Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andyukok442
i will mate
hey andy whats your email?
if you dont want to give it out shoot me a email shadyninja2@aol.com
Old 5/24/08, 08:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

Okay, so I read the E85 site and it looks like all it is is a tune. So can Doug or Brent make up an E85 tune for our Xcal programmers?

Or did this require changing of fuel lines as well? I'm going to be installing a GT500 pump, maybe I can look into corrosion resistant lines as well. From the discussion, it seems the lower BTU might be beneficial to reducing predetnotation in supercharged applications. What do you guys think, would E85 damage a supercharged car?

-Darth
Old 5/24/08, 08:59 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Darth Stang
Okay, so I read the E85 site and it looks like all it is is a tune. So can Doug or Brent make up an E85 tune for our Xcal programmers?

Or did this require changing of fuel lines as well? I'm going to be installing a GT500 pump, maybe I can look into corrosion resistant lines as well. From the discussion, it seems the lower BTU might be beneficial to reducing predetnotation in supercharged applications. What do you guys think, would E85 damage a supercharged car?

-Darth
I think a supercharged engine would thrive on the hi-octane fuel.
Check out this guys page: http://www.brightmare.net/
Old 5/24/08, 12:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish someone had an E85 tune for the X-Cal, I would buy it.
Old 5/24/08, 04:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Stang

-Darth
The performance side of E85 tuning really benefits forced induction applications. That's why I'm curious what difference it makes on an NA engine. The Monster Talon at my local dyno shop (holds the record for most HP out of a Mitsu 2.0) got almost 100HP out of using E85. I'm curious what it would be for an NA car. Would it be a couple, or more like 10-15... That's my real question.
Old 5/24/08, 11:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by theedge67
I wish someone had an E85 tune for the X-Cal, I would buy it.
Ditto that, mate. I just emailed Doug (Bama), Brent (Brenspeed), and Justin (VMP) to see if they have thought about doing anything like this.
Old 5/27/08, 07:12 PM
V6 Member

I am waiting to hear back from the guys who did the OP's tune...
Old 5/29/08, 10:04 PM
GT Member

I emailed these guys about an X-CAL tune as well and have received no response.
Old 5/30/08, 02:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man this is interesting....

i would do this too if they can get xcal tunes for us....

i can get e85 around here
Old 5/30/08, 03:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BuzzyStang05
Ditto that, mate. I just emailed Doug (Bama), Brent (Brenspeed), and Justin (VMP) to see if they have thought about doing anything like this.
Please post up when you get an answer from the tuners, I have an XCal too.

However, I'm afraid E85 is not yet the answer here in Holland. So far there are only 5 stations in the whole country where it is available and it's 20% more expensive than normal gas. These idiots here are completely missing the point of E85...

Last edited by Louie; 5/30/08 at 03:57 AM.
Old 5/30/08, 06:36 AM
GT Member

well for $2.99/gallon v $4.25/gallon (93) @ 19 mpg average maybe a Diablo will save you dollars long term. But there again nobody can predict where the prices of E85 are gonna go long term.

How much is a liter in Holland Louie? I'm moving back to Salzburg, Austria soon, they have E85 there just not sure what the price is.

In the UK they are paying ca. $12/gallon for gas, so have some thoughts for those guys next time you're filling up.
Old 6/2/08, 02:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ok, here's a quick report (paraphrasing some emails from memory):

Bamachips: No plans at the moment for e85 tunes.

VMP: Can do one now, have a barrel e85 sitting here, haven't had a chance to test it in a car yet. Would need to buy at least two separate tunes for e70 and e85, will lose about 20%-30% mileage.

Brenspeed: We do not have specific tunes set up for E85 but a lot of our customers have been trying E85 on our 87 octane tunes and have not had any complaints. The only bad thing about E85 is that your fuel mileage goes down so the cheaper price is not giving you much benefit when you burn through more.

Pro-Dyno: Working on it ! (SCT X-Cal II tune)

The 20-30% seems contrary to what andyukok442 is reporting. Seems that a specific E85 tune should be more efficient than 20-30% loss. What's everyone think?

I mainly drive highway and am getting 22.6 MPG on "regular" gas (10-15% ethanol). E85 is going for 2.95 here, regular $3.75 (lowest in the US, can't complain).

I think I'll wait until Pro-Dyno has an SCT tune or VMP does some more in-house testing before pulling the trigger.
Old 6/2/08, 05:38 PM
Cobra R Member

I'll say it again, the only reason to go E85 on these cars would be for the performance value. On a NA car, there's not much to be gained from what I can tell, on a NA car
Old 6/3/08, 02:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm wondering if the adaptive tune in the Bullitt can handle E85. On the Flex Fuel 5.3L GM motors I was told it is all handled by the PCM.

BB
Semper Fi
Old 6/4/08, 01:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Centurion96
I'm wondering if the adaptive tune in the Bullitt can handle E85. On the Flex Fuel 5.3L GM motors I was told it is all handled by the PCM.

BB
Semper Fi
I was thinking the same thing. The Bullitt PCM can automatically tell the difference between 87 and 91-93, so maybe

If so, permanently swapping to a Bullitt PCM could be another route to take rather than a handful of tunes to upload and always bugging your fuel attendant about when their formulas change.

Anyone with a Bullitt want to give it a try?
Old 6/5/08, 07:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
For '07 and up the tune will be available from Steeda so I am curious. That plus the FRPP Bullitt CAI is now available from Ford makes the Bullitt tune look feasable and desirable. If it can handle E85 which I have available at our base service station at work then I'm all for it.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...+adaptive+tune

We don't have corn down here but the state is looking seriously into using bio mass from the production of cane sugar as well as the vast timber industry in North Florida. It's coming and I plan on keeping this car for a very long time.

BB
Semper Fi
Old 6/5/08, 08:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Sugar cane actually makes better ethanol than corn, and is cheaper and easier to refine.
Old 6/5/08, 01:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
Sugar cane actually makes better ethanol than corn, and is cheaper and easier to refine.
I think there's some county in South America that is completely self-sufficient on sugar ethanol and requires no importing of oil for fuel. Can't remember which one though. They have miles and miles of sugar cane as far as the eye can see in some places.
Old 6/5/08, 02:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BuzzyStang05
I think there's some county in South America that is completely self-sufficient on sugar ethanol and requires no importing of oil for fuel. Can't remember which one though. They have miles and miles of sugar cane as far as the eye can see in some places.
ehm... Brazil
Old 6/5/08, 06:06 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkFireGT

And just where will the Sugar cane come from ? If you thinking anywhere in the U.S. then you had better think again, because first of all. Sugar cane requires warm weather climates to grow.

And even warm weather states, such as Florida and California, just don't have enough landscape, in order to grow enough Sugar cane to keep up with supply and demand.

The only other option, would be to import Sugar cane from Brazil, and you know full well if that were to happen. Brazil would end up jacking their prices, and holding us hostage much in the same way as those rag heads from the Middle East, have been doing for over 35 years with their imported oil.

By the time it's all said and done. Imported Sugar cane will eventually cost just as much as imported oil.

What we really need, is to come up with our own alternative fuel sources, such as liquid coal. In which West Virgina produces more coal than what the Middle East does with all their imported oil, combined. Another option could also be the possibility of converting natural gas, into fuel as well.

That being said, the goal is to become fully independent of foreign oil, and not look for a substitute from some other country, who will only hold us hostage all over again !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 6/5/08 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply: E85 Performance Tune