GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SixtySix
Mine is: STFU
Old 11/19/06, 06:56 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laser98
Do mean as in Windsor or Romeo, (might be a stupid question but..)where is the S197 block made
Wow, I've been away for too long. Haven't logged in sincy July and there are so so many questions I could have helped out with...

First for you S197 block question.
4.6L Aluminum block has always been cast outside of Ford.
However the inserting the cylinder sleeves and all machining is done in Romeo. There is a slight but widely unknown difference between the aluminum block they used for the 4.6L 4v and the one in all of our cars. The cylinder bolts holes are cut slightly deeper with slightly longer head bolts. (greater clamp load)

Windsor made a 4.6L block but it is cast iron and uses dowels instead of an outer main bearing bolt like Romeo. Romeo's cast iron block also uses jack bolts on the mains instead of a double press fit main like in the Aluminum Block.

Lastly (cause this is getting close to a novel) the engine never had a code like Terminator or Hurricane or Boss... just the 4.6 3V... If you really want a name the modular engines always carried the "Triton" designation but it was dropped.....
Old 11/19/06, 07:22 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by True_HP
If you really want a name the modular engines always carried the "Triton" designation but it was dropped.....
Not that wikipedia is a reliable source but... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Triton_engine and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine state that Triton only applies to the truck engines
Old 11/19/06, 08:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by AFBLUE
Not that wikepedia is a reliable source but... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Triton_engine and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine state that Triton only applies to the truck engines

When I was selling them back in the '90s when they first came out, we only called the truck engine Triton.
Old 11/22/06, 02:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

The 4.6 32V in a Mark VIII was called an Intech, it was just a bit of marketing because Cadillac had their Northstar engine name.
Old 11/22/06, 05:57 AM
GT Member

Triton is probably going to be the most accurate. Modular simply means that it is installed in more than one chassis, right? Like trucks?
Old 11/22/06, 06:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I have heard (long ago) that it was called modular because of the tooling in the engine plants were modular, and did not refer to the engines using modular components.
Old 11/22/06, 09:26 AM

All these motors are Modular...2 valve, 3 valve, 4 valve. The reason is b/c you're supposed to be able to use all the same bolts, etc. The idea is to be able to use the same block and go with any of the 3 sets of heads. You can do this, it just requires a little modifying for it to happen. Example, I have a 4.6L cast iron Windsor block in my car with 3 valve heads on it. I couldn't tell you what year the Windsor block it, but I know it's not a 2005.
I don't see the reason for needing a name for this motor. Just call it what it is: 3 valve, 281ci. I just call mine a huffer due to the hairdryer shoving air into!
Old 11/22/06, 09:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

169stang: That is a logical perspective, but I have heard (long ago, like 6-7 years ago from those in the know) that modular referred to the tooling for the engine production line.
Old 11/22/06, 09:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The Modular V-8 didn't get its name from its design. The name was derived from its manufacturing plant protocol--Modular--because the engine plant can be changed out in a matter of hours to produce different versions of this engine family.
Source: http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa...lar_v8_engine/

I heard the SAME THING from those in the know almost a decade ago.
Old 11/22/06, 09:34 AM

okay
Old 11/22/06, 09:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Sorry for the double post before. The modular engines have come a long way from a gutless naturally aspirated 2V 4.6 barely making 200 hp.
Old 11/22/06, 09:48 AM

Don't you think that if everything uses the same bolts, parts etc. that they would use the same tooling to produce them? It's the same thing.
Old 11/23/06, 08:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 169stang
Don't you think that if everything uses the same bolts, parts etc. that they would use the same tooling to produce them? It's the same thing.
No it isn't the same thing. Most of the "modular" parts are produced by suppliers. For example, the water pump used on the 99-01 Mustang Cobra and Mustang GT also fit the Romeo 4.6 2V V8s and the 5.4L 2V V8. I know, because I have one in my 2000 Crown Vic. The impeller design was entirely different but it had the same fit, form, and function. However, the water pump was made by a supplier and not the Romeo engine plant or the Windsor engine plant.

It has been established in the past that "Modular" refers to the manufacturing protocol for the engine and not how "some" parts can be swapped from one engine platform to another, although the latter seems logical in SOME instances which causes many people to think that is what "modular" means. Also you must remember the modular engine was originally intended for front-wheel drive cars and there was some plan to reconfigure the engine plants to switch between producing engines for FWD and RWD applications.

BTW

The October 2004 issue of Motor Trend featured a large segment on 2005 cars. In the small profile box for the 2005 Mustang GT, it described the new Mustang as having a "fastback" profile.
Old 11/23/06, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex
No it isn't the same thing. Most of the "modular" parts are produced by suppliers. For example, the water pump used on the 99-01 Mustang Cobra and Mustang GT also fit the Romeo 4.6 2V V8s and the 5.4L 2V V8. I know, because I have one in my 2000 Crown Vic. The impeller design was entirely different but it had the same fit, form, and function. However, the water pump was made by a supplier and not the Romeo engine plant or the Windsor engine plant.

It has been established in the past that "Modular" refers to the manufacturing protocol for the engine and not how "some" parts can be swapped from one engine platform to another, although the latter seems logical in SOME instances which causes many people to think that is what "modular" means. Also you must remember the modular engine was originally intended for front-wheel drive cars and there was some plan to reconfigure the engine plants to switch between producing engines for FWD and RWD applications.

BTW

The October 2004 issue of Motor Trend featured a large segment on 2005 cars. In the small profile box for the 2005 Mustang GT, it described the new Mustang as having a "fastback" profile.
No one is arguing with you here. I'm not saying that EVERY modular motor uses the exact same parts. Probably 80% of the bolts used are the same though. That would enable them to use the same tooling in production. You kinda make it out to be that I have to say verbatim what you are saying. I can take some 4V heads and install them on my block. It will require slight modification, but it can be done. Point is, there are quite a few interchangeable parts with the vast majority being held together with the same fasteners/bolts etc.
Old 11/23/06, 08:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 169stang
No one is arguing with you here. I'm not saying that EVERY modular motor uses the exact same parts. Probably 80% of the bolts used are the same though. That would enable them to use the same tooling in production. You kinda make it out to be that I have to say verbatim what you are saying. I can take some 4V heads and install them on my block. It will require slight modification, but it can be done. Point is, there are quite a few interchangeable parts with the vast majority being held together with the same fasteners/bolts etc.
I do know for sure that the 4.6/5.4 2V V8s used the same cylinder heads and camshafts, and that many other components can interchange among the modular engine family. I don't disagree with you though, but the point I'm trying to make is that the design/interchangeability of engine parts (like cylinder heads) isn't how the modular engine got its name
Old 11/25/06, 08:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Willie
Chevy = LT1/LT4/LS1/LS2/LS6/LS7.... you get the idea. FYI, these are all RPO codes.
2005+ Mustang GT = ????
2005+ V6 = ????

There must be a code for this engine. What would that be??

And while I'm at it, what does "S197" mean and what is it's origin?
They should just call the engine a flux capacitor