GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

CAI intake temperature datalog request!

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/05, 03:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i guess i just think possibly his ambient temperature was cooler than he thought
Old 9/14/05, 04:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by AJC@September 14, 2005, 2:10 PM
I dont even give a rat what people buy -
I think what he's saying is, outside air temperature was reported as 82, and the min IAT during the test was 12 degrees below that. You must realize that this is virtually impossible? Air flowing under the car/thru the fender/thru the air filter can't possibly cool down (without a bag of ice on it). I don't doubt what the datalog reads, but the outside air temperature would have had to have dropped during the test, or the sensor was in error, or something else.
Old 9/14/05, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Good testing 94tbird, nice work. U as well Hatchman

I imagine that this is a sensitive issue with some, lets not make it that way. Honest and fair testing is all we need for all of us to learn.

All the air kits are good pieces, it just comes down to personal preference.

As for multiple testing of the same CAI's, why not ? It shouldnt discourage anyone from trying it out on their own and compare tests...
Old 9/14/05, 05:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Hatchman@September 14, 2005, 6:14 PM
I think what he's saying is, outside air temperature was reported as 82, and the min IAT during the test was 12 degrees below that. You must realize that this is virtually impossible? Air flowing under the car/thru the fender/thru the air filter can't possibly cool down (without a bag of ice on it). I don't doubt what the datalog reads, but the outside air temperature would have had to have dropped during the test, or the sensor was in error, or something else.
Thats exactly what i meant. i guess i couldnt find the right words or way to say it
Old 9/14/05, 05:55 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmm - I should hopefully be getting a Bamachips tune and Xcal 2 package soon. I will test this when I can - I have the JLT CAI - but I also have the California Dream hood and this will be a perfect chance to see about the air the vents dump onto the filter.....
Old 9/14/05, 06:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

good point. your numbers may very well decide that hoods fate in my eyes
Old 9/14/05, 07:55 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Unless the predator datalog is totally wrong.

the numbers are straight off my 2 hr long datalog playback.. I Would love to send them to anyone who wants to check them out... and see for yourself. I was suprised myself.. and if you notice evertime I slowed down the temp shot up fast....very fast...

as for the temp that is taken right off the arlington airport weather station that is three miles from my house. That day was nasty hot humid day. One of the reason I chose to run the datalog, besides the fact I was checking a tuning change I had made earlier.
Old 9/15/05, 07:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by AJC@September 14, 2005, 8:58 PM
Moving air is cooler so Its not impossible - Unless the predator datalog is totally wrong.
No, moving air is not cooler. It is the same temperature as it was before your car started moving. The difference is that moving air FEELS cooler because of heat transfer. The moving air is absorbing some of the heat through conductivity, convection, and dissipitation. Air is pulling heat away from our body, that's why wind feels cooler when the wind is blowing. Anyway, don't want to get into a physics discussion, but it's still impossible that air cooled off 12 degrees just by driving your car through it.

Peace, out.
Old 9/15/05, 08:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for correcting that Hatchman. My fingers were twitching, but I wanted to avoid sidetracking this link even more.

So, let's get back on track folks! Anyone one else with new data?
Old 9/15/05, 07:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Burke0011@September 14, 2005, 5:58 PM
Hmmmm - I should hopefully be getting a Bamachips tune and Xcal 2 package soon. I will test this when I can - I have the JLT CAI - but I also have the California Dream hood and this will be a perfect chance to see about the air the vents dump onto the filter.....
Right on Dave!!!!
That's very close to my setup ya know.
Interested in seeing your results.

Steve
Old 9/16/05, 07:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

When the temp is taken from weather stations it is isolated from the sun and from the wind. While the wind won't actually make it cooler the temp gauge will read cooler due to various factors convection evaporative cooling etc. So the temp gauge in his car can function normally and read a cooler temp than ambiant.
Old 9/16/05, 07:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow...gone for a few days, and this is still going about the this one test?... let it go...NEXT

Is anyone else going to log some numbers?

RRR,
Doesnt Look like anyone else is interested. When I get my filter, I will....
Old 9/16/05, 09:55 AM
Cobra Member

Greywolf,

I guess I do have to jump into this. Wrong. Evaporative cooling ONLY affects things that evaporate! Things like people. Evaporative air conditioners, wet towels, etc. It has NO affect on a dry temperature probe. None. Zero. Nadda. The temperature probe in the car is ALSO shielded from sunlight, so it's temp is not being impacted by the sun shining on it either.

Also, If you have 80F air blowing across a temperature prob that is in the shade it doesn't matter HOW fast the air is moving! If the temperature of the air is 80F and the temp probe is dry, it will read 80F. It will NOT read less than the air temperature. It can't. That's a blatent violation of the laws of thermodynamics.

It IS possible that the weather station temp was significantly higher then his actual, local temp or that the temperatures dropped during the test (weather blowing in, getting later in the day, etc.). But that has nothing to do with the fact that his car was moving, other than he might have moved to a cooler area.
Old 9/16/05, 04:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

i agree. since this thread started ive become an expert on thermodynamics and what you said is 100% true
Old 9/16/05, 09:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

All air has moisture in it.
Old 9/16/05, 10:41 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

oh well
Old 9/17/05, 01:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Greywolf@September 16, 2005, 9:22 PM
All air has moisture in it.
Greywolf,

It doesn't matter one tiny bit that all air has moisture in it already UNLESS you are talking about the temperature drop CAUSED by evaporation INTO the moist air! We are talking about a DRY temperature probe. It does NOT evaporate at all. Therefore, the amount of moisture IN the air has ZERO impact on the temperature of the reading.

The moisture in the air WOULD affect the temperature of that wet towl. The more moisture the slower the water on the towel would evaporate, therefore you would get less of a temperature drop on the towel. Which, is all driven by the energy needed to cause liquid water to transition to a gas. That is were the temperature drop occurs.

This is all basic college thermodynamics. Go get a college thermo book and look up evaporative cooling. It will go into all the details you need to know to understand how moisture in the air impacts temperature drops caused by evaporation. Also, read up ont he first and second law of thermodynamics while you have the book out. This will all make more sense then.
Old 9/17/05, 04:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

right on!
Old 9/17/05, 06:20 PM
GT Member

I thought I would bring this data to this thread so that we can all benefit from real data. This link should show the difference in temps at different speeds for an F350 intake and FIPK. Interesting info. The guy used a foil clad car window shade to insulate his airbox and plastic OEM pipe of the air inlet duct. The results were substantial. I know this is not a Mustang...but good info. The metal make-up of the FIPK seems to be a detriment. I am definitely going to insulate the same way with Thermo-Tec tape and heat shield laced wrap. Performance over aesthetics!! I know insulating the 'Ram Pan' of the WMS CAI has helped. Hope the link works!!

Intake Temp Comparison
Old 9/17/05, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

i insulated the C&L plastic bezel and saw no real difference after my datalog posted before. i used the same heat shielding as those who installed the wms ram air tray used. I bet if i were to insulate the intake tube itself it might.

Quick Reply: CAI intake temperature datalog request!