GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Anyone like aluminum driveshafts?

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/07, 02:53 PM
JLH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, It's a done deal, this will give me something to do in our wonderful winter weather alone with installing my camshafts.

JLH
Old 2/3/07, 02:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Regarding Auto Transmissions

Regarding the AUTO TRANS applications: It's a crapshoot regarding vibrations. Ford has 2 part numbers for our driveshafts. They are identical in all ways except 1. The Auto trans driveshaft has built in dampening material to prevent the vibrations. There are a couple of companies looking into this, but who knows when it will be released. The problem is the pinion angle and the output shaft. The vibration is more prominent on cars that are lowered because it changes the pinion angle.

This driveshaft may work on the autos but the pinion angle will most likely have to be adjusted. The range could be anywhere from -1 to -4 degrees. I believe -3 is the optimal for the stock driveshaft configuration, but each car may be different. Ford used the dampening material for the autos because the vibration actually comes from the output shaft of the tranny. The reason the pinion angle may have to be adjusted is due to the fact that the 2 piece driveshaft compensated for it.

I know a few people who have stock suspension that used the PH aluminum driveshafts with no issues, so these may work..... you just cant bet on it.

CR: I'm not trying to hurt potential sales. I'm trying to save you from a big headache if there are issues with the vibrations.
Old 2/3/07, 03:02 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact info for Coast Driveline?

(again very interested but want to avoid having to return something after ordering....)
Old 2/3/07, 03:10 PM
Former Vendor

Oh no, HiRoller, absolutely no problem. That was a great write up, I appreciate the legwork. So basically, with the right installation (adjustment) and some sort of dampening to the tranny output, and it will eliminate the vibration.

Thats good to know!

Thanks for the orders thus far, and we've gotten 2 paid for. Let's try and get three more for that discounted price. These can ship Monday morning.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/3/07, 03:12 PM
Former Vendor

I am going to contact them Monday morning and post the questions about:

Vibration (trans output shaft dampening)
Steeda Shifter
GT500 fitment

I will post back Just to ease the job for you guys!
Old 2/3/07, 03:19 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed

Steeda Shifter
GT500 fitment

AWESOME you guys rock - thanks!!!

(and remember its Saleen short shifter kit)
Old 2/3/07, 04:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
I believe you're correct on this one....... isn't there a 3.5" shaft out now somewhere too?
I haven't installed my 4" Aluminum driveshaft yet because it isn't compatible with the Saleen Shifter. I am thinking about thrown the driveshaft up on Ebay.
Old 2/3/07, 04:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by max2000jp
I haven't installed my 4" Aluminum driveshaft yet because it isn't compatible with the Saleen Shifter. I am thinking about thrown the driveshaft up on Ebay.
Just slap in a Pro5.0 shifter and keep your driveshaft.

Or, keep your Saleen adaptor and sell my your driveshaft dirt cheap!
Old 2/3/07, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed

Steeda Shifter
GT500 fitment

Thanks, my order will be dependent upon the Saleen short throw adaptor issue. I have the adaptor so if it don't fit, sorry.
Old 2/3/07, 06:51 PM
GT Member

Am I missing something here? I think you can have a custom aluminum shaft built for $100 less than this shaft.
Old 2/3/07, 07:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
jason,
i'm just wondering if anybody has even tried the 4" shafts with a saleen shifter yet. so far alot of people are saying it doesn't fit but i don't know of anyone specific person thats tried. somebody that has tried please chime in so we can know what and where the clearance issue really is. a 3.5" driveshaft will only gain 1/4" of clearance so i can't imagine those working either if it's that close.

i just measured my old stock shaft and it's 2.78" diameter. which will give about 5/8" clearance over a 4" shaft.
Old 2/3/07, 09:54 PM
GT Member

Do you have me down for one, I will send you the money Tuesday 2/6.
Old 2/3/07, 11:00 PM
Former Vendor

I am calling Monday confirming the shifter adaptor issue and clearance. I'm not positive that it will have issues. Sure it will be very close.

CFR865 you're all set!

Thanks everyone, I'll get all of these issues smoothed out Monday!!!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/3/07, 11:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by spyder7724
jason,
i'm just wondering if anybody has even tried the 4" shafts with a saleen shifter yet. so far alot of people are saying it doesn't fit but i don't know of anyone specific person thats tried. somebody that has tried please chime in so we can know what and where the clearance issue really is. a 3.5" driveshaft will only gain 1/4" of clearance so i can't imagine those working either if it's that close.

i just measured my old stock shaft and it's 2.78" diameter. which will give about 5/8" clearance over a 4" shaft.
I'll jack the car up tomorrow and look. I remember some guys on ModularFords saying they tried and it doesn't fit.
Old 2/4/07, 04:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Just read through all four pages no one has mentioned possible issues with lowered cars. It's been reported that some, not all, lowered cars with an aftermarket 4" driveshaft have had rubbing problems. Some have solved it by massaging the underside tunnel with a hammer. :-) Just seems this could be an issue not discussed yet. I'm looking at at 3" steel driveshaft to avoid this issue. But still undecided.
Old 2/4/07, 05:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm still waiting to see any truly measured performance gains..... Hey Tillman once you get some of these, since they're so easy to change do a before and after dyno comparison please. Or if anyone has track times before/after that's fine too.
Old 2/4/07, 08:53 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by scramblr
Just read through all four pages no one has mentioned possible issues with lowered cars. It's been reported that some, not all, lowered cars with an aftermarket 4" driveshaft have had rubbing problems. Some have solved it by massaging the underside tunnel with a hammer. :-) Just seems this could be an issue not discussed yet. I'm looking at at 3" steel driveshaft to avoid this issue. But still undecided.
This was in the first paragraph:

"It works with all mustangs and is a DIRECT bolt-on for those with stock vehicles or standard suspension mods, and VERY little modification (about 5 minutes worth of work) is neccessary on EXTREMELY lowered 3+ inches applications."

Old 2/4/07, 10:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

guys,

a 4" 1 piece driveshaft will NOT work with the saleen adapter. yes it accepts a stock flange but the flange part is in front of the saleen adapter. the adapter actually hits the driveshaft. the only driveshaft that works with the saleen adapter is the DSS one which i beleive is a 3.5" shaft

Also you will not see a 15hp increase with any driveshaft. some people have dynoed before and after on the driveshaft install. most have seen 2-4hp. its not adding any HP its just freeing it up in rotational mass weight loss.

Another noteable point is if you are lowered you HAVE to adjust your pinion angle. you can do this with an adjustable UCA like the CHE or BMR piece. Non lowered cars can usually get away without adjusting your pinion angle but it will still be off from the correct angle which has been said to be -3 degrees. -3 degrees worked perfectly for me. some have had to goto -2 or -4 degrees. The reason you have to adjust the angle is that the driveshaft will hit the body right before the gas tank and rub against the tunnel on semi hard acceleratinos and launches. also if you have a few heavy people in the car, it will make the driveshaft hit the tunnel on mild acceleration.

and the paragraph about 3+inhes for lowered vehicles is wrong. im only 1.5" lowered and my driveshaft hit the first test drive. the UCA went in 2 days later to correct the problem
Old 2/4/07, 10:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
This was in the first paragraph:

"It works with all mustangs and is a DIRECT bolt-on for those with stock vehicles or standard suspension mods, and VERY little modification (about 5 minutes worth of work) is neccessary on EXTREMELY lowered 3+ inches applications."

That's what I get for reading back to front.

Originally Posted by 94tbird
guys,

a 4" 1 piece driveshaft will NOT work with the saleen adapter. yes it accepts a stock flange but the flange part is in front of the saleen adapter. the adapter actually hits the driveshaft. the only driveshaft that works with the saleen adapter is the DSS one which i beleive is a 3.5" shaft

Also you will not see a 15hp increase with any driveshaft. some people have dynoed before and after on the driveshaft install. most have seen 2-4hp. its not adding any HP its just freeing it up in rotational mass weight loss.

Another noteable point is if you are lowered you HAVE to adjust your pinion angle. you can do this with an adjustable UCA like the CHE or BMR piece. Non lowered cars can usually get away without adjusting your pinion angle but it will still be off from the correct angle which has been said to be -3 degrees. -3 degrees worked perfectly for me. some have had to goto -2 or -4 degrees. The reason you have to adjust the angle is that the driveshaft will hit the body right before the gas tank and rub against the tunnel on semi hard acceleratinos and launches. also if you have a few heavy people in the car, it will make the driveshaft hit the tunnel on mild acceleration.

and the paragraph about 3+inhes for lowered vehicles is wrong. im only 1.5" lowered and my driveshaft hit the first test drive. the UCA went in 2 days later to correct the problem

So 3" drive shaft is looking pretty good about now.
Old 2/4/07, 10:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

well the DSS is 3.5". i beleive lethalperformance sells them. But they are more than this deal that is being offered.

Quick Reply: Anyone like aluminum driveshafts?