GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Anybody dyno a Airaid CAI yet?

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/06, 07:04 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder how much of your 13 hp gain was due to the Airaid and how much was due to the Bassani X-pipe.
Old 1/11/06, 09:05 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by AFBLUE@January 11, 2006, 8:07 PM
I wonder how much of your 13 hp gain was due to the Airaid and how much was due to the Bassani X-pipe.
If I was smart, I would have dynoed it before and after the Airaid, but guess I was too excited to wait. Sorry guys.
Old 1/11/06, 09:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok since I started this thread, I figured I would give my results Ken at MD motorsports made a tune for my Airaid CAI. I finally got it on monday. I took the car out and thought I noticed some pinging. I put the 87 octane tune in and it sounded like it went away. I then put some octane booster in and put the 91 tune back in. Because I still did not feel comfortable I took it to one of the Local Dyno shops (AZ Dyno Chip) and had them run a baseline. The went over the paramaters, and thought everything looked good but they also noticed some pinging and that the A/F was a bit high in the 13's. They had me add some fuel, and it went into the 12.85 A/F range and made more power. The guys at the dyno shop said that due to the crap gas we have in Arizona this was the reason. I made 3 runs, the first with the stock MD tune, and then 2 with the fuel adjustments back to back, on a Dynojet Dyno. Final results were

Max HP 290.47
Max TQ 308.06

Not to bad of #'s with just a CAI, tuner and some flowmasters. This was with the Venturi out. I think Ken's tune was very good, The car now feels like a beast when you hammer it. I kinda scared myself last night. and since all cars are different, it would be a good investment to get it checked out if you buy a tune by mail. The dyno run only cost me $60 and I picked up a few ponies. People spend 400 bucks on a throttle body and get nothing in return.
Old 1/12/06, 09:43 AM
GT Member

You said your tune is with the Venturi out? When I had mine tuned, we couldn't get it to idle smoothly with it out. The tuner said the MAF just wasn't reading. I'd like to know what I can do to fix this, that way I can take mine out and have it tuned.
Old 1/12/06, 01:40 PM
FR500 Member

I'd give Jon's tuner (Ken at MD Motorsports) a call and ask what it was he did.

I just noticed you have a Predator, but maybe you can glean enough info out of him to give your tuner a clue.

Based on my own experience with just using the Diablo hendheld with the Venturi out, it's going to need LOT'S of fuel added. I almost had mine running after adding a good amount of fuel to the mix. I stopped short of trying to make it run, figuring I'd get it dyno tuned. Each time I added fuel it got better and better, so I think the answer lies there somewhere.

You shouldn't NEED to add the MAF.ia extender at these N/A power levels, but the Airaid pipe without the venturi in is absolutely HUGE at 98mm. So that COULD be another option, but with an N/A setup like this and the fact that Jon's Dyno is maintaining a good A/F ratio throughout means his isn't getting fuel starved at all.

Just thinking out-loud
Old 1/12/06, 07:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@January 12, 2006, 1:43 PM
I'd give Jon's tuner (Ken at MD Motorsports) a call and ask what it was he did.

I just noticed you have a Predator, but maybe you can glean enough info out of him to give your tuner a clue.

Based on my own experience with just using the Diablo hendheld with the Venturi out, it's going to need LOT'S of fuel added. I almost had mine running after adding a good amount of fuel to the mix. I stopped short of trying to make it run, figuring I'd get it dyno tuned. Each time I added fuel it got better and better, so I think the answer lies there somewhere.

You shouldn't NEED to add the MAF.ia extender at these N/A power levels, but the Airaid pipe without the venturi in is absolutely HUGE at 98mm. So that COULD be another option, but with an N/A setup like this and the fact that Jon's Dyno is maintaining a good A/F ratio throughout means his isn't getting fuel starved at all.

Just thinking out-loud
Thanks Tony for letting him know the info. I work from 5:30am till 6:30pm towards the end of the week so it takes me a while to respond back. I would give Ken a call. The car idles as good a stock, I think it seems a bit high 900 rpm-1000, but other than that it is great. Tony was right about the fuel. The dyno showed I needed to add some more fuel, to get rid of the ping, and lower the A/F a bit, but remember I live in Arizona. The folks at the dyno shop even said, that unless you live in AZ most people don't really know. Crap gas and Hotter than heck temps suck for cars.
Old 1/12/06, 08:56 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the info guys. The shop I went to is part of the Diablo Chipmaster Revolution, so I feel pretty confident that he knows what he's doing. They really specialize in supercharged / turbocharged applications.

I was wondering if Diablo MAF Interface Kit would be an option, but I honestly don't know much about it.

When we started, he made some adjustments with the fuel, like the curve, then adjusted the timing. Since I'll be running 89 octane all the time, we held back on the timing to ensure the A/F ratio was in the optimal range. I'll give him a call back and see if we can come up with something. I imagine there is more power to be made by removing this venturi thing.
Old 1/12/06, 09:24 PM
FR500 Member

So far it appears there's another 8-10 horses between the 2.