GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

E85 Performance Tune

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/08, 07:53 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
And just where will the Sugar cane come from ? If you thinking anywhere in the U.S. then you had better think again, because first of all. Sugar cane requires warm weather climates to grow.

And even warm weather states, such as Florida and California, just don't have enough landscape, in order to grow enough Sugar cane to keep up with supply and demand.

The only other option, would be to import Sugar cane from Brazil, and you know full well if that were to happen. Brazil would end up jacking their prices, and holding us hostage much in the same way as those rag heads from the Middle East, have been doing for over 35 years with their imported oil.

By the time it's all said and done. Imported Sugar cane will eventually cost just as much as imported oil.

What we really need, is to come up with our own alternative fuel sources, such as liquid coal. In which West Virgina produces more coal than what the Middle East does with all their imported oil, combined. Another option could also be the possibility of converting natural gas, into fuel as well.

That being said, the goal is to become fully independent of foreign oil, and not look for a substitute from some other country, who will only hold us hostage all over again !
look up switch grass used in future ethanol manufacturing on google...
or go here: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006...h_grass_fu.php
Old 6/5/08, 08:03 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,624 Posts
Originally Posted by andyukok442
look up switch grass used in future ethanol manufacturing on google...
or go here: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006...h_grass_fu.php

I just finished reading the tree hugger article, and had no clue as to what switch grass even was, until you provided the link.

Needless to say, I was definitely blown away, by the fact that switch grass can grow in any climate and is plentiful in both the U.S and Canada.

And most of all, the entire plant can be used, and isn't considered as a food source, unlike corn which requires being irrigated, and planted.

Seems to me, our government should do whatever it takes to come up with the necessary funding to begin research on switch grass, as a top priority fuel alternative A.S.A.P

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 6/5/08 at 08:16 PM.
Old 6/5/08, 10:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
And just where will the Sugar cane come from ? If you thinking anywhere in the U.S. then you had better think again, because first of all. Sugar cane requires warm weather climates to grow.
I mentioned that the state of Florida is using the sugar cane biomass (as in waste products) along with the forest industry biomass (as in sawdust and other byproducts) to produce ethanol. They are not using sugar which would be just a stupid as using corn. With corn it takes .87 BTUs of energy to produce 1 BTU of alcohol. This is what happens when you leave an oil baron in charge of alternative energy sources. For ethanol to be viable we have to get the energy in to energy out ratio down to about 1/3 and not the 7/8 we see with corn. Switch grass will actually produce more BTUs per acre than both corn and sugar.

some list members miusunderstood my statements and supported what they thought was an endorsement for ethanol derived from sugar. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The problem I see with E85 is the broad range in prices. In the Mountain States I've seen surveys that have it at less than $1.00 a gallon whereas along the East Coast it can cost as much as gasoline. E85 is not going to be the big octane booster but if it will keep my engine from gumming up and if it sells for less than or about the same as the eqivalent amount of BTUs worth of gasoline then I'm all for it.

So if I can get an adaptive tune that will recognize different levels of ethanol from E10 through E85 for about $400 then I'm all for it. Just remember that all vehicles manufactured in or after 1996 had to be able to use an ethanol blend. The flex fuel engines can do that with a PCM that can identify the characteristics of E85. Ford has had the 07 and up 4.6s in the Mercs and Lincolns rated for flex fuel and I don't believe they use additional sensors. OBDII seems to have more than it's share of sensors already. I will have to look into this a little more, perhaps I'll have to do more lurking on the Modular Ford site.

BB
Semper Fi

Last edited by Centurion96; 6/6/08 at 06:39 AM.
Old 6/6/08, 07:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

This thread just keeps getting more and more interesting...
Old 6/6/08, 09:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh yeah. I'm not saying sugar cane is the solution. I was just citing it's benefits over corn. Switch grass is definitely a better option for the states.
Old 6/6/08, 09:20 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As we all know, God has blessed america.

Don't worry about pollution or the ozone layer either. God is watching us and will take care of us.

We shall do nothing and gas will appear magically on our lands and we will has gas for $1 a gallon soon to fill up our Mustangs.
Old 6/6/08, 10:07 AM
GT Member

The big question...

...so he is actually using E85 apart from me here?
Old 6/6/08, 11:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fixmejesus

Don't worry about pollution or the ozone layer either. God is watching us and will take care of us.

We shall do nothing and gas will appear magically on our lands and we will has gas for $1 a gallon soon to fill up our Mustangs.
If you're so against using petrolium and other fuels, why do you have a Mustang? Humans account for less than 1% of the damage to the ecosystem. The Earth and nature is going to take it's own course. Nothing we do in our every day lives will dramatically change the ecosystem of Earth, for the better, or worse.
Old 6/7/08, 08:19 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
If you're so against using petrolium and other fuels, why do you have a Mustang? Humans account for less than 1% of the damage to the ecosystem. The Earth and nature is going to take it's own course. Nothing we do in our every day lives will dramatically change the ecosystem of Earth, for the better, or worse.
I agree with you. Nothing we can do will do a thing.
Old 6/9/08, 11:50 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,624 Posts

FYI this is a Mustang website, and not some religious forum. Therefore either stay on the thread topic at hand, or keep your personal references/opinions about God to yourself !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 6/10/08 at 12:25 AM.
Old 6/10/08, 05:03 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Louie
Please post up when you get an answer from the tuners, I have an XCal too.

However, I'm afraid E85 is not yet the answer here in Holland. So far there are only 5 stations in the whole country where it is available and it's 20% more expensive than normal gas. These idiots here are completely missing the point of E85...
Hi Louie, got this answer from Avanti in Austria. I'm sure you understand German but basically states that E85 is Euro 1,039 in Salzburg that's compared to 1,38 for Super. What does E85 cost you in Holland?

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage bezüglich E85!

Zurzeit kostet der Liter E85 in Salzburg 1,039€. An der Avanti Tankstelle in Salzburg-Gnigl, Wolfgangsee Strasse 28 ist seit 05.Juni Superethanol E85 erhältich.

Zurzeit gibt es E85 noch an 4 weiteren Tankstellen in Österreich:

1140 Wien, Guldengasse 14
4020 Linz, Unionstraße 71a
3452 Mitterndorf, Gewerbestraße 4
8010 Graz, Fischer Gasse 12

Nähere Informationen finden Sie auch auf unserer Homepage www.avanti.at. Auf dieser Seite gibt es alle relevanten Informationen Superethanol E85 betreffend und auch die aktuellen Spritpreise werden Ihnen angezeigt.

Sollten Sie noch weitere Fragen haben, können Sie sich jederzeit gern bei uns melden!
Old 6/10/08, 05:04 AM
GT Member

FYI this is a Mustang website, and not some religious forum. Therefore either stay on the thread topic at hand, or keep your personal references/opinions about God to yourself !
Well said mate...here here...

So back to the subject...Is anybody here using E85 except for me?
Old 6/25/08, 10:31 AM

I switched to E85 recently. I am turbocharged so the benefits are greater that just being N/A.

When switching the tuning is fairly simple. I have been slowly increasing the boost but so far I can run 20lbs of boost and I am running my 93 octane spark tables with no signs of detonation.
Old 6/25/08, 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey, fixmejesus, your not suposed to drink E85...

Anyway, any new updates on how E85 is working for those who have it? I'm mostly interested in those who are N/A.

Last edited by mot250; 6/25/08 at 11:39 AM.
Old 6/25/08, 11:52 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mot250
Hey, fixmejesus, your not suposed to drink E85...

Anyway, any new updates on how E85 is working for those who have it? I'm mostly interested in those who are N/A.
I'm still running it and still paying $2.99/gallon
I installed a larger throttle body now and am getting only ca. 17mpg now, but it makes the car so much more responsive low-mid range...

...also went for my first inspection with e85 in the car, there were no issues due to the fact that NO "check engine light" illuminated and what can they say about the low emissions...

Last edited by andyukok442; 6/25/08 at 03:54 PM.
Old 6/25/08, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by andyukok442
I'm still running it and still paying $2.99/gallon
I installed a larger throttle body now and am getting only ca. 17mpg now, but it makes the car so much more responsive low-mid range...

...also went for my first inspection with e85 in the car, there were no issues due to the fact that NO "check engine light" illuminated and what can they say about the low emissions...
So did you ever pull the plugs and such to see how they looked?

I really wish I could find an SCT II version of an E85 Tune. I think we should all start asking the top tuners for an SCT II and III version so they understand the interest an maybe come through with something.
Old 6/26/08, 04:55 AM
GT Member

I wanted to pull the plugs but then read an article about how easy they break off in the heads without first emptying some sort of carbon dissolver into the sockets first and leaving them soak for a while, I will get round to it within the next weeks, I drive only on weekends and find little time during the week.
Old 6/26/08, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

GOD HATES YOU.
Old 7/9/08, 02:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

VMP Tuning has a $40.00 "tune to E85" option in their mail order drop down. I don't think that was there the last time I checked. I just emailed Justin to see if he could shed more light on that and if he's been able to get around to testing with that barrel of E85 he had the last time I asked.

I also sent another email to runE85.com to see what the status of his SCT XCal tune was.
Old 7/9/08, 02:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

BTW - Andy any further developments? Any MPG, ET's or Dyno #'s to report?

Quick Reply: E85 Performance Tune