GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

E85 Performance Tune

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/08, 04:33 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E85 Performance Tune

Okay I have finally done the swap to E85, if anybody is thinking about doing the swap and you have E85 in your area I can fully vouch and recommend that the performance gains are very noticeable.

I ran the car down to 18 miles to empty as I didn't trust driving any more without filling up, connected my DiabloSport Predator and uploaded the E85 tune where after I filled up 1 gallon (just being cautious), car started right away and I let her idle for a minute a then took her for a slow drive for a half mile or so, after that I opened her up and all was well Then went back to the gas station and filled her up for under $40.

I have more spark advance as well because of the slower burning fuel there is about 4-6 degrees more timing in the middle (part throttle) and about 3-3.5 degrees more @ wide open.

I will be pulling the plugs sometime soon, clean them and reinstall and then read them after a tank of E85 has gone through the motor.

Please don't use this thread to post your political views on E85, I'm just trying to pass on information to the rest of the Stang community.
Attached Thumbnails E85 Performance Tune-superstang.jpg   E85 Performance Tune-superstang_front.jpg  

Last edited by andyukok442; 4/18/08 at 08:43 PM.
Old 4/18/08, 07:37 PM
GT Member

Have you done any mods to the fuel system or engine in preparation for running e85?
Old 4/18/08, 07:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by rakkassan34
Have you done any mods to the fuel system or engine in preparation for running e85?
no mods needed...
Old 4/18/08, 08:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by andyukok442
no mods needed...
I am familiar with this.
Please explain in detail why no mods are needed.
It is not complex, I think you have done more research than I have and can explain it in more detail.
Here is something people need to know also:
"There is no conversion kit certified by the EPA that meets the standards to maintain clean exhaust emissions. Technically speaking, converting a vehicle that was designed to operate on unleaded gasoline only to operate on another form of fuel is a violation of the federal law and the offender may be subject to significant penalties."
Old 4/18/08, 08:18 PM
GT Member

take a look at this...
http://www.rune85.com/internal%20engine.htm
Old 4/18/08, 08:28 PM
GT Member

don't forget you have lubrication enough via the 15% gasoline and almost all modern fuel lines, tanks and fuel pumps are made of non corrosive materials.

I used to work with TAFC funny cars for 10 years and believe me I am fully aware the harm pure methanol can do, especially when it crystalizes but you don't have those problems with E85.

The cars computer controls the injector pulse-width and as the car isn't blown or turbo charged the stock fuel pump and injectors are suffice.

Last edited by andyukok442; 4/18/08 at 08:39 PM.
Old 4/18/08, 08:48 PM
GT Member

I've been wanting to try this myself but didn't think the stock fuel system could handle it. Do you have any before 1/4mile times? if so are you planning on some after 1/4 mile times?
Old 4/18/08, 10:12 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by rakkassan34
I've been wanting to try this myself but didn't think the stock fuel system could handle it. Do you have any before 1/4mile times? if so are you planning on some after 1/4 mile times?
It does work...call Andy at rune85.com and i'm sure he'll explain most things 100 times better than I can. He also has a link to his tuning/dyno business there.

No times yet, will go for it this summer though, not many tracks around our way...
Old 4/18/08, 11:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Andy,
I was unaware that Rochester had E85 that readily available. And from everything I've read at the very least the fuel lines had to be swapped out to use E85 along with the fuel pump. I not saying it wont work because obviously you are running it. I guess my question is why does Ford say our cars are not E85 compatible. they do have that rating on some of their other cars; even on this site

http://e85vehicles.com/
Old 4/18/08, 11:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordRacing
Andy,
I was unaware that Rochester had E85 that readily available. And from everything I've read at the very least the fuel lines had to be swapped out to use E85 along with the fuel pump. I not saying it wont work because obviously you are running it. I guess my question is why does Ford say our cars are not E85 compatible. they do have that rating on some of their other cars; even on this site

todays fuel hoses can easily withstand E85, they aren't of the old brittle variety any more. as for the fuel pump i'm sure it's more than capable of feeding the injectors at WOT.

obviously no car company would make themselves liable. actually we have two stations in Rochester now $2.75/Gallon for 105 octane...
Old 4/19/08, 03:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much of a fuel economy hit are you expecting? I know E85 is not as fuel efficient as regular gasoline, and am curious how much of a difference you are experiencing. The $2.75 a gallon sounds awesome, but is it justified by the lower fuel mileage?
Old 4/19/08, 05:57 AM
GT Member

with the rune85.com tune they say one could be looking at around a 10% loss in fuel economy on the highway, and about a 15% loss in around town driving.

I will keep you updated as soon as I stop putting my foot on the gas pedal like a maniac
Old 4/19/08, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by FordRacing
Andy,

It is certification of the cars lack along with adaptive tuning.
Ford has gone forward with a few vehicles.
If they are not EPA certified, they cannot be sold as E85 cars.
Certification and tuning cost money
Why spend the money when big cities like Boston don't even have the fuel.
Old 4/19/08, 08:47 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by karman
I am familiar with this.
Please explain in detail why no mods are needed.
It is not complex, I think you have done more research than I have and can explain it in more detail.
Here is something people need to know also:
"There is no conversion kit certified by the EPA that meets the standards to maintain clean exhaust emissions. Technically speaking, converting a vehicle that was designed to operate on unleaded gasoline only to operate on another form of fuel is a violation of the federal law and the offender may be subject to significant penalties."
This conversion kit is EPA approved.
http://www.fullflexint.com/
Old 4/19/08, 08:49 PM
V6 Member

Glad to see it worked out for you andyukok442 .
Old 4/19/08, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn13
This conversion kit is EPA approved.
http://www.fullflexint.com/
Kit is EPA compliant.
It meets or exceeds all requirements put forth by the EPA.
It is NOT EPA certified.
That would require testing on each individual vehicle.
Old 4/19/08, 11:16 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

what kind of gas mileage you getting with E85?
Old 4/19/08, 11:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by karman
Kit is EPA compliant.
It meets or exceeds all requirements put forth by the EPA.
It is NOT EPA certified.
That would require testing on each individual vehicle.
just be careful with kits where you have to mess around with connecting some device to your injector terminals, e85.com has dyno tuned profiles for the Mustang GT and that's why it can not only achieve good milage but great performance as well. Those kits are probably pumping in an over rich mixture and might even be just a generic kit for many vehicle models.
Old 4/19/08, 11:28 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dustindu4
what kind of gas mileage you getting with E85?
I can't tell for sure right now, but if the onboard computer is anything to go by, i'm getting around 22m/gallon highway right now and ca. 19m/gallon town. But it's early days as I only converted Friday and I am guilty of putting my pedal down a lot right now.
Old 4/20/08, 03:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

I noticed on their website they support the Predator tuner, but they don't mention the X-Cal. I wonder if they could make up a tune for the X-Cal? If so, they would probably sell a bunch of tunes to the Mustang community. I might buy one, but I don't want/need to spend $400+ on a Predator when I already have an X-Cal that does the same thing.

Quick Reply: E85 Performance Tune