GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Borla or Corsa?

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/06, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pegasusphototx
I purchased: M-5230-5GT (Loud)
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=7707

So yep, I'm sure... and in the cabin, I don't see them being that loud compared to the stock exhaust.

-danny

I brough the m5230gta because of all the reported Drone and loudness. I wanted slightly louder than stock while crusing.

The 5230GTAs are quiter than the Stock Maunal Gt mufflers. They do have a nice throaty sound. I plan on installing the FFRP X pipe to see if they get any louder + an additional 5hp is nice.
Old 10/2/06, 12:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
... are there that many people who shift at 2000 and drive around town in 5th? that would be the only way drone would kill me.

honestly... I can see the drone bugging people... but its VERY easy to drive around it. I wouldn't change them for anything. And I hate drone...
I have to respectfully disagree with you, at least as far as my car is concerned. I have the 3.55 gears/ manual tranny and the drone is bad between 55 and 65 mph. It is worst at 60 mph. The only way around it is to leave the car in 4th gear, but that puts my car at around 3k rpm cruising at 60 which is annoying in its own right. The first four gears are tightly spaced, but 4th to 5th is a big jump. 4th it too low for driving at 60, but shifting to 5th puts it right into that range where the drone is the worst. I have a vert and I don't know if that has something to do with making the drone worse, but I am really astonished at how bad it is. It is much worse than I have seen anyone describe.
Old 10/2/06, 08:24 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well.. in the city..driving 50-65km/h, I have it in 3rd (hovering between 24-2600rpm)
On main 80km/h highways... I'm usually in 4rth... hovering in that same range.
I don't shift into 5th, unless I'm doing over 110km/h in an 80 or 100.
At that point, I'm past the sub 2000rpm range where drone is. (And yes I have 3.55s)

It isn't that hard to alter habbits to get around it.
I'm not going to say it isn't bad, but its completely livable in most situations (unless your going up hill, on a cold day, with the windows closed... making the engine chug.... then drone kills)
Old 10/2/06, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok. enough about the drone. Besides WOT what is your best frpp sound?

I love the popping and cracking sound shortly after startup when the pipes are still cool and i rev it and let off.
Old 10/2/06, 11:22 PM
GT Member

I have the Borla Stingers and there great! Best ones that give the car that old school muscle car sound. Corsa's are just too raspy for mey taste.
Old 10/3/06, 12:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Well.. in the city..driving 50-65km/h, I have it in 3rd (hovering between 24-2600rpm)
On main 80km/h highways... I'm usually in 4rth... hovering in that same range.
I don't shift into 5th, unless I'm doing over 110km/h in an 80 or 100.
At that point, I'm past the sub 2000rpm range where drone is. (And yes I have 3.55s)

It isn't that hard to alter habbits to get around it.
I'm not going to say it isn't bad, but its completely livable in most situations (unless your going up hill, on a cold day, with the windows closed... making the engine chug.... then drone kills)
Boomer, Another avatar? I like the mean man better. Why should someone change their driving habits to get around a sound? Diving a Stang should be enjoyable, not annoying. I respect your allegiance to FRPP, but that's insane .
Old 10/3/06, 02:38 PM
Cobra Member

I've been trading messages with a couple of guys that have FRPPs and have installed resonators. It sounds like that may be the trick. One said he has zero drone and the other said the drone was cut by 90%. That would make me VERY happy, I would much rather hear the loud rumble of the FRPP exhaust than that annoying teeth-grinding drone. I do love the sound of the FRPP's when not in the drone range and the tips look fantastic. If I can kill most of the drone with some resonators I will be a happy camper! I'll report back on the results.
Old 10/3/06, 05:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Good luck. Keep us posted. Like I've always said... I'm a big fan of the "Stingers", just leery of the drone.

P.S. How much are the resonators, where are they available, and where do they go... ? Is there any cutting involved? Thanks
Old 10/4/06, 08:49 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whoever complains about drone is a big baby. It's not even that bad. The only time it slightly annoys me is in 5th gear after driving for an hour with the windows up. But that's me, i'm only 21, I guess I can understand if your an old timer..........I don't only like to feel my car, I like to hear it!
Old 10/4/06, 09:03 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
P.S. How much are the resonators, where are they available, and where do they go... ? Is there any cutting involved? Thanks
Some people are using the resonators from Summit, they are 12" long and 3-1/2" diameter and run about 35 bucks apiece. They're not stainless though, they're powder coated. I found some others that are stainless and run 52 bucks each, I've got the link at home, I can post it later. They go between the H pipe and the axle, the pipes need to be cut and the resonators welded in.

Originally Posted by 2005sonicgt
Whoever complains about drone is a big baby. It's not even that bad. The only time it slightly annoys me is in 5th gear after driving for an hour with the windows up. But that's me, i'm only 21, I guess I can understand if your an old timer..........I don't only like to feel my car, I like to hear it!
You know, people like you have an incredibly narrow-minded view of the world. You think that because it's not bad in your car that everyone else is a big baby if they complain about it. All cars are not created equal, a minor drone in your car could be much more significant in someone else's car. It appears from comments I've read that the verts get the drone a LOT worse than the coupes. I'm 45, that may be an "old timer" to you now, but we'll see what you think when you're in your late 30's. To an 8 year old 13 is an old timer. To a 15 year old 21 is an old timer. I was driving muscle cars when you were not even a glimmer in your dad's eye and I KNOW what a REAL musclecar sounds like. THAT is the sound I am going for, and if you think that "drone" is a sweet musclecar sound then you don't know s***.
Old 10/4/06, 06:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Go Corsa. NO DRONE, strong sound.
Old 10/4/06, 10:56 PM
JGT
V6 Member

I don't only like to feel my car, I like to hear it!
Being able to hear my car is exactly why I plan on installing resonators...That obnoxious high pitched drone completely drowns out the beautiful sound of the exhaust. When car is droning I feel like I am driving a honda. Once I am out of the drone range, that is when it sounds like a true muscle car.
Old 10/4/06, 11:39 PM
Bullitt Member

To me, the drone issue varies from person to person. you'd think that if it was really a major issue, the manufacturer would have a say or explanation about it or actual recommendations to limit it. I personally don't have my Stingers yet, so I can't say either way, but will chime in once I do. To each, his own I guess.
Old 10/5/06, 10:40 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by tom281

Go Corsa. NO DRONE, strong sound.

WERD!!
Old 10/5/06, 10:48 AM
I Have Admin Envy

The great thing about the exhaust on these cars:

If we buy an aftermarket system we don't like, we can swap it out in less than an hour. Imagine realzing you didn't like these mufflers after having a shop weld them. Its a great option

I wonder how an FRPP x pipe would affect exhaust drone with Borlas?
Old 10/5/06, 11:09 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxie
I wonder how an FRPP x pipe would affect exhaust drone with Borlas?
Me too

Tell ya tomorrow
Old 10/5/06, 12:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

LOL... Sounds like something someone would say driving their daddy's car- OR, maybe daddy bought him the car... Nonetheless, I would find it hard to believe that he would be able to afford a Mustang, insurance, AND the exhaust, while flipping burgers at the golden arches. The only other alternative- SchoolBoy, but he has a difficult time with the English language as well. It is not "your" an old timer, It's "you're" an old timer. Did you hear that...? No? Maybe it's because of the DRONE! Yeah, his daddy bought the car.
Old 10/5/06, 12:53 PM
Bullitt Member

If anyone wants a good deal on a new set of Corsa's, let me know. I had them on my car for about an hour then pulled them. They sound absolutely great on most cars but I just installed American Racing 1 3/4" longtubes with their high flow catted X pipe. No drone with the Corsa's it was just way too loud at WOT and I don't want the cops looking for me from across town . Putting a set of Magnaflows on this weekend.
Old 10/5/06, 02:56 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

aUQA
Old 10/5/06, 02:57 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright

You know, people like you have an incredibly narrow-minded view of the world. You think that because it's not bad in your car that everyone else is a big baby if they complain about it. All cars are not created equal, a minor drone in your car could be much more significant in someone else's car. It appears from comments I've read that the verts get the drone a LOT worse than the coupes. I'm 45, that may be an "old timer" to you now, but we'll see what you think when you're in your late 30's. To an 8 year old 13 is an old timer. To a 15 year old 21 is an old timer. I was driving muscle cars when you were not even a glimmer in your dad's eye and I KNOW what a REAL musclecar sounds like. THAT is the sound I am going for, and if you think that "drone" is a sweet musclecar sound then you don't know poopoo.

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH YOU GOT ME OLD TIMER. I really doubt that there will be A huge difference in drone between a coupe and a convert. kaka, I have a prochamber which makes it drone more and I love it.

EDITED FOR CONTENT

Quick Reply: Borla or Corsa?