GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brenspeed Vortech Package No More?

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/08, 03:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by officespace56
So the air-to-water square contraption is a Vortech intercooler?
Technically no, but remember that really Vortech & Paxton are basically the same company. Look at the Paxton website and the Vortech website, you'll see that the 'cooler you mentioned is standard on the Vortech kits, and not standard on the Paxton. But again, you can piece it together however you want, like I did last year- vortech blower, paxton cooler.
Old 9/3/08, 03:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see, I see. So you went with the paxton cooler because you liked the air-to-air process better. What made you go with the Vortech blower?
Old 9/3/08, 08:45 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think he orginally had the non-cooled vortech then later added the paxton cooler. I could be wrong though...
Old 9/3/08, 09:03 PM
Cobra Member

Oh yeah that's right. Just wondering why he chose the Vortech over the Paxton. BTW How do you like your 2200? How much power are you putting out @ what psi?
Old 9/4/08, 05:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
I think he orginally had the non-cooled vortech then later added the paxton cooler. I could be wrong though...

Yep that's right Adam. Started off little with the Vortech blower, eventually added the Paxton cooler for increased boost and performance, and now have a Saleen twinscrew.
Old 9/4/08, 06:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom281
Yep that's right Adam. Started off little with the Vortech blower, eventually added the Paxton cooler for increased boost and performance, and now have a Saleen twinscrew.
So what's next Tom?
Old 9/4/08, 12:06 PM
Cobra Member

Tom, I know you love the torque from the Saleen, but which do you recommend for a DD? I am worried about a TS because I would constantly be in boost, and with the Cetri I wouldn't hit boost until the upper RPM's.
Old 9/4/08, 01:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
So what's next Tom?
Spec 3+, Ram adjustable TOB, Spec steel flywheel, and upgraded 26 spline input shaft.

Then next year forged internals and 15psi.

Tom, I know you love the torque from the Saleen, but which do you recommend for a DD? I am worried about a TS because I would constantly be in boost, and with the Cetri I wouldn't hit boost until the upper RPM's.
Either system only works at WOT or heavy engine load. Example, with a twinscrew you won't be in the boost at all under normal driving conditions. I had the same fear as you, that's one reason why I originally went with a Vortech. But now after having both, the 100+ additional lb/ft of torque on demand is much more enjoyable when you do choose to "get on it" and have a little fun. The top-end pull of the centri is awesome, but getting pushed back into your seat as low as 2500 rpm is a great sensation LOL.
Old 9/4/08, 01:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Spec 3+, Ram adjustable TOB, Spec steel flywheel, and upgraded 26 spline input shaft.

Then next year forged internals and 15psi.
Spec 3+.. hope you have a strong left leg.

15 psi?? Someone's looking to go into 600 rwhp country!

The top-end pull of the centri is awesome, but getting pushed back into your seat as low as 2500 rpm is a great sensation LOL.
I agree. Boost only comes on with a load. By letting the gearing raise the rpm with little throttle, you can hit redline at zero boost.

By not having a TS, I had to go with 4.10's and an aluminum flywheel and DS for my low rpm neck snapping.
Old 9/4/08, 07:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
DUUUUUDDE!!! I haven't been on this site in a couple of days. i just got home from a night of drinking and one of the first things I see is this vid... That was great!!!!!Pouring what i think is beer on your ride to make a toast, I mean, who does that?!!! TACOBILL, your awesome!!!
Agreed! I love the center brake light, lol!
Old 9/4/08, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill

By not having a TS, I had to go with 4.10's and an aluminum flywheel and DS for my low rpm neck snapping.

Wow this is a really tough decision, I keep going back and forth- TS-Centri-TS-Centri. I have ridden in a 97' with a TS and it is just flat-out fun. I have yet to know someone with and centri. The price of a twinscrew seems to amount to less than a intercooled centri with driveshaft, aluminum flywheel and 4.10's though....ahhh decisions decisions.
Old 9/4/08, 11:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
If I had it all to do over again, I would have started with a stock GT and bought twin screw for it. However, since I thought I'd never have the extra money to buy a blower, I did 4.10's and a big stall converter (plus tune & CAI). Then, the extra money for a blower materialized, so I had to pick a blower that best matched the 4.10's and stall converter (as I couldn't really afford to remove those items, too). Centrifugal made the most sense for my circumstances. Car launches drama-free since the centri doesn't make much boost down low, but dang does it ever pull hard as the revs climb! And the 4.10's and stall converter do help with the launch (although nothing like a twin screw would've done, I'm sure!).

Either way, both blowers have their good points and either is more power than a basic bolt-on car could be.
Old 9/5/08, 08:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow this is a really tough decision, I keep going back and forth- TS-Centri-TS-Centri. I have ridden in a 97' with a TS and it is just flat-out fun. I have yet to know someone with and centri. The price of a twinscrew seems to amount to less than a intercooled centri with driveshaft, aluminum flywheel and 4.10's though....ahhh decisions decisions.
I agree, tough choice, but if you're doing cost comparisons, you shouldn't include the driveshaft in with just the centri, because (IMHO) you'll need that either way. Probably the same with the flywheel, since that's not something I would consider strictly required just for the centri. The 4.10s, yes.
Old 9/6/08, 08:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have the Vortech intercooled system in my car the past 2-3 months. Love it, power as the RPMs increase is awesome, I'll be looking for more power in a few months. Love the whistle makes at idle and cruising, its sublte but noticable. One of the reasons I went with a centri.

If I had to do it again I'd go with a nice turbo set-up for some sick numbers.
Old 9/6/08, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Worth noting, the Vortech & Paxton blowers are basically the same blowers. Doesn't one of the two companies own the other? They look identical, other than the name stamped on the ID tag.
Yes ,Vortech bought out Paxton. I had the chance to get the Paxton or the Vortech,But was told by my sponsor Vortech rep @ the time ,that both are good superchargers,but he suggested the Vortech because of the internal workings,but he would leave it to my choice.But at the time, I didn't realize the Paxton made more boost and if I did,I probly would have went with the paxton.
I'm still happy with the Vortech,but as everyone knows more HP is addicting! you make 500 rwhp and then you want more and so on.So when I have the bottom end forged I'll have to change set up,but thats way down the road.
Old 9/6/08, 02:45 PM
Cobra Member

Jon, did you order your Vortech as a package from somewhere? What extras are you running with your Vortech?