GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Anyone like aluminum driveshafts?

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/07, 11:00 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These guys have tested them for over a year at Coast Driveline. According to them, this will bolt on and have no issues. The only car they had issues on was a car tested at a road track with a coil-over suspesion that dropped the car significantly, as mentioned above. They had to massage the drive shaft tunnel by where the rear loop would bolt up, as well as up towards the shifter (not massaging for shifter clearance itself). They said it was a 5 minute fix, and this was the car tested to 128+mph with no vibration.

Yes you will have to adjust the pinion angle.

The only car that this is going to be "iffy" with is one equipped with a Saleen adaptor. Every other car will have NO ISSUES bolting them in and going.

Now if they're claiming 15hp, so be it. You have to remember that you will see different gains on each car. Maybe that was tested on a FI car spinning at 5000rpm during the powerband where the driveshaft really is put to work? I'm not saying they'll actually see 15RWHP, but they will:

Get up to RPMs quicker
Produce noticable gains
Reduce Vehicle weight
Look Sexy
Handle an extreme amount of horsepower

So with that being said, any car WITHOUT a saleen adaptor, this is the driveshaft to get. I'd rather not sell it to anyone with a saleen adaptor at this point, just in case there is issues, to cover myself.

Thanks for all the replies, and anyone without Saleen adaptor, you will love this assembly. I will pull actual dyno numbers for it in a few weeks when I get the chance. Anyone who ordered one in the mean time who wants to review it, please do!!!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/4/07, 11:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
These guys have tested them for over a year at Coast Driveline. According to them, this will bolt on and have no issues. The only car they had issues on was a car tested at a road track with a coil-over suspesion that dropped the car significantly, as mentioned above. They had to massage the drive shaft tunnel by where the rear loop would bolt up, as well as up towards the shifter (not massaging for shifter clearance itself). They said it was a 5 minute fix, and this was the car tested to 128+mph with no vibration.

Yes you will have to adjust the pinion angle.

The only car that this is going to be "iffy" with is one equipped with a Saleen adaptor. Every other car will have NO ISSUES bolting them in and going.

Now if they're claiming 15hp, so be it. You have to remember that you will see different gains on each car. Maybe that was tested on a FI car spinning at 5000rpm during the powerband where the driveshaft really is put to work? I'm not saying they'll actually see 15RWHP, but they will:

Get up to RPMs quicker
Reduce Vehicle weight
Look Sexy
Handle an extreme amount of horsepower

So with that being said, any car WITHOUT a saleen adaptor, this is the driveshaft to get. I'd rather not sell it to anyone with a saleen adaptor at this point, just in case there is issues, to cover myself.

Thanks for all the replies, and anyone without Saleen adaptor, you will love this assembly. I will pull actual dyno numbers for it in a few weeks when I get the chance. Anyone who ordered one in the mean time who wants to review it, please do!!!

CR
Tillman Speed
The dyno tests were only a 2-4hp gain on forced induction cars. There is no doubt the car will spin up quicker and get through the RPM range quicker. There is no doubt that they reduce the weight of the vehicle. anything will over the stock disaster. There is no doubt they look good or can handle a ton of HP (around 600rwhp or so safely)

Just dont expect to gain 15HP. your not actually gaining anything, even the 2-4hp seen on a dyno. your just freeing it up. it was always there, just lost in the drivetrain. this is a great deal for the price. if i didnt already go through the adjsutments i had to make with the powerhouse and then finally get a currie 9" rear and new shortened driveshaft, i would be all over this same as anyone should. jsut dont expect to see 15hp. its unrealistic and impossible. its the same deal as mezire saying a 10rwhp gain with the eh20 pump. dynoed msot peopel see 1-3 at like 6000rpms

also it is not a 5 minute fix. adjsuting the pinion angle takes time and im not comfortable taking a hammer to the car to make something work. adjsuting the pinion angle takes care of the clearance issues. any aftermarket shifter will work with a 4" shaft except the saleen adapter as it hangs much lower than any other shifter. it hits the driveshaft. if your adamate about using the saleen adapter go with the DSS 3.5" shaft
Old 2/4/07, 11:30 AM
Former Vendor

Couldn't have said that any better myself. As far as the pinion angle, just about EVERY lifted truck website in America has a great write-up with colored pictures on how to do this.

As far as the horsepower goes, this may very well be true. Overshooting HP is what every company does from Superchargers to CAI's to Driveshafts

And exactly as you said, it will fit with any other shifter other than the Saleen. Thanks for the help with clearing up these issues!

Old 2/4/07, 12:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

no problemn. im not trying to draw anyone away form your group buy. the price is amazing and anyone would be crazy to not jump on this. it is a great bolt up mod and you can feel a SOTP increase in power because the car does spin up quicker.

Just be sure if you are lowered, and even if your not, to get a supporting mod of a adjustable UCA in there as well. it really makes things much much smoother.
Old 2/4/07, 01:30 PM
Former Vendor

Agreed, thanks for the comments! You're absolutely correct!

For the price of these things, as long as you dont have a Saleen shifter adaptor, they're AWESOME!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/4/07, 02:00 PM
3rd Times A Charm

I guess I'll have to be the person to say something...

It looks like Tillman is putting this out without doing all of the research. Look at his original post. Specifically about slight modifications ONLY if you were lowered more than 3".

This is why I made this post...

Originally Posted by S197 GT
A lightweight Aluminum Driveshaft is a great mod to get! It lowers your rotational weight, therefor freeing up some HP lost in the stock driveline.

The modifications that would be needed is an adjustment in the pinion angle to avoid making contact with the tunnel. You should set your angle to -3*. This can be done with an Adjustable UCA or Adjustable LCA's.

I think that's a great looking shaft, and a really good price.

Is this a 4" shaft? Have you verified that the same shaft will work on both an auto and a manual? Have you confirmed that this shaft will also work with all shifters?

You may want to check on these known issues with other shafts to get your customers exactly what they are looking for...the first time.

Good luck, and again, great product and a great price!
As you can see, I pointed out that there have been issues with shafts with certain shifters and autos. Here was his response...

Yes this is a full 4" shaft all the way through. This has been tested on a manual car, and will be confirmed on the Automatics as well as on GT500's this upcoming week!!! This will work with all shifters, because it accepts the stock flange up front. There is no modifying anything, it's a direct bolt in right where the factory one bolted up!!

CR
Tillman Speed
Notice how he said "There is no modifying anything".

Originally Posted by max2000jp
The Saleen Short throw is a block that attaches to the the OEM shifter. You have less than 1/4" clearance from the bottom of the Saleen "block" to the OEM driveshaft. The shaft you are selling is a 1/2" larger than the OEM one. It won't work.
Exactly...

Yes, there was a guy selling the 3.5" somewhere. I think they were up around $695 on the message boards.

I'm just going off of what Coast said about the shifter. If they didn't test it, that's their issue...

This is a direct replacement setup so I imagine that most shifters that are engineered to be within reasonable distance of stock replacement dimensions will be compatible the new driveshaft.

CR
Tillman Speed
Wrong...You can't just go off of what the manufacture told you. You are the one that is making the claims at this point. I mentioned the above known issues to possibly save you some grief from dissatisfied customers. You are going to sell these without really doing your research, and are flat out saying "That's their issue". This is not a good form of customer service.

If I asked you if the product would work for my application, and you told me that it would...You would be responsible for any issues that came up, not the person who you got your info from.

In a MANUAL car, the driveshaft was tested on a road course at 128+mph and the shifter was "smooth as glass" according to Coast Driveline. So any Automatic vibrations shouldn't be any worse than factory.

CR
Tillman Speed
Just because the manual worked fine without vibrations, does not mean that the Auto would be the same. This has been a known issue for quite a while.

Originally Posted by scramblr
Just read through all four pages no one has mentioned possible issues with lowered cars. It's been reported that some, not all, lowered cars with an aftermarket 4" driveshaft have had rubbing problems. Some have solved it by massaging the underside tunnel with a hammer. :-) Just seems this could be an issue not discussed yet. I'm looking at at 3" steel driveshaft to avoid this issue. But still undecided.
I did. This is why I said that you would have to change the pinion angle.

Tillman, I hope you know that I am in no way trying to direct business away from you. It just seemed like you didn't have all the facts, which is why I pointed out the known issues in my first post. You then reassured everyone that this shaft would not have any of those issues.

Now, for some reason, someone else mentioned the same issues, and you are taking them seriously...

Now you won't sell it to someone with a Saleen adapter, and you are checking with them about the Auto vibrations.

I just don't like when someone sells a product and gives people misiformation. Especially since most people will take a Vendor's word as the gospel.

Again, I wish you nothing but the best on this sale. It's a great looking drive shaft, and I'm sure it will perform just as well as the Powerhouse and/or any 4" shaft of the same caliber. Great price as well.

Next time, do a little more research on a product you sell before denying someone's claims of known issues. Like I said, this will help you in the long run, and it will keep from having upset customers.

Please don't take offense to my posts...There are just too many vendors out there making false promises, that are giving people false hope abou their products.

And please don't ever say that it will be the manufacturers problem if their claims do not hold true. You are selling the product, so you need to be able to stand by your claims...Whether your reiterating someone else's or they are your own. I would hope that you would take care of your customers if an issue came up, as opposed to turning them over to the manufacture. Especially if someone, like myself, publically posted about these known issues, only to be reassured that none of these issues hold true to the product in question.
Old 2/4/07, 02:10 PM
Former Vendor

Woah woah woah, I never said if there was an issue than talk to vendor. I still honor the customer service end. I'm saying if they're claiming 15rwhp, than that's their claim. I'm passing it along. Go on any online store you want and pick a product that has a gain that was claimed from the manufacturer. That's the same thing I did, just pass along information.

I would never pass along someone with an issue right to the manufacturer. That's what we pride ourselves on, customer service. We haven't been in business since 1979 because of false claims and smoke screens. The manufacturer is the LAST RESORT if the issue cant be worked out between the vendor and the consumer.

Now this whole time I have been saying that I need to confirm with the company on the vibration issues and fitment issues WITH ONE SHIFTER. That means that I didn't do my homework?

KEEP IN MIND THIS HAPPENED IN 24-48 HOURS WHEN COAST DRIVELINE WAS CLOSED AND I COULDN'T OFFICIALLY CONFIRM INFORMATION.

I'm offering a product based on it's new release. You want me to install this on 12 different cars with 12 different shifters before I offer it to the public? That's not my job that's Coast Driveline's.

I offered a product, the issue came up about a certain shifter. In the opinion of the consensus, it will not work. So I said I'd feel more comfortable not selling to people with that modification. Other than that... I haven't said anything false.

All other shifters will work. The minor modifying was true for EXTREMELY lowered vehicles. Massaging of the driveshaft channel... in two spots one in the rear and one in the back which I planned on taking pictures of next week.

If you don't want one, no problem. I'm not selling a scam here. This is a great product, if you dont happen to have ONE SPECIFIC SHIFTER.

Thanks for your concern though.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/4/07, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been keeping up with this thread since it started because I have a 4" aluminum driveshaft on order. Remember-- this thread started less than 48 hrs. ago. IMO, Tillman has done a great job addressing everyone's concerns over compatability. Keep up the great work!
Old 2/4/07, 02:42 PM
Former Vendor

Thank you! The reality is that these driveshafts are going to ship tomorrow and you're going to have installation and test reviews shortly from real people. Not from me, not from coast, from actual Mustang enthusiasts.

So anyone with any doubt on the product will get to hear first hand in the matter of days. And on Monday I'm going to be still following up on my promise of addressing these concerns to Coast Driveline. Thank everyone for their comments and I'm glad that it appears they're going to be a hot item if I stock more of them.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/4/07, 02:45 PM
GT Member

I'm starting to get confused reading all the different post what this driveshaft fits without a problem and what it don't.. I have a 05 GT with a/t, its not lowered, no saleen shifter ect. Will this drivshaft bolt right up without any modifications ? If not what has to be done ?
Old 2/4/07, 02:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cfr865
I'm starting to get confused reading all the different post what this driveshaft fits without a problem and what it don't.. I have a 05 GT with a/t, its not lowered, no saleen shifter ect. Will this drivshaft bolt right up without any modifications ? If not what has to be done ?
YES it will. if you do experience rubbing from it all you would need is a UCA, however since your not lowered, the chances of it rubbing are slim
Old 2/4/07, 02:52 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Correct, you never said that you would direct someone to the manufacture. What you did say was that it would work on ALL shifters, and that slight modifications would be needed ONLY for extremely lowered cars 3+".

You also said that you got these facts from the manufacture and if they were wrong, that was their issue.

I could care less about the HP claims, the part that worries me is that you said it would work with ALL shifters and it only needs a slight modification for 3+" lowered cars. This is not true.

I mentioned which modifications would be needed (Adj UCA to adjust the pinon angle), only to have you respond saying that no modifications were needed.

You also said that the Auto wouldn't have any more vibrations than it does with the stock tranny. Since the tests on an Auto haven't been confirmed, the claims of no vibration issues are not fact based.

I didn't say you didn't do your homework because it won't work with ONE shifter. I'm saying you didn't do your homework because I asked you if it would work with ALL shifters and you said it would. I also asked if there were any issues with an Auto, and you said there are no issues and that it's a direct bolt on replacement with no modifications needed unless you are extremely lowered. Again, another false claim. Hense the lack of homework statement.

You have not being saying that you need to confirm this with the supplier the whole time. If that was the case, you would have mentioned to me in your response to my original post. Instead you just said that the issues I mentioned were not the case with this shaft. You only started to say that you need to check with the manufacture once other people made clear of the same issues that I mentioned from the beginning.

Anything that you post is considered "Official" unless you state otherwise.

I don't think you need to have this installed on 12 cars before selling it. Not at all, but you may consider installing them on 1 or 2 local guys first before making the sale public. Note that I said consider.

Please, please, please understand that I'm not trying to bash you or the product you are selling. I made it very clear that this is an unbelievable price and that I wished you the best of luck with this sale. I know it would work on my car and if I didn't have my Powerhouse already, I would have bought this in a heart beat. It's just that I don't want to see any of my fellow enthusiasts buy this shaft to have to turn around and buy an UCA unexpectedly, get an unwanted vibration from their Auto, or have to buy a different shifter because their Saleen Adapter wouldn't work with it. I've seen this happen way too many times, which is why in my original post I said that you may want to consider these known issues to insure that your customers get exactly what they want...the first time.

I also never thought you were trying to scam anyone. I just thought that you disregarded my questions about the known issues with these shafts, and that you should have took them into consideration instead of saying that they did not hold true for this shaft. You have since took the same concerns into consideration based on other people mentioning them, and you have taken the proper steps to find out "Officially".

I hope you understand where I'm coming from and the intentions of my posts.

Again, I wish you the best on this sale. It's great price, and I think you'll do well!
Old 2/4/07, 03:00 PM
Former Vendor

Its no problem. I think there was a misunderstanding somewhere along the line between 3-4 people all replying back and forth about the issues.

In any event, they're pretty much all figured out now, we're just waiting for the official word from Coast Driveline, which will be available tomorrow.

I don't take your post as a bash in anyway. I take it as a misunderstanding between the volume of questions being asked and answered back and forth.

Like I said, thank you for your concern. We'll have real reviews on the product very soon here. This is a great product, and there's no reason why I wouldn't buy it for a personal car of my own. I'm confident about it.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/4/07, 03:05 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Sweet! I'm glad you understand that I have no ill will towards your company or your produts.

You are a new vendor here, and I'm very impressed with what you have brought to the table from the get go!

Again, I would be all over this deal too, and I would suggest everyone else to do the same if they are running the stock shaft.

Good luck with the sale and best wishes for your future endeavors.
Old 2/4/07, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

what does this mean? a bunny with a pancake on it's head?

anyway i have to say there is no way for a vendor to know every possible combination of parts and what fits with what. my family has been in the performance industry as a retailer/installer/and WD for as long as i can remember. i worked the counter at my dads speed shop for years selling what i though was everycombo of parts imaginable for a freakin camaro/novas and for 5.0's but always would run into something that wasn't compatable with something else. the same is true with our new mustangs. there are so many variations of the same parts and everybody has a different vision for their personal car thats it totally impossible for someone to know all the answers.
right now it seems there really are three issues with the 4" driveshafts:
1) lowering.
i have tested this myself with stock and aftermarket suspension components. if you are stock it's fine. if you are lowered more than 1.5" you need have some adjustable control arms to reset the pinion angle. if you want to lower more than that... well, you are on your own for just about everything cause some body kits may not work and some 20" bling rims may rub and so on....
2) autos.
out of respect to Tillman if you need more info about getting one to work in an auto Pm me. i can tell you what i know works and what doesn't.
3) shifters in manual trans cars.
from what i have learned and seen from my installs, if you want to use an aluminum driveshaft from anybody just stay away from the saleen shifter. every other shifter seems to work fine with all the makes of driveshafts. if it rubs on a 4" diameter shaft then wouldn't you want a little more than the extra .25" clearance a 3.5" shaft would give you. no matter which one you go with they are all bigger than stock( 2.78") so clearance is decreased. if you must keep your saleen short-throw shifter block thingy then just go to ford and buy a new V6 shaft,companion flange and bolts. it's a one piece steel shaft thats about 19-20lbs. lighter than stock and the same diameter as the GT shaft. the hp rating on these are unknown but i have seen some 12 sec s/c'd V6 cars so they must hold up okay to a point.
hope this helps a little.
FYI: i have done same day track tests on my car (sept. 05) with and without the aluminum driveshaft. result was a solid .21 second drop in e.t with no measurable change in mph. the car was an otherwise stock GT auto with exception to an xcal2 tuned by lidio.
tillman i like your thinking. PM me if you want to work together on the driveshaft thing. i think i can help you.
Old 2/4/07, 03:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have an automatic.

If I buy this driveshaft and I get vibratioon, can I return it for a full refund?
Old 2/4/07, 03:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
S197GT, I guess what we're used to around here are vendors that actually have the parts instock and have actually installed the parts and know more than just the advertised specifications and the price, before they start advertising them for sale.

Remember how Brenspeed and Bamachips used to not come on the forums with the biggest and best deal on something until they had installed, tuned, and in many cases had actual performance data from either a dyno, a track, or both? That may be a good example for newer vendors to follow.
Old 2/4/07, 04:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's a deal for someone.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=60108
Old 2/4/07, 07:37 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tom281
S197GT, I guess what we're used to around here are vendors that actually have the parts instock and have actually installed the parts and know more than just the advertised specifications and the price, before they start advertising them for sale.

Remember how Brenspeed and Bamachips used to not come on the forums with the biggest and best deal on something until they had installed, tuned, and in many cases had actual performance data from either a dyno, a track, or both? That may be a good example for newer vendors to follow.
Who's saying that we haven't tested aluminum driveshafts on S197's before? Have we run into one with a saleen shifter? No. Is that why I wasn't sure and wanted to confirm with Coast Driveline? Yes.

We've sold 100's of aluminum driveshafts over the years. We're not a new vendor. Maybe to TMS... Not every single new product has to go on a shop car. There are certain products we do, and certain ones we dont.

I'm not saying I got the "biggest and best deal" on this part. I'm saying here's the part if you're interested in purchasing it.

Come down to the shop, WE DO HAVE THEM IN STOCK. Along with JLT intakes, XCal2's, C&L's, a few BMR suspension items, 3.73;s, 4.10's, autometer gauges, etc etc. Check our website out and go to about us, theres a few pictures of the shop. Not enough to get and idea of what we have.

Also, it's not prime weather in Philadelphia to have track data available a mere 48 hours after the part gets to our shop.

I think this one has gone a little too far? Why blast the vendor for lack of information from the manufacturer?

This is ONE FITMENT ISSUE WITH ONE PARTICULAR SHIFTER. Along with a POSSIBLE issue with vibration and 2 different people posted ways that the POSSIBLE issue is solved.

I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding where it seems like I'm giving information that doesn't exist. All I'm saying is here's the part, the questions about it that I know I'll answer, and anything I'm not 100% about (all along) I've said I'll contact Coast on Monday.

Thanks
CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/4/07, 07:41 PM
Former Vendor

Yes, this will bolt right up without the Saleen shifter. If you read above there is some concern that the driveshaft MAY vibrate. If you read a few of the posts on this page it mentions that you can get control arms and adjust the pinion angle. That, combined with them being balanced to within 1/8 of a gram should cure the problem. I am confirming with Coast on Monday their tests on an Automatic and what they've found. Sorry for the confusion.

CR
Tillman Speed

Quick Reply: Anyone like aluminum driveshafts?