GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Front-end clunking ('07 thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12/21/06, 08:57 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
FYI
I've NEVER had an OEM/factory shock last longer than 1-2 years. They would always fail in 1 form or another. Either it leaks or it looses rebound (won't extend to free length by itself). I am not surprised if the struts themselves are faulty. Does Tokico make the OEM/factory replacement struts for the Mustang? If not, who does make them? Perhaps it is time to just contact the supplier directly.
Old 12/21/06, 09:26 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Saleen suspension kit and have had the same problem for at least a month......

don't go throwing away your stock end links yet - someone already mentioned this but the fix can be extremely simple - I just posted this on another site so I'll paste my reply from there:

Well guess what folks? I THINK I fixed this..... thanks to one of my buddies
[MTAS - thanks Dave!!]

Told me that he had this problem (CLUNK going over most bumps) in his 05 way back and that he fixed it on his - hasn't come back since.

See attached picture - it has to do with the end links but NOT because they are bad necessarily - because a bolt is loose.

The yellow circle - place a ratchet on there and set it to LOOSEN (yes loosen)

Yellow line - use a regular wrench of whatever is handy to hold the nut in place while you work the ratchet. Do it on both sides and down low where the end link attaches to the sway bar.

My bottoms (on sway bar) were both tight.
Passenger side, I got the most MINUTE movement and that was it.
Driver's side?? I got a 1/4 or almost even a half turn out of it.

Raining bad outside but took the car for a two minute spin - going out of and into my apt development there is some bumpy pavement that definitely cause that sound. I swear I didn't hear it

Will do more road testing tomorrow but I THINK that did it.
Attached Thumbnails Front-end clunking ('07 thread)-pict2781.jpg  
Old 1/16/07, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, it's been very fookin cold here in CO (around 0F) and I've noticed that my car clunks more in the cold weather, sooo I THINK the clunking is shock related. In cold, the gas inside shock condense and the shock is "more loose".

I'm going with Shock/Spring and Steeda upper mount swap soon. If it still clunks, I'll burn it and get toyota!
Old 1/16/07, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

It is more than likely that it is the front coil spring isolators . They had that trouble on the 05 06 cars . They claim to have fixed the problem , but i bet money that thats what it is
Old 1/16/07, 09:13 PM
Bullitt Member

So, what to use as isolator? Garden waterhose?
Old 1/17/07, 11:51 AM
Cobra Member

I thought some of the 05's didn't have isolators on the springs and they added them later in the production year due to the noise problem. The 06-07s should all have them.

I still suspect the spherical bearings in the upper strut mount. The SN95s had a rubber bushing, and one popular handling mod was to add upper shock mounts with spherical bushings. Many folks complained of popping noises after adding the plates. I didn't add them to my 99 because of the noise potential. I don't know if other production cars use the spherical bearings in the front end.