GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Coast Driveline 1-piece aluminum driveshaft install (w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/08, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you attribute the cable to the marks? I just noticed I have the same marks on mine too and mine is the Spydershaft model.
Old 1/22/08, 04:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 05Blackbeauty
Can you attribute the cable to the marks? I just noticed I have the same marks on mine too and mine is the Spydershaft model.
Bill/Bill
Looks like both of your cars are lowered. I also have a Spydershaft but my car is NOT lowered. I have about 100 miles on my install and I will be under the car this weekend. I will be looking at things very closely!!
Scott
Old 1/23/08, 08:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05Blackbeauty
The marks on the DS are from the stamped steel hump in the tunnel. My DS never contacted the bolt on the e-brake cable bracket; it was relocated as a precautionary measure.

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
I have about 100 miles on my install and I will be under the car this weekend. I will be looking at things very closely!!
Scott
It's a good idea to look over the whole DS periodically for damage no matter what manufacturer or diameter you have.
Old 1/23/08, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
The marks on the DS are from the stamped steel hump in the tunnel. My DS never contacted the bolt on the e-brake cable bracket; it was relocated as a precautionary measure.
I wonder if adding some dynamat or something soft like that to the hump would help with protection?
Old 1/23/08, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

My spydershaft used to rub, so I always figured it was pinion angle adjustment needed, I guessed my installer did it wrong. So last week i installed BMR LCA Relocation brackets (these things rock! no more squat, car feels much better overall, more solid) and no more rub. I guess that adjusted the angle just enough. I will still take it to another shop to get properly adjusted. I also have steeda sport springs and an auto.
Old 1/23/08, 08:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ren274u
My spydershaft used to rub, so I always figured it was pinion angle adjustment needed, I guessed my installer did it wrong. So last week i installed BMR LCA Relocation brackets (these things rock! no more squat, car feels much better overall, more solid) and no more rub. I guess that adjusted the angle just enough. I will still take it to another shop to get properly adjusted. I also have steeda sport springs and an auto.
Relo brackets only adjust the angle of your LCA's. They have nothing to do with adjusting pinion angle.
Old 1/23/08, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Relo brackets only adjust the angle of your LCA's. They have nothing to do with adjusting pinion angle.
do you think they are made within perfect specifications? I doubt that. but if you say so then i guess its from the lack of squat on acceleration now.
Old 1/23/08, 08:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ren274u
do you think they are made within perfect specifications? I doubt that. but if you say so then i guess its from the lack of squat on acceleration now.
Well they can't be to far of considering the mounting holes for the LCA bolts are in the same place for every stang. The squat explanation makes more sense.
Old 1/23/08, 08:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Well they can't be to far of considering the mounting holes for the LCA bolts are in the same place for every stang. The squat explanation makes more sense.
Your probably right, thats why I still have to take it in to get adjusted correctly.
Old 3/11/08, 10:05 PM

Just want to say thanks to TB for his write up. I installed my driveshaft this weekend and with the help of the writw up install went without a hitch and no vibrations. Coast instructions very vauge at best. Thanks again
Old 4/15/08, 07:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i know this might be a little late but from an article in MM&FF about mods for the S197, they had to bang in that little hump, that is how they solved the problem with the coast DS
Old 10/19/09, 11:47 AM

Hey Bill:

Great write-up...

What is that factory hump+hole for? Any concerns if it's just flattened out with a mallet?

I'll probably be getting a 1-pc DS later this month. My car is lowered 1.5" in the rear via FRPP springs, so I'm expecting the same type of issue. I'll also take care to relocate that bracket.

I discovered a riding/rubbing condition between the driveshaft and a stamped steel hump within the tunnel.
Rubbing appears to be only superficial and no deep scratches or gouges exist at this time.
I do believe that this occurred when I carried 2 passengers in the rear seats (~170 lbs combined) a month ago. Until I resolve this issue, NO rear passengers!

As previously noted, I have the Steeda Ultralite lowering springs which lowered the vehicle approx. 1" at the rear.
As a precautionary measure, I relocated the e-brake cable bracket away from the center tunnel so there's no chance of the driveshaft to come in contact with the bolt head (on that bracket).

Relocation of this bracket can be accomplished without the removal of the driveshaft, although drilling the new hole can be quite challenging.

Stock location of e-brake cable support bracket
Old 10/19/09, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by 06GT
What is that factory hump+hole for? Any concerns if it's just flattened out with a mallet?

I'll probably be getting a 1-pc DS later this month. My car is lowered 1.5" in the rear via FRPP springs, so I'm expecting the same type of issue. I'll also take care to relocate that bracket.
Factory purpose for the hump/hole? I have no idea. Flatten away, it's a recommended procedure from Coast and probably other 4" driveshaft manufactures specific to our S197's.
Old 10/19/09, 12:28 PM

Factory purpose for the hump/hole? I have no idea. Flatten away, it's a recommended procedure from Coast and probably other 4" driveshaft manufactures specific to our S197's.

Sounds good, thanks for the quick response!
Old 12/11/09, 08:49 PM

I discovered a riding/rubbing condition between the driveshaft and a stamped steel hump within the tunnel.
Rubbing appears to be only superficial and no deep scratches or gouges exist at this time.
I do believe that this occurred when I carried 2 passengers in the rear seats (~170 lbs combined) a month ago. Until I resolve this issue, NO rear passengers!

As previously noted, I have the Steeda Ultralite lowering springs which lowered the vehicle approx. 1" at the rear.
As a precautionary measure, I relocated the e-brake cable bracket away from the center tunnel so there's no chance of the driveshaft to come in contact with the bolt head (on that bracket).

Relocation of this bracket can be accomplished without the removal of the driveshaft, although drilling the new hole can be quite challenging.

Bolt removal

Metal band around the cable sheathing was crimped in place by the factory. Slightly open up the bracket with a flat blade screwdriver so the bracket can slip over the band. Can use pliers to close the opening gap if necessary.

Protective tape applied to cable sheathing to avoid any rub-thru condition. I used a metallic tape, but duct tape should work fine.

Mark and drill new hole.

Relocation complete

Bill...
I guess I am looking at the picture of the bump wrong.... I don't see how the bump is rubbing the shaft?? It looks like the bump is aiming down....
Do you have any pics of the bump after it is flattened out??

BTW.... Terrific write ups. Unbelievable amount of detail in instruction & pics.
THANX
Old 12/14/09, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by lobe50
Bill...
I guess I am looking at the picture of the bump wrong.... I don't see how the bump is rubbing the shaft?? It looks like the bump is aiming down....
Do you have any pics of the bump after it is flattened out??
Bump is facing downwards. As the rear suspension moves up (driveshaft too), it made contact with the high point on that bump.

I don't have any pics of the bump as it is now. It only has to be flattened in just a little.

Best time to do this is when the driveshaft is out of the car.
Old 12/16/09, 07:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bolt removal

Metal band around the cable sheathing was crimped in place by the factory. Slightly open up the bracket with a flat blade screwdriver so the bracket can slip over the band. Can use pliers to close the opening gap if necessary.

Protective tape applied to cable sheathing to avoid any rub-thru condition. I used a metallic tape, but duct tape should work fine.

Mark and drill new hole.

Relocation complete

We recently discovered the same markings on mine last week... I believe it's from the same thing and we're going to flatten out the 'hump' this weekend.
Old 12/18/09, 04:41 PM

Thanks Bill. I got the visual right now...

I am really torn on whether to spend the $150 or so extra for the DynaTech 3.5" shaft or just go with the Coast???

The DynaTech requires a pinion shaft swap correct?????
Thanks
Old 12/18/09, 04:52 PM
GT Member

I have had the Coast for a few years now and have no complaints...its been in and out a few times and never any noticable vibes...I did have the exact same rubbing issues as TB until i beat that bump out and added a adjustable 3rd link...the extra money for the 3.5 may be worth it if you are not willing to use a BFH on the tunnel and/or adjust the pinion angle...
Old 12/19/09, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by lobe50
I am really torn on whether to spend the $150 or so extra for the DynaTech 3.5" shaft or just go with the Coast???

The DynaTech requires a pinion shaft swap correct?????
Thanks
Really up to you. Read the reviews from other members and ask questions.

If the DT requires a pinion flange swap, I have a basic write-up on it here. Look it over, it may sway you to the Coast.

Quick Reply: Coast Driveline 1-piece aluminum driveshaft install (w/pics)