GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Borla or Corsa?

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/06, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neil07gt
Day 1 of FRPP/Borla stingers...I'm not gonna lie or sugar-coat it. They are *LOUD* as hell.
I'm not gonna lie or sugar-coat it either, but anyone who thinks FRPP/Borla (or any muffler for that matter) is *LOUD*, hasn't really heard *LOUD* yet. They are at least 2 steps below *LOUD*.
Old 9/6/06, 09:01 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by don_w
I'm not gonna lie or sugar-coat it either, but anyone who thinks FRPP/Borla (or any muffler for that matter) is *LOUD*, hasn't really heard *LOUD* yet. They are at least 2 steps below *LOUD*.
Those are the guy's that go from minivan to mustang!
Old 9/6/06, 09:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

For the record i'm not someone who goes from minivan to mustang.
Old 9/6/06, 09:27 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Old 9/6/06, 09:33 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I get drone when i'm in 5th, window's up, at about 2500 rpm's. Easily eliminated by rolling the window down.
Old 9/7/06, 04:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005sonicgt
Those are the guy's that go from minivan to mustang!
Hey, I resemble that comment!!! 'Cause I have a mini-van and a Hyundai(my cheap daily driver) . And your right, they are not that loud. I can only imagine what some of you guys cars are sounding like. When you replace more than just a set of mufflers
Old 9/7/06, 10:05 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Old 9/7/06, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by neil07gt
Day 1 of FRPP/Borla stingers...I'm not gonna lie or sugar-coat it. They are *LOUD* as hell. Lots of drone from 1600-2000 rpm. It's hard to avoid that range in stop and go traffic, or when driving through residential areas. The only time it doesn't seem so loud is when i'm on the highway cruising at highway speed.
COOL! I -want- loud I'm sick and tired of the wimpy exhaust note on my 07. The only time it sounds good is when I start it up first thing in the morning, it has a nice, throaty sound. When it warms up and the idle drops, it doesn't sound any different than my 05 V6 did. Even when getting on it it's too quiet. Bring on the "loud"!
Old 9/7/06, 01:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
COOL! I -want- loud I'm sick and tired of the wimpy exhaust note on my 07. The only time it sounds good is when I start it up first thing in the morning, it has a nice, throaty sound. When it warms up and the idle drops, it doesn't sound any different than my 05 V6 did. Even when getting on it it's too quiet. Bring on the "loud"!
..."getting on it" is where the frpp/borla really shines. JMO, but nothing yet sounds better.
Old 9/7/06, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's such a sweet sound......I even find my self driving slower to hear the sounds.....who needs speed when you got "notes"
Old 9/7/06, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just didn't like the sound of the Corsas compared to the stingers. I would really recommend finding someone in your area and listening to both in person.

I haven't turned on the radio since installing the stingers. There is drone at 1,800-2,000rpms, but nothing unbearable. I always tend to keep my rpms at 2,500 or up anyway, so it's a non-issue for me and my driving style.

If you do a lot of highway commuting and cruise in the drone range, you could always put a set of resonators in.
Old 9/25/06, 05:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

It's kinda funny that I started this thread and ended up getting Flowmasters. Perfect combination of the two IMO. Minimal to zero drone with a deep aggressive sound.
Old 9/28/06, 03:42 PM
Cobra Member

My FRPP/ Stingers are FINALLY here. Gee, that only took a month! Those babies are going on this evening
Old 9/28/06, 08:50 PM
Cobra Member

OK, they are on. They didn't center up in the openings to my satisfaction, so I'm going to have to jack it up and loosen the H-pipe connections and try to adjust it. I took it out for a shakedown ride and was very surprised at how quiet they are. Idle and cruise is about the same as stock. There is some serious drone in the 1600-1800 range, but at least on my car with the 3.55's it doesn't affect it at highway speeds. I imagine it might be a problem with the 3.31 gears though. So far I'm not impressed, but I've only driven it on that quick shakedown so I'll withhold final judgement until I've driven it a while.
Old 9/29/06, 10:26 AM
Cobra Member

Drove to work with the top down this morning. It's definitely a bit louder than stock and has a nice mellow tone at low RPMs. I can see how people would get very tired of the drone though. I don't mind it right now, but time will tell if it gets on my nerves. Unfortunately the drone has a tendency to block out the exhaust sound, so in those RPM ranges (from about 1500 to 2000, worst around 1800) you don't hear a nice burbling exhaust, you just hear the drone.
Old 9/29/06, 11:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
Drove to work with the top down this morning. It's definitely a bit louder than stock and has a nice mellow tone at low RPMs. I can see how people would get very tired of the drone though. I don't mind it right now, but time will tell if it gets on my nerves. Unfortunately the drone has a tendency to block out the exhaust sound, so in those RPM ranges (from about 1500 to 2000, worst around 1800) you don't hear a nice burbling exhaust, you just hear the drone.
Sorry to hear this as I really thought that I would like them as well... but the drone spooked me, hence, my decision to go-Flow...
Old 10/1/06, 11:19 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah, you did the right thing. I don't see keeping these mufflers for much longer. After a few more days of driving, the drone is just obnoxious. I'm really surprised that this has not been commented on much, I only recall one person complaining about the drone. My 12 year old daughter was really complaining about it when she rode with me yesterday. I find myself trying to shift at points that minimize the drone which is ridiculous. Oh well, live and learn!
Old 10/1/06, 04:31 PM
V6 Member

I can't remember if I posted here or on anther forum. I too had the FRPP which I loved at Idle, around town and at WOT. But the drone was also a bit much for me. Not the worst I've heard, but certainly moderate and seemed to peak at about 1800 RPMs. I don't want to turn anyone off on them as some people really like the drone and they were really cool mufflers with a very aggressive sound. However, I am looking for something slightly louder than stock but with a little deeper mellower tone, good mellow pulse around town (with less drone), but that will wake up when you step on it.

Right now I'm trying to decide between the American Thunders or perhaps the FRPP GTA mufflers (Shelby mufflers). I'd consider Corsa's, but I think they are quieter than stock unless you step on it - not ot mention the price.

Richard
Old 10/1/06, 04:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by rnail
I can't remember if I posted here or on anther forum. I too had the FRPP which I loved at Idle, around town and at WOT. But the drone was also a bit much for me. Not the worst I've heard, but certainly moderate and seemed to peak at about 1800 RPMs. I don't want to turn anyone off on them as some people really like the drone and they were really cool mufflers with a very aggressive sound. However, I am looking for something slightly louder than stock but with a little deeper mellower tone, good mellow pulse around town (with less drone), but that will wake up when you step on it.

Right now I'm trying to decide between the American Thunders or perhaps the FRPP GTA mufflers (Shelby mufflers). I'd consider Corsa's, but I think they are quieter than stock unless you step on it - not ot mention the price.

Richard
F L O W M A S T E R S- You will not be disappointed.
Old 10/1/06, 09:20 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
... are there that many people who shift at 2000 and drive around town in 5th? that would be the only way drone would kill me.

honestly... I can see the drone bugging people... but its VERY easy to drive around it. I wouldn't change them for anything. And I hate drone...

Quick Reply: Borla or Corsa?