GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

CAI intake temperature datalog request!

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/05, 07:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good job Steve!

It's hard to say exactly, but it does appear that the C&L doesn't heat soak as fast as stock (I was at 138F w/84F ambiant at the 4 minute mark!) and it cools off much quicker. You dropped 31 degrees from the start to the end of the 30mph test. Stock, I only dropped 13F on the same portion! Also, you came within a couple of degrees of ambiant with extended driving at 60, but I only came down to about 14F above ambiant with a stock intake.

All in all, I would DEFINITELY say the C&L is a much better COLD air intake than stock!

Thanks for collecting some data for us. It is appreciated!

Who's next? We are all still waiting ot see what the WMS w/Ram air can do!
Old 10/3/05, 07:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to see some WMS data! I am offering 6 naners to the first person who data logs this CAI.
Old 10/3/05, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@October 3, 2005, 3:15 PM
blackhat97,

What type of tuner did you use to retune for the WMS intake? Both the Predator and the SCT X-calibrator 2 can datalog using a laptop and the supplied (or at least, available) software. It is VERY cool to get it up and runing and see exactly what your engine is doing while going down the road!

05STG1,

Yeah. Win98 has CRAPPY support for USB. SE2 was better, but still not great. I'm just glad that my work laptop is running WinXP. Of course, over the weekend, I was going to install my wideband O2 sensor system and datalog A/F ratios. Until I found out that a) It appears to require a special tool to remove either of the front O2 sensors and B) my laptop does not have a serial connection that I need to communicate with the wideband controller. Oh well. I'll have Mom order the tool (she works at Vision Ford) and I already ordered a serial to USB converter.

Good luck getting the USB issues worked out.

Oh! One thing I forgot to mention! If you use the X-Cal 2, then you need to download the USB drivers for it from www.sctflash.com. WinXP will not recognize the device until you install the drivers. Download them, install them, and the plug your X-Cal2 in and you should see that little pop up in the lower right corner saying it found new hardware and installed the drivers for it. After that, you should be able to fire up LiveLink and get kicking.

Thanks RRR, Im on a mission to get this done. We need numbers for this intake. And it would be nice to see a WMS with the "NASA shielding" and one without to see the difference.
Question for you, Is there Anyway for me to dump the win98 and load WINXP into an older laptop? Its a Compaq presario 1247 if that helps any. This is still on topic...right

Mike,

Yes. ! Shannon left a message today. the 95's are still a couple weeks away, and I should have one stat when they are so that I could test that as well. I hope the folks with the 95mm kit got theirs, dont know if this delay includes the ones in the GP.
So for now, its the 80mm for me. I called there last week and informed WMS about the Outerwears, he sounded very pleased about it, should come with the kits IMO.

darn U Bill gates lol I will get this worked out...
Old 10/4/05, 02:43 PM
Cobra Member

05STG1,

Sure... The only hold up on installing XP on an older laptop will PROBABLY be memory related. If my research is correct, your laptop only came with 32MB stock and could be extended to only 160MB. Win 98 didn't like running on that small a system and XP will absolutely chock! I wish I had something better to say...
Old 10/4/05, 04:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@October 4, 2005, 1:46 PM
05STG1,

Sure... The only hold up on installing XP on an older laptop will PROBABLY be memory related. If my research is correct, your laptop only came with 32MB stock and could be extended to only 160MB. Win 98 didn't like running on that small a system and XP will absolutely chock! I wish I had something better to say...
Per Microsoft . . . Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional

• PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive

• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
Old 10/4/05, 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

ok, lets see King and RRR

It says windows 98 second edition
Its a 400 MHZ and checking the system it says 28MB
It has an AMD-K6 3D processor with a CD-rom

Memory 28MB
system resourses 58%
File system 32 Bit
virtual memeory 32 bit
PC card 32 bit

This is the info I have from the computer, Im stumped

OK...One other thing to throw into the mix RRR, Now with the software loaded, and drivers. I plug in the X2, and I get as far as the main screen. I click the configure datalog icon, and the computer tells me "device initialization failed, check connections". Did that 6 or 7 times I tried.

Does the X2 need to be setup for this in some way?
Old 10/4/05, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05STG1@October 4, 2005, 7:37 PM
ok, lets see King and RRR

It says windows 98 second edition
Its a 400 MHZ and checking the system it says 28MB
It has an AMD-K6 3D processor with a CD-rom

Memory 28MB
system resourses 58%
File system 32 Bit
virtual memeory 32 bit
PC card 32 bit

This is the info I have from the computer, Im stumped

OK...One other thing to throw into the mix RRR, Now with the software loaded, and drivers. I plug in the X2, and I get as far as the main screen. I click the configure datalog icon, and the computer tells me "device initialization failed, check connections". Did that 6 or 7 times I tried.

Does the X2 need to be setup for this in some way?
It's a driver issue . . . check the SCT site for their FAQs.
Old 10/4/05, 09:08 PM
Bullitt Member

will do
Old 10/5/05, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Right behind you 05STG1 with the WMS air box and intake datalogging. I have the computer setup, just waiting for my order from Summit to finish the install.

I do have one question for you.....what did you do with the hood support that use to notch into the factory radiator cover that the air box replaces? Did you go with a new hood support?

thanks....hags
Old 10/5/05, 09:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

hags,

The WMS retains the use of the stock hood prop. There is a little piece which comes with the kit that you insert into the WMS rad cover which holds the stock prop rod.
Old 10/5/05, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

thanks blackhat.....I figured they thought of something...

Sorry for the hijack question......back to the datalogging.

hags
Old 10/5/05, 06:14 PM
Bullitt Member

That little piece also caries a FORD part number..lol

Good luck Hags, no luck yet for me with the computer. I think my X2 needs to be set up in some way from the Tuner, I'll get it sorted soon, but is dissapointing thus far..

The hood rod is gone, I went with the Stainless struts from redline tuning. I hate the look of that rod, its also in the way of this cool intake It takes a good slam to shut, but lifts right up out of the way.
Old 10/9/05, 08:02 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@September 17, 2005, 1:57 PM
Greywolf,

It doesn't matter one tiny bit that all air has moisture in it already UNLESS you are talking about the temperature drop CAUSED by evaporation INTO the moist air! We are talking about a DRY temperature probe. It does NOT evaporate at all. Therefore, the amount of moisture IN the air has ZERO impact on the temperature of the reading.

The moisture in the air WOULD affect the temperature of that wet towl. The more moisture the slower the water on the towel would evaporate, therefore you would get less of a temperature drop on the towel. Which, is all driven by the energy needed to cause liquid water to transition to a gas. That is were the temperature drop occurs.

This is all basic college thermodynamics. Go get a college thermo book and look up evaporative cooling. It will go into all the details you need to know to understand how moisture in the air impacts temperature drops caused by evaporation. Also, read up ont he first and second law of thermodynamics while you have the book out. This will all make more sense then.
Where can I pick up my course completion certificate?

And to think I came here to learn more about my car! This is good stuff!
Old 10/9/05, 08:29 PM
Cobra Member

I kind of went off on Greywolf. Probably a bit more than I should have. After over a year in college thermo classes, I know how this bit works and he kept jumping in with incorrect information. I can't STAND wrong data! Pet peeve!

I DO have to add this: After finishing up the assorted thermo classes, I knew one thing. I didn't know diddily squat about thermo! When I started the classes, I thought I had a general understanding of how thermo worked. After three classes, I knew I didn't know anything. Which means I still know more about it than the other 99.9% of people who actually think they understand it! Because I KNOW I don't understand it. It is a very strange subject.
Old 10/10/05, 06:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yes, I think we ended up more debating thermodynamics than getting datalog results. I wish some more people would post up info. I think it would be very valuable to find out which CAI really sucks in cold air.
Old 10/10/05, 06:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

anyone do the K&N intake?
Old 10/10/05, 09:45 AM
Cobra Member

Personally, I'm still waiting on a WMS datalog to be posted! That is still the number 1 intake on my "maybe" list, followed by the C&L and JLT intakes. But we need good, solid datalogs on ALL the intakes (K&N and MMR in addition to all the the others!) so we can build a good, solid baseline of data.

So, COME ON folks! Spend an hour to datalog your intake and post it here to help your fellow TMSers!

For those who have not read the whole thread, please the first post to see what kind of data we want posted here and how to collect it.
Old 10/10/05, 04:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I also think the WMS will provide the coolest numbers.

RRR, its my X2. Sounds like my tuner needs to "turn" those functions on for mine,spoke with my tuner.
It seems like my laptop might work. I wont be able to get this done until after Fords @ E-Town, some time next week.
Old 10/15/05, 03:35 PM
JLH

I just did data loging with a 90mm WMS intake with the Ram Air Tray and here are my results.

Ambiant air temp 64-65 deg. F.

Coolant Temp 196-199 deg. F.

06 GT with Automatic Transmission.

I drove around for about 25 minutes to get everything warmed up and started the log.

Intake temp at the start of the 4 minute heat soak was 65 deg. F.

1 min. in 69 deg. F
2 min. in 92 deg. F.
3 min. in 102 deg. F.
4 min. in 106 deg. F.

Started out and accelerated to 30 mph and drove for 4 minutes at 30 mph.

30 sec. - 82 deg. F.
60 sec. - 79 deg. F.
90 sec. - 77 deg. F.
120 sec. - 75 deg. F.
150 sec. - 74 deg. F.
180 sec. - 72 deg. F.
210 sec. - 68 deg. F.
240 sec. - 67 deg. F.

Accelerated to 60 mph.

Temp dropped to 65-66 deg. F in less than 30 seconds and remained there

I then did another heat soal to 106 deg. F. and immediatley went to 60 mph and the intake temp droped to 65-66 deg. F. in less than 60 seconds.

I do not have any insulating material on the ram air tray, or anything to seal it to the hood. It is installed just as the instructions indicated.

I feel that insulating and sealing the tray to the hood would reduce the amount of heat that the intake gained durring the heat soak test. But my test results show that once the tray and intake have been cooled by the incoming air they will run at close to ambiant temp without any modifications.

I hope this will be of help to your survey.

JLH
Old 10/30/05, 08:03 PM
Cobra Member

JLH,

I could kiss you bud! And you are definitely not my type! I had almost given up on anyone datalogging a WMS intake and havent looked at this thread in over two weeks. I thought it was dead, actually!

And hear you chime in with the data that a LOT of us were looking for. Thanks man!

As expected, the WMS appears to have the slowest intake temperature rise and the fastest fall back to ambiant when going down the road of any intake datalogged so far. It absolutely KILLS the stock intake! I think the WMS can safely call itself a "Cold Air Intake" indead!

Now, I just need to see some dyno numbers on the 95mm kit before I buy myself a nice Christmas present (or how ever the heck you spell that!).

Thanks again bud!

Quick Reply: CAI intake temperature datalog request!