GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bumpsteer Kit

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/07, 10:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumpsteer Kit

Has anyone installed a bumpsteer kit on their S197? I've got a Steed kit laying out in my garage and was going to install it soon. I am just looking for pointers or tips for the install.
Old 4/21/07, 06:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I just had the Steeda Bump Steer Kit installed this week. Yesterday I had the alignment done, which is a must, so it was my first time driving with the kit. My first impression right now is that the steering feels loser on teh Highway. I will have to drive is some more to see if I like it.
Old 4/21/07, 08:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by R3troGT
I just had the Steeda Bump Steer Kit installed this week. Yesterday I had the alignment done, which is a must, so it was my first time driving with the kit. My first impression right now is that the steering feels loser on teh Highway. I will have to drive is some more to see if I like it.
Let me know your thoughts with a few more mile.
Old 4/21/07, 09:05 PM
Cobra Member

Its hard to tell the benifit of the kit unless you actualyl measure the bump steer before and after you install the kit, else you won't have any way to know how much or where it was improved.
Old 7/30/07, 11:38 PM
Cobra Member

what does it do?

hi guys,

i lowered car with eiback pro and there are LOTS of bumps in NYC.

is a bumpsteer kit imperative?

thanks!
Old 7/31/07, 09:00 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YaoNYC
hi guys,

i lowered car with eiback pro and there are LOTS of bumps in NYC.

is a bumpsteer kit imperative?

thanks!
You might want to check into the Steeda X-5 ball joint. They don't give quit the adjustably a bumpsteer kit gives but their a far superior ball joint compared to the factory ball joint .
Old 7/31/07, 09:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wow is the spell checker broken today

I never noticed a bumpsteer issue with the S197 Sounds like extra parts for no particular reason. It was an issue with the SN95's but it has nothing to do with the current car. I can see new ball joints for cars as low as ones with Eibach springs for 'perfect' geometry(and the punishing the Eibach's deal out to the car), but the new car just doesn't get that out of shape when lowered.
Old 7/31/07, 11:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
wow is the spell checker broken today

I never noticed a bumpsteer issue with the S197 Sounds like extra parts for no particular reason. It was an issue with the SN95's but it has nothing to do with the current car. I can see new ball joints for cars as low as ones with Eibach springs for 'perfect' geometry(and the punishing the Eibach's deal out to the car), but the new car just doesn't get that out of shape when lowered.
Well! Mr. Grammar I thought this was a tech forum, not a composition forum.... I've got a 1.3 inch drop on the front of my Stag, I have no bumpsteer issues myself....but from the few hundred posts on this issue some feel they do. Have you actually seen the factory ball joint, as in have you personally had the front end of your car apart. The steeda X-5 is is a far Superior unit compared to the factory ball joint. this option would give one the opportunity to gain some adjust ability and up grade to a better component at the same time for about the same cost of a bumpsteer kit..Heres a photo of the steeda X-5 ball joint, race qaulity!........
Attached Images  
Old 7/31/07, 02:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

yes yes and yes. Funny enough you just posted agreeing to exactly what I said

If you are using a very low spring like the Eibach, they will beat the tar out of the stock ball joint, and the geometry starts getting off, especially with the rear LCA's. I passed on going over a 1" drop because you should change at least 10 parts going lower when the Ultralites are perfectly fine with all the stock parts.
Old 7/31/07, 04:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

yes yes and yes. Funny enough you just posted agreeing to exactly what I said

If you are using a very low spring like the Eibach, they will beat the tar out of the stock ball joint, and the geometry starts getting off, especially with the rear LCA's. I passed on going over a 1" drop because you should change at least 10 parts going lower when the Ultralites are perfectly fine with all the stock parts.
.. Glad to see your original statement clarified ......
Old 7/31/07, 05:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just did the stylin' basics because I haven't determined what type of power adder I'm going with later before picking things like gears/suspension so its designed around its motor and how it applies power. Even when I eventually convert to coil-overs and more hard core bits, I'm probably staying at roughly the same height as now. I figured I would address traction and braking issues as they present themselves as the mods add up, rather then building up a N/A car, then turning it into a FI car and having to change half the stuff.
Old 8/1/07, 06:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I just did the stylin' basics because I haven't determined what type of power adder I'm going with later before picking things like gears/suspension so its designed around its motor and how it applies power. Even when I eventually convert to coil-overs and more hard core bits, I'm probably staying at roughly the same height as now. I figured I would address traction and braking issues as they present themselves as the mods add up, rather then building up a N/A car, then turning it into a FI car and having to change half the stuff.
I cant blame you Kevin ! If your planning to keep your Stang awhile I think coil-over is the way to go !.........
Old 8/2/07, 06:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
I am kinda new here but this is one of the first threads I have seen about lowered cars and the bump steer kit. I have not seen any mention of the crappy stock ball joints with lowered cars either. Most say with the eibach kit you really don't need any thing else but then go on to say get the panhard rod and some better shocks and struts.
What does the bump steer kit actually do? I assume they let things travel a little eaiser?
Old 8/2/07, 07:02 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I am kinda new here but this is one of the first threads I have seen about lowered cars and the bump steer kit. I have not seen any mention of the crappy stock ball joints with lowered cars either. Most say with the eibach kit you really don't need any thing else but then go on to say get the panhard rod and some better shocks and struts.
What does the bump steer kit actually do? I assume they let things travel a little eaiser?
Glenn I'm running Ground force performance springs they have about the same drop as the Eibachs. I personally have had no bumpsteer issues either but my thought where if one was, the x-5 ball joint could be a option it has some ajustibilty and is a race quality ball joint ! Kinda like killing two birds with one stone! alleviate some bumpsteer and up grade ball joints at the same time.