GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Auto vs Stick, which one is stronger

Search this Thread

Old 10/31/06, 05:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto on bracket are cool. But there is one problem. The heat.

this year i won 2 second place and 2 third place. (yeah i know i need to get one time the first). And during the competition as their is less and less car, the run are faster, and my time are higher.

Last year, at my first drag run i was like a kid in a roller coaster going back in the line to do it again, at my third run the auto miss 2 time a gear, yeah miss. hesitation, going back to the previous and finaly go to the correct one. Tried again , and again it miss the gear. Let the car for 1 hour, then tried again, everything was fine.

I like my auto, i'm doing 99% of town, going from one crossroad to the another. On drag i like it when i saw the face of the guy when they see i'm auto and how fast i am. I wish i get a manual for the start. Slow start at drag racing is a pain to get a better time. Even if i'm happy with my 1.90 60" and my 12.908 on street tire. I can't say if drag tire will help me as the auto start so slowly. Other than that, i will say auto all the way. So much silence in the car in comparaison with the manual, not the same car. Very cool for long trip on the highway with the music, like a mercedes. Manual are so noisy all the time.
Old 10/31/06, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the props guys. It just depends on what you want to do with your car and your personal goals. I have yet to see or come up against an 05+ manual Stang with similar mods that can post a faster timeslip than mine. Mike M is a little faster on the spray but I'd race him right now if he weren't so far away and he'd best not be sleeping at the tree! LOL. This is not an AOD or 4R70W tranny. It's slick as a whistle and has gear on top of gear and short of Justin Burcham there aren't many folks out ther that can jam gears faster than this tranny shifts. It is what it is. The best and most tuneable auto Ford has ever built. So far I've seen maybe one that has failed and numerous posts by guys having clutch problems and shifter woes at high HP with the manual.
Old 10/31/06, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex
the 5R55 would have to do a 3-4 shift right before the line, which can slow down the car just a tad.
Not sure about your info. Mine shifts to 4th just before the 1/8th mile and traps at 6000 rpm with 3.73 gears.
Old 10/31/06, 06:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Slofoot
Not sure about your info. Mine shifts to 4th just before the 1/8th mile and traps at 6000 rpm with 3.73 gears.
My data was based on the standard 5R55S ratios, the stock 3.31:1 RAR, and a bone stock 05-up GT. When you slap on a blower and 3.73s, it'll obviously change things as your trap speed will be much much higher and your vehicle speeds/RPMs will be different due to the 3.73s
Old 10/31/06, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex
My data was based on the standard 5R55S ratios, the stock 3.31:1 RAR, and a bone stock 05-up GT. When you slap on a blower and 3.73s, it'll obviously change things as your trap speed will be much much higher.
You are right! My stock gears were in the car for a whole 3 days! LOL
Old 10/31/06, 06:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for all the info guys. Based on what I've read in this post, it's going to come down to price for me.
Old 11/1/06, 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StangFreak
Thanks for all the info guys. Based on what I've read in this post, it's going to come down to price for me.

Either way, you'll have a blast!!!!
Old 11/1/06, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bennyandthejets
Historically, auto transmissions have been relatively bulletproof. Of course there are exceptions, however running that amount of power through the auto should not be a problem. I would go for it. I'm a stick guy all the way, however for traffic concerns in houston I bought an auto, and with dougs tune, it was deffinately the right decision for me. Good luck.
With these cars, for the most part in a streetable kind of HP, either tranny is good. Last i hear, a blown GT with aftermarket stall, the 5R55S went to almost 460 at the wheels.

I too, live in Houston, and i like my Manual with Roush Racing Shifter. She's my DD and my real hot rod is a 6-Sp T6060. It comes down to what One likes in a driving style. My first S197 was Auto and personally, do not regret going to the Manual Roush.

I have driven several Auto cars with Doug's Tune and they run just the same with the manual. Great setup indeed.
Old 11/1/06, 07:41 PM
Cobra Member

As far as regretting settling, I haven't. I really have fallen in love with the auto. I wouldn't be regretting the stick had I been able to get the car I wanted with a stick rather than auto but I do not for a second regret having the auto. It takes so much stress out of driving here in southern California.

I would definately be regretting settling for a color I didn't like or not getting the IUP though.

On a side note, someone mentioned auto cross or road racing with a manual is better. At the last several auto-X events my buddy has taken his Vette to, the winners have all been driving auto's. He said it's just very difficult to always grab the right gear and having both hands on the wheel would be an advantage for him, his car is a 6 speed manual. I've never raced mine, drag or otherwise so I cannot confirm what he says but it definately makes sense to me.