GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

CAI intake temperature datalog request!

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/05, 11:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gents,

There has been so many threads talking about the advantages of various materials and functionality of various CAI in reference to intake air temperatue. Given that there are so many Predators and X-Cal 2s out there in the hands of various folks with aftermarket intakes, why don't we data log some temperature data and FINALLY put a nail in this coffin?

Here is what I propose:

1) Setup: Everyone datalog vehicle speed, outside air temperatue and inlet air temperatue.
2) Warm the car up completely for at least 15 minutes driving were you want and how you want.
3) Data log the car at idle for at least 4 minutes (like you are sitting at a long light)
4) Data log the car at 30 mph after at least 1 minute to let temps stabalize
5) Data log the car at 60 mph after at least 1 minute to let temps stabalize

Once you have collected the data, post it here. We need to see the vehicle speed, outside air temp and inlet air temp for each of 3), 4) and 5) above. You folks with stock intakes can join in too. From my own experience, you should find that the stock intake is pulling in a LOT of hot air, at least mine does! For item 3), be sure to show what the temps were when you started idling and what they were at the end of 4 minutes.

Let the data logging begin!
Old 9/10/05, 06:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im game with the WMS...but the filter is @ Outerwears at the moment, and battery is moving to the rear.
Sounds like fun to me, I'd play right now

4 min is a long light

Why let stabalize, why not record them them as well??
To throw a guess out there, I bet the WMS will have the cooler temps out them all....especially during #3..IMO

Car is warm when water hits 180, and oil ~150. I can get that well before 15 minutes, I like this idea.I'd have numbers for you right now....lol

Lets see some numbers memebers, this is interesting.
Old 9/10/05, 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ladies and Gentlemen . . . . . datalog your engines . . . .
Old 9/10/05, 09:38 PM
Cobra Member

05STG1,

The reason I specified 15 minutes is to make sure everything is up to temperature. The engine will warm up quickest, but it will take longer for all the "other" stuff under the hood to hit their normal temperature as well. And until they do, we really don't know what the heat soak is doing to the intake air temp.

I agree. 4 minutes IS a long light! That's why I picked that number. Worse case.

I'll try to get out and collect my data tomorrow on a stock GT intake system.

What got me thinking about this was when I was seeing 132F inlet air temps while sitting at a light (playing with my X-Cal 2 of course!). The outside air was only 90F! Once I was moving down the road, the temps dropped down, but they stayed well above ambiant temp, even on the interstate at 80 mph.
Old 9/10/05, 10:23 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
RRRoamer, what intake are you using?
Old 9/11/05, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by StangNut@September 11, 2005, 12:26 AM
RRRoamer, what intake are you using?

Ditto
Old 9/11/05, 09:32 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@September 10, 2005, 9:41 PM
I'll try to get out and collect my data tomorrow on a stock GT intake system.
Old 9/11/05, 09:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Old 9/11/05, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by GOFISCH@September 11, 2005, 11:00 AM
Ditto

Someday I'll learn how to read.
Old 9/11/05, 04:28 PM
Cobra Member

Ok. Here are my results with a stock GT intake (and other than tune, stock GT)

1) The ambiant air temperature for this test was 82F. I'm sure it changed a bit as I drove around, but nothing major.

2) I drove a round for just under 22 minutes before I started the heat soak.

3) At the START of the heat soak, the inlet air temperature was 116F (+34F)

4) At the 4 minute mark, the inlet air temperature was 139F and still rising! (+57F)

5) Sonic didn't deliver my Coke for a few more minutes, so at the end of just under 7 minutes, the inlet air temperature was 148.4F (+66.4F) AND STILL RISING! Just rising slower...

6) At the start of my 30 mph cruise, the temperatue was 146.8F (+64.8F)

7) At the end of the one minute at 30 mph cruise, the temperatue was 133.8F (+51.8F) and still falling. I had a red light, so I had to bring the 30 mph cruise portion of the test to an end.

8) I had to drive around 45 mph or so for the next several minutes before I got to were I could set the cruise at 60 mph. Just under 8 minutes passed from the end of the 30 mph test to the start of the 60 mph test. Needless to say, things cooled off quite a bit in that time!

9) At the start of the 60 mph test, the inlet air temperature was 102.2F (+20.2F) and fairly stable (I can see every single stop light just with the inlet air temperature!).

10) At the 1 minute mark, the inlet air temperatue was 96.0F (+14F).

11) I kept the cruise set for a bit longer, and at the end of 1 1/2 seconds, the inlet air temperatue was 95.6F (+13.4) and stable.

So, what can I say about the stock air intake? It absorbs a LOT of heat from the engine compartment. Based on the slow response time of the air temperature, it is also pretty clear that most of the temperature problems are DIRECTLY related to the inlet system heating the air as it passes through it. Otherwise, the temperatures would react quickly once the car is moving and fresh air is being rammed under the hood.

Now, we just need to see the results from different aftermarket systems!
Old 9/11/05, 05:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

if i can get this darn x2 to work again il ldatalog the C&L cai. i got it to work the first time i tried and now am getting the device not initilized error.
Old 9/11/05, 05:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I think this is worthy to go to the general S197 performance area. I'd like to see if some guys with V6's join in with info.

mods?
Old 9/11/05, 05:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Fantastic stuff. Thanks RRRoamer.
Old 9/11/05, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice RRR, good work there . I cant say Im surprised by those numbers, but I didnt expect them that high from the stock box. Look where the stock box is getting air from, I would have expected a little cooler temps considering where its drawing air from.

IMO, there's not much available fresh air where the stock box sits. Im sure most have looked from underneath and noticed that as well. The engine compartment (lack of heat extractor vents) holds alot of heat under hood, not to mention pressure.
Aftermarket CAI's have shields, do they seal up against the hood? I never noticed..

Mmmm...Sonic, wish I had them around here.
Old 9/11/05, 06:38 PM
GT Member

Interesting Stuff. Where are you measuring the inlet air temp? I ask because if you are taking readings from the space between the air box & the fender opening, then the stock induction system itself would not be the source of the warmer air.

Can you rig a temp probe in the rubber boot in place of the breather tube? That would give you some pretty accurate numbers.
Old 9/11/05, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

The MAF has the ACT built into it. So need to use a "probe" or anything.
Old 9/11/05, 07:05 PM
GT Member

Thanks. I guess I should have known that, but I don't have a tuner yet.

So your readings are coming from the space between the stock airbox and the HC trap, if you have one, or the molded intake tube if you don't.

In theory, then, if you insulated the inside of the stock airbox, you could reduce inlet temps.

Wonder why Ford didn't think of that.
Old 9/11/05, 07:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

RRRoamer . . . . thank you for base lining the stock system. The results leave me to wonder why Ford gave us such a turd of an intake system ????

Alright . . . . let's cut to the chase . . . . . WMS Ram Air CAI owners . . . . anybody able to datalog yet??
Old 9/11/05, 08:16 PM
Cobra Member

Who's next? It only took about 45 minutes or so and it was an excuse to go get a Route 44 Coke from Sonic! And because I had to let it warm up for 15 minutes, I went to the one that always has GREAT Cokes too!

I admit I wasn't surprised by the temps, but I WAS surprised by how SLOW the stock system cools back down. Real slow response time.

I also have to admit that I am not 100% sure WHERE the "inlet_air_temperatue" value is measured from. I assume it is the MAF, but I do NOT know this for sure. Does anyone (SCT, Bama, Brenspeed, etc) have a list of available signals and where they come from? It looks like a lot of signals are simply processed versions of the raw data. For example, there are two (at least) inlet air temperatures. One gives you the raw temp to a tenth of a degree. The other one only changes by 2 degree increments. Which one does the CPU actually use?
Old 9/11/05, 08:20 PM
Cobra Member

ManEHawke,

Personally, I would rather it stay here. The V6 and GT are different enough that it would definitely be comparing apples to oranges (oranges are better, by the way!). Also, the S197 performance forum is pretty dry. I know I never look there. I always go straight to the GT subform (and occasionally to the V6 forum to see what those guys are doing!). Needless to say, if the V6 guys want to take the idea and run, that would be great!

Quick Reply: CAI intake temperature datalog request!