GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Borla vs. Corsa: Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/06, 06:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Hey guys, just a quick update.... in the process of installing the Bassani X, I stripped one of the stock manifold studs last night. So, I'm putting a new stud in and should be back on track tomorrow. The combo I'm working on is the Borlas with the catted X; then I plan to try the Corsas with the catted X. I'll post back with pix and clips as soon as I can, thanks for being patient.

Tom
Old 12/1/06, 06:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by qkrnsht
I'm excited too! Make sure to post vids of the Xpipe with the Borla's! Your doing your Mustang brothers a real service by what you are doing!
Thanks! Hopefully the weather will clear up enough so I can get some good clips this weekend.

Originally Posted by nancegt350
Can't wait ... just wanna know what the off road X sounds like with the Corsas.
I see you bought the Corsas! Last thing I remember is you were still debating...... how do you like them with the H pipe??

Originally Posted by GPStang06
Not thread Hijacking, just had the Magnaflow Hi-Flow catted X installed. to go with my FRPP/Stingers. I'll try to get a clip up sometime this weekend.
Hey Gary, sounds like you made a great choice. Did you hook up with Steeda again for your Magnaflow? That's a quality piece for sure.

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Tom how much is that mid pipe replacement from Borla? I looked on they're site and couldn't find it.
If you're referring to the over-axle pipes, it comes as part of their "cat-back" kit. You can buy just the mufflers or the complete kit. I think the catback kit number is 140135 or something- if you need info, let me know I'll find it for you.

Originally Posted by TacoBill
+1

Tom, I understand your exhaust experiment. Keep us posted with vid clips of the various combinations you're trying.
It's always fun to tinker with exhaust. In my opinion, how the car sounds is very important to the fun factor of driving. I really like the Corsas, but once I got started on this project it's kinda gotten outta hand. It's interesting though that Borla and Corsa are super-premium kits and yet they are much different from each other.

Originally Posted by ChrisM
Tom,

When you complete this project and if you decide not to keep the Corsas, send me a PM please - I'd like to buy them.

I've got Flowmasters on the stock piping now and the Corsas seem to be the best choice for the stock environment.

Thanks, Chris.
Hey Chris, I'll let you know if I decide to sell. Shoot me a PM if you want so I have your contact info.
Old 12/1/06, 06:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SlamMan02
how did the sound grow with the X in comparison to just the stingers?

Oh man it grew. The car is just "alive" now. The Borla sound didn't change at all but it is much more aggressive now and the response is very noticable. I am going to sound clip it and compare it to the clip of just thr stingers I have.

Originally Posted by tom281
Hey Gary, sounds like you made a great choice. Did you hook up with Steeda again for your Magnaflow? That's a quality piece for sure.
Sure did Tom. Pat from the South Florida Stang board hooked me up. Couldn't pass it up with the price I got out the door. Great group of guys over there.
Old 12/1/06, 08:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

12/1/06 Update:

Ok, buttoned up the Borlas with Bassani catted X pipe. My initial impression is that I like the sound. It has a nice deep tone, not much raspiness and sounds good overall. I did notice that with the cats inplace, the drone is noticeably louder than without cats. IMO its not intolerable, but louder for sure.

Pix:

Bassani BX X pipe with cats and race pipes, $275 delivered- can't beat EBAY!!

X design:

Borla pipes leading to the X:

Borla/Bassani meet:

The cats........

Regarding the Bassani X, once I wrestled with it for a while and figured out the sequence of assembly, it really isn't that bad. Overall I'm really happy with this unit.
Old 12/1/06, 09:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

And now some vids........ I'll try to get better clips this weekend. It's freezing here, including in my garage as you can see....

Borla catback with offroad H:

Borla catback with Bassani X with cats:

Recipe for fun: 1 man, 1 fast car, 1 empty lot, 1 video camera:
Old 12/1/06, 09:21 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love that sound with the bannani x, killer burn out!
Old 12/1/06, 09:27 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sound's like the catted bassani made it a little more quiet
Old 12/1/06, 10:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Wow, The vid in the parking lot sounds very similar to what my Stingers sound like with the Magnaflow. Hope to make a clip tomorrow.
Old 12/1/06, 10:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh and Tom, your videos just sent chills up my spine, holy Sh** man that looks cold. Don't miss that at all. Here, maybe this will warm you up

Old 12/1/06, 11:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Nice Tom! Do you like the X or the O/R H better with the stingers thus far?
Old 12/2/06, 06:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2005sonicgt
Sound's like the catted bassani made it a little more quiet
Yes, its more quiet than with the offroad H for sure. It lost some of its "mean sound". But, still sounds pretty good overall.
Old 12/2/06, 06:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
Very Nice Tom! Do you like the X or the O/R H better with the stingers thus far?
I haven't really decided yet....... I like how the o/r H sounds at idle and low speed, but I like how the catted X sounds at high rpm. I'm gonna drive it for a while with the catted X and see what I like.

After that, I'm putting the Corsas on with the catted X.
Old 12/2/06, 06:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GPStang06
Oh and Tom, your videos just sent chills up my spine, holy Sh** man that looks cold. Don't miss that at all. Here, maybe this will warm you up

Haha Gary, very funny..... I haven't seen a forcast like that in 4 months..... ! Nice one..... LOL!!
Old 12/2/06, 09:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nice vids Tom, yeah it looks pretty cold! We actually dipped into the high 20's on Wed night.

I like the sound of the x w/Borlas, but I am still curious on the sound with the Corsa's.

What is the sequence of the x? Down Pipes, legs, and then the x? If so that is what I figured, but when my exhaust shop put it on the did the down pipes, X and then tried to wiggle in the cats. Btw, I wonder if Bassaini changed their cats? Mine are different.

Hey, maybe you should do like Brent and place your camera on the side of the road and go through the gears for us.

Great write up and pics, now go get some hot chocolate!
Old 12/2/06, 09:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05-1947
What is the sequence of the x? Down Pipes, legs, and then the x? If so that is what I figured, but when my exhaust shop put it on the did the down pipes, X and then tried to wiggle in the cats. Btw, I wonder if Bassaini changed their cats? Mine are different.
At first I tried kinda what your shop tried- down pipes installed, then put the X on with the cats attached and try to muscle the legs into the cats. The biggest problems with that are: clearance, and the over-axle pipes. Since the X does not mate up to the axle pipes like the factory (or offroad H) does, it makes it challenging to have everything lined up with enough room to make the final adjustments.

Long story short: I moved the overaxle pipes outta the way. Then I fully assembled the X, cats, and down pipes and tightened everything all the way except for the down pipes. Then, I installed the whole assembly as one unit and lined up the down pipes to the manifolds before tightening them. After that, all that was left was to insert the overaxle pipes into the X and align the exhaust tips before tightening things down. If the Bassani X wasn't built to have the overaxle pipes slide into it, but rather just mate up to it and be held together with the factory clamps, it would be easier. I may make this modification before I'm done experimenting.
Old 12/2/06, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Tom it is to cool that you are doing this. When it all comes down to it you are going to love the corsa's with the x-pipe. once i put my x-pipe on i new i had found my combo.
Old 12/2/06, 10:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Tom,
Very cool vids. The X pipe sounds pretty good with the Borla's. I did not detect any raspiest that the Bassani X pipe is known to produce. At least with the Borla's. Loved the burn out. I can't believe you went out in this cold and layed on that garage floor last night. I need to get under mine and find the vibration I now have with the Mac Prochamber. The low tone it produces now has things buzzing and vibrating at certain rpm's. I was going under her last night to see if I could fix but the 28 deg. temps and 40 plus mph winds made me wuss out. Good luck in your search for the perfect exhaust tone. I am not convinced I have found mine but I think I am done playing with it for the winter. Good luck man. P.S. That weather perdiction for Florida is just plain MEAN!!!
Scott
Old 12/2/06, 01:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, here's a good comparison! Borla mufflers with Bassani catted X versus Corsa mufflers with Bassani catted X. In my opinion, both of these sound awesome....... but very different. The Borlas are much deeper, while the Corsas sound more "tuned" and seem louder while revving. Inside the car, the Borlas have drone and resonance around 1900 rpm; the Corsas are DEAD QUIET- I can hear noises inside the car that I've never noticed before. As for what one I like better? I'm leaning towards Corsas at this moment........ Here, listen and check them out!

Both vids shot at 12' behind the car:

Borla & Bassani catted X:

Corsa & Bassani catted X:

Both vids shot at the same location, one last night and the other this morning:

Borla:

Corsa:

What do you guys think??
Old 12/2/06, 02:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm probably partial since I have the Stingers but i think they sound better. I love a deep exhaust.
Old 12/2/06, 04:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I kinds like the Borla's. (**** close to what mine sounds like now with the Magnaflow X, video uploading). The Corsa's sound great in the garage vid but in the parking lot clip it almost sounds like you have no mufflers on. I think I am just partial to the Borla growl since I hear it every day.

Nice clips Tom.

Quick Reply: Borla vs. Corsa: Part 1