GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ford Racing BIG BOOST KIT

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/06, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Racing BIG BOOST KIT

After months of sitting on the fence regarding supercharging, my local Ford Dealer's (Downs Ford) Motorsport division called me with an offer too good to pass up. Rick wanted to have the first Ford Racing Big Boost kit in the country. Rick and I have become friends since I added the FRPP suspension kit, he knew I was looking into superchargers and I am now scheduled to have it installed on Dec. 11. They anticipate approx. 500rwhp with the kit.

My understanding is they will not be widely available until Feb or March.

The best part is Rick has been working with the head of Ford Racing in putting this together and if any warranty issues come up it will be resolved between the dealer and Ford Racing.

I'll post reports when its installed.

I have some questions for the more experienced supercharged crowd. I am assuming my stock tires won't handle the additional power very well, I see most of you are running Nitto 555's in either 275 or 285 is that what I should upgrade to?

I love my 64W's but at 8.5" they are too narrow what's the closest looking reasonably priced Bullit out there?

Lastly I no longer have a need for my GMS CAI and Throttle Body only 2 months old. I know a lot of guys have problems with JR, but I have been extremely happy with the added power, in fact so happy I got addicted to the power so I followed your advice and skipped the rest of the bolt on's I had planned and went straight to the supercharger!!!!!

I greatly appreciate your suggestions and comments

Neil
Old 11/30/06, 12:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lucky you...
Old 11/30/06, 01:13 PM
Cobra Member

hope it holds up... keep us posted
Old 11/30/06, 04:45 PM
Cobra Member

Neil - congrats on the SC.....I haven't heard much about the Ford "Big Boost Kit"...can you elaborate....is this a roots style, does it come with any warranty (like the Roushcharger), 500rwhp...is that safe on these stock 4.6L internals?

thx
Old 11/30/06, 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

It is the Ford Racing version of the Whipple intercooled supercharger. It comes with a Ford Racing specific tune, GT 500 fuel pumps and a few other goodies. Its not yet up on the Ford Racing website open to the general public but is for the Dealers. Also it was debuted at SEMA this year.

I am assured it is safe on our stock motor. The head of Ford Racing told me he has had it on 300 vehicles over the past year or so on the street and track without problems...........I certainly hope so. They are working on formally covering them under warranty if installed by an approved Ford Racing Dealer. Right now I am covered informally mainly because Downs Ford Motorsports wants to have the first one.
Old 11/30/06, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Neil,

I have similar questions. I've seen the listing for the "Big Boost kit" in the 2007 Ford Performance catalog but it gives absolutely NO details. What is it exactly? Also, how must boost does the Ford Racing Whipple unit make without this kit??

As for the factory warranty, how does installing a Whipple from From Racing effect it? From my understanding even Ford Racing parts will void the factory warranty. Am I wrong (I hope)??
Old 11/30/06, 04:52 PM
GTR Member

I'd get a set of DD bullits from mustang tuning 17x10.5 rears and 17x9 (or 9.5) fronts with some BFG 315s out back
Old 11/30/06, 04:54 PM
Cobra R Member

I bet this is the same supercharger that ford is selling now, it's a whipple. there just calling it that because of more hp, I bet it will come with a different tune, and different pulley size to boost the pressure. But the mustang right now is supposedly not to safe after 475. I think most are leaving it below that unless changing stock bottom of engine. But this aint too much more I guess if at 500hp, either way it will be worth it. Even if you have to change bottom end later. Either way good luck, congrats.
Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Neil - congrats on the SC.....I haven't heard much about the Ford "Big Boost Kit"...can you elaborate....is this a roots style, does it come with any warranty (like the Roushcharger), 500rwhp...is that safe on these stock 4.6L internals?

thx
Old 11/30/06, 07:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

the Big Boost kit is an ADD ON intercooler & 10 PSI Pulley to the existing Non-Intercooled S/C kit available through Ford Racing right now, adding another 100HP to the kit. I spoke to a Ford Racing representative and he said the retail on the BIG BOOST KIT would be roughly $1200-1500. As I said, this is an ADD on to the NON Intercooled KIT!

If you read the description it says, "500 HP upgrade kit for M-6066-M463P/M463V" thats the part# for the non intercooled kit, the non-intercooled puts you @ 400RWHP, buying the Big Boost kit would put you @ 500 or close to it. Thee Intercooled H.O. Kit is called the "Superpack". due to be sold in 2007. It's the same kit out thats now available through Whipple dealers. Same everything, GT500 pumps, injectors, intercooler, 10 PSI pulley, spark plugs and tune from Ford Racing.

I pulled the Trigger on the H.O. kit through a whipple dealer "Lethal Performance" and my kit will arrive this Tuesday.
Old 11/30/06, 07:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree with sodaman, I wouldn't be as worried about tires, I'd be more worried about the engine if you have stock internals.
Old 11/30/06, 08:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

remember, its not always the big boost thats causing the stock internals to fail. It's also the TUNES. there are plenty of 05+ mustangs running 15+ PSI boost and 500+ HP with the tunes they either received from ProCharger, Vortech, Paxton or whomever with no problems. when people go and do CUSTOM tunes, you have to be cautious about that. some cars are tuned to be MAX HP and the timing and spark can be dangerous to the internals, thats why people blow rods or pistons or break down the bottom end.

since its coming from ford racing, I'm sure ford racing was thinking about everything in mind when it comes to the engine itself and the motor life. I'm sure they've test it on serveral +05 Mustangs, doing 12PSI boost and ran that, beat on them and did everything they could with the Ford Racing tune until the kits came out to the public and have had no problems

some of you may disagree with me, but I did my research on s/c' on the forums, calling S/C distributors, talked to technicians, spoke to many performance shops before I bought my whipple S/C and most of the information I compiled from all of these sources lead me to this statement.
Old 11/30/06, 08:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MaverickMLFD371
there are plenty of 05+ mustangs running 15+ PSI boost and 500+ HP with the tunes they either received from ProCharger, Vortech, Paxton or whomever with no problems.
Oh come on....Show me ONE 05 GT that's running 500+ at the wheels and 15+ psi one the stock bottom end with a canned tune. Tell me the one about the three bears too.
Old 12/1/06, 09:09 AM

Big boost= Big boom with the stock internals. I don't care how "safe" the tune is, you can't tune a connecting rod. I'm still amazed with so many people wanting to put so much power to the stock internals. You lose traction and worst of all lose your motor. It's not about numbers, it's about being SAFE and enjoying your car.
Old 12/1/06, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

I certainly am no expert on this but I do know that JDM Engineering in NJ has over 500 stock GTs running 425 -475 rwhp with Saleens and their tune with NO problems for almost 2 years. Whipple has had their intercooled kit with approx the same rwhp out for several months with no problems that I have heard about. Over at ModularFords.com there are many many many Mustang owners with various systems running that type of power.

The one common thread is the use of a very good tune.

With that said i think everyone agrees 450 to 500 is the outer limit for these internals.
Old 12/1/06, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by NDHESQ
I certainly am no expert on this but I do know that JDM Engineering in NJ has over 500 stock GTs running 425 -475 rwhp with Saleens and their tune with NO problems for almost 2 years. Whipple has had their intercooled kit with approx the same rwhp out for several months with no problems that I have heard about. Over at ModularFords.com there are many many many Mustang owners with various systems running that type of power.

The one common thread is the use of a very good tune.

With that said i think everyone agrees 450 to 500 is the outer limit for these internals.
425 rwhp is pushing it even on stock rods/crank/pistons. Keep in mind that even if some of these guys are running high HP levels, how many actual miles do you think are on their motors? You claim they are having NO problems. These motors are very new to begin with. Over time, massive power will lead to stress cracks on the rods and then....BOOM. There is no way around it except for getting a high end forged rotating assembly. Give them some time and you will see a heap of rebuilds with the stock bottom ends. Shelling out a few grand for a solid bottom end is not only peace of mind, but safe and an excellent investment if you want big numbers. I've been building engines for 10+ years at NVR Racing and we always tell our customers that if they want it done right, go forged and have a solid tranny/driveshaft/rearend to back it up . We've seen way to many "dyno queens" who care more about the numbers than they do the safety of their engine/vehicle. They key word here is SAFETY. Something which alot of people take for granted. Go forged and save yourself thousands in the near future.
Old 12/1/06, 10:31 AM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by Ryan07GT
425 rwhp is pushing it even on stock rods/crank/pistons. Keep in mind that even if some of these guys are running high HP levels, how many actual miles do you think are on their motors? You claim they are having NO problems. These motors are very new to begin with. Over time, massive power will lead to stress cracks on the rods and then....BOOM. There is no way around it except for getting a high end forged rotating assembly. Give them some time and you will see a heap of rebuilds with the stock bottom ends. Shelling out a few grand for a solid bottom end is not only peace of mind, but safe and an excellent investment if you want big numbers. I've been building engines for 10+ years at NVR Racing and we always tell our customers that if they want it done right, go forged and have a solid tranny/driveshaft/rearend to back it up . We've seen way to many "dyno queens" who care more about the numbers than they do the safety of their engine/vehicle. They key word here is SAFETY. Something which alot of people take for granted. Go forged and save yourself thousands in the near future.
30,000 miles and running strong at about 425 rwhp!

There ARE people who are pushing over 600 rwhp on the stock block, so you can forget about 425 being the magic number. You won't find those guys hanging out over here. Too many posts on window tint, and not enough posts on fuel systems over here.

It's all a gamble. If you are content having 300 rwhp, than have fun with that, because I like blowing C6's away, and I love being able to roast 'em at 40 mph!

I will be upping the boost in the Spring, and I'm shooting for 450 rwhp without any other mods. I am confident enough in my tuner and my set up that I will run strong at 10 psi up until I build up!

I hate to tell you, but how are you saving thousands in the future if you go forged now? It's either spend the money now, or later.
Old 12/1/06, 10:53 AM

Nobody is running 600 RWHP on stock internals....nobody. These mod motors aren't magic engines like alot of people think. They are very good though. Lots of people are over estimating what they can take. I never said 425 is the magic number...I said it is pushing it and IT IS. Good luck on your rebuilds guys. It won't be cheap. I thought that maybe I could help out with some of my experience BUILDING MOTORS. Guess not....too many dyno queens here.
Old 12/1/06, 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'd like some specs on the short block. Or simply, what is the difference in short block assemblies between our motors and the 4.6 32-valve supercharged Cobra block?

Willie
Old 12/1/06, 11:55 AM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by Ryan07GT
Nobody is running 600 RWHP on stock internals....nobody. These mod motors aren't magic engines like alot of people think. They are very good though. Lots of people are over estimating what they can take. I never said 425 is the magic number...I said it is pushing it and IT IS. Good luck on your rebuilds guys. It won't be cheap. I thought that maybe I could help out with some of my experience BUILDING MOTORS. Guess not....too many dyno queens here.

I'll take someone else's helop! You obviously are speaking without knowing the facts!

NOBODY is running 600 rwhp on the stock block? You've got some research to do before you go plugging your company!

And who are you calling a Dyno Queen?

You've got 5 posts and have been here for 2 weeks! You need to calm it down a bit, if you expect to be respected with comments like this.

Who are you to say that NOBODY is running 600 on the stock block? I personally know people who are! Reliable, hell no! Still running, hell yeah!
Old 12/1/06, 12:20 PM

That's just great....you obviously can't handle the facts and yes, I have done TONS of research and have had alot of experience with the new 4.6 3v on the 05-07. Just because I don't have 1000 posts doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. If post counts actually matter, than I'm out of here. I'll challenge anyone here to put 600 RWHP on a stock bottom end, run it hard, and make it last. Not gonna happen.

Quick Reply: Ford Racing BIG BOOST KIT