble, go with the Borla Stingers.
Old 10/20/06, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

oh wow! So if I just swap out the stock mufflers for Borlas or 5GTs, I will get that nice loud drone at 1500-2000 RPM? Sweet. That will be the easiest exhaust mod ever done on my part. I like the drone and it won't be a convertible.
Why not look at the FRPP GTA muffler, with the X-pipe?
Old 10/20/06, 11:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Are the GTAs louder than the 5GTs?
Old 10/20/06, 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Are the GTAs louder than the 5GTs?
No they are quieter
Old 10/20/06, 12:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Is there anything louder than the 5GTs using the stock cats, stock H, stock pipes?

Quick Reply: FRPP Borla Stinger droning and resonators