GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Anybody dyno a Airaid CAI yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11/13/05, 08:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since I rarely see anything about CAI's, other than JLT,C&L, and K&N, I figured I'd bring up the topic on the one I have. There seems to be quite a few of us in Arizona with one (local company), but I have not seen any real interest on this site, or any of the other Mustang site (Exception being SixtySix's site, from Arizona) Everyone there including myself, loves it. There is a noticible difference in performance feel, and the performance claim of the company seems quite big, without a tune. Has anyone that owns one, gone to a local tuner and had a custom tune done without the venturi installed in the tube? Or has anyone dyno'd the CAI with the venturi without a tune. I am curious about the actuall A/F levels and the claimed HP. The last time I was at a dyno, was about 8 years ago, with my 65 mustang trying to diagnose a issue, and I was just observing then, so I'm not real knowledgable on how the dyno process works. If I was to take mine there, and get just a standard run to tell me HP and torque levels, would they also tell me A/F levels, or do I have to have something installed? And for those of you that have had custom tunes made for CAI's how much do they run. If it is more that a few hundred bucks, It would seem more cost effective to just buy another pipe such as the above mentioned CAI's. I want a SCT Xcal 2 and just wait for a tune, but am concerned that if I just hooked up the generic performance tune with the SCT that it might really throw off the A/F level.
Thanks in advance for any info
Old 11/13/05, 09:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Nice pipe. If you are sure this is the pipe you want purchase it and send it to one of the top three tuners for a custom tune on their car installed in an X-2.
Old 11/15/05, 02:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

The other nice thing about that pipe is the MAF is user upgradeable from 80mm to 90mm via a removeable venturi (cutom tuning required of course).
Old 11/15/05, 02:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Redfire 05Gt@November 15, 2005, 2:21 PM
The other nice thing about that pipe is the MAF is user upgradeable from 80mm to 90mm via a removeable venturi (cutom tuning required of course).
This is why I would like to see some interest in this pipe. I would love to see custom tuning done with the removable venturi in, and out, to see if it makes any HP difference, when tuned.
Old 11/15/05, 07:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be nice to see Jon but I somehow doubt it'll happen. Air Aid has a history of producing truck intakes so I doubt many will give them the time of day till they see exactly what intakes like the one for the Mustang are capable of. In time, as based on what I've seen AND heard, I think you'll see a lot more interest in the Air Aid!!
Old 11/15/05, 09:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I think I am going to be taking off my Airaid this weekend and sending it to MD Motorsports (Shop who did the test for 5.0 Mustangs and super Fords) The person I was E-mailing about the subject, said they would create a tune with and without the venturi. Since I have not tried any of the other intakes on the market, I cannot speak for them, but after 2 weeks of use, I still notice the power increase compared to the stock setup, so I am really curious what it puts out with and without a tune. Now I just have to cough up the price of the Xcal 2.
www.modulardepot.com
Old 11/15/05, 09:47 PM
FR500 Member

You already know my opinion

Glad to see you've found someone to do that remotely for you, I'll be interested too, and my fundage is on the looooow side for a little while longer (main waterline to my house broke last week) or I'd be right there with you.

I have no reason to doubt their claims, as traction is now much harder to come by nowadays and I have to resist the urge to nail the the throttle on the metered onramps in the morning because if I do 1st gear is nothing but slip, slide and a little smoke until second gear kicks in and gets traction.

I've got someone who I can work remotely with as well and may try that route until I finish the exhaust sometime in the spring.
Old 11/16/05, 10:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@November 15, 2005, 9:50 PM
You already know my opinion

Glad to see you've found someone to do that remotely for you, I'll be interested too, and my fundage is on the looooow side for a little while longer (main waterline to my house broke last week) or I'd be right there with you.

I have no reason to doubt their claims, as traction is now much harder to come by nowadays and I have to resist the urge to nail the the throttle on the metered onramps in the morning because if I do 1st gear is nothing but slip, slide and a little smoke until second gear kicks in and gets traction.

I've got someone who I can work remotely with as well and may try that route until I finish the exhaust sometime in the spring.
Tony I hear you about the fundage. With Xmas comming soon and tuition, $400 is alot of money, but as you know it's addictive. Plus hoping to get the gears done by the end of the year, when I cash out my sick time. My company pays time and a half for any unused sick time, and I have not missed a day yet. Gears, Tuner, and Drag slicks, and hopefully LT's with a catted xpipe early next year, then I hope to be in the 12's and be happy, till some cams with independentaly proven results come out. Then when the motor blows, beef it up, and time for a Kenny Bell SC
Old 11/16/05, 11:14 PM
FR500 Member

I think someone has the "sickness" worse than I do
Old 12/1/05, 06:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Had my AIRAID Intake System Dyno'd Today!

12/01/05 (68 degrees - low humidity)

No Stock Baseline Dyno

MODS:
Airaid Intake System
Jet Power-Flow Throttle Body Spacer
Flowmaster Axlebacks

1st RUN
Airaid Intake System with Modular Venturi Tube (MVT) Installed
No Custom Tune
MAX RWHP - 271.8
MAX RWT - 288.0

2nd RUN
Airaid Intake System with MVT Removed
SCT X-calibrator2
93 Tune
MAX RWHP - 281.3
MAX RWT - 295.8
Old 12/1/05, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by u-got-stang@December 1, 2005, 6:18 PM
Had my AIRAID Intake System Dyno'd Today!

12/01/05 (68 degrees - low humidity)

No Stock Baseline Dyno

MODS:
Airaid Intake System
Jet Power-Flow Throttle Body Spacer
Flowmaster Axlebacks

1st RUN
Airaid Intake System with Modular Venturi Tube (MVT) Installed
No Custom Tune
MAX RWHP - 271.8
MAX RWT - 288.0

2nd RUN
Airaid Intake System with MVT Removed
SCT X-calibrator2
93 Tune
MAX RWHP - 281.3
MAX RWT - 295.8
Did your tuner notice any issues with the MAF readings? The reason I'm asking is I am waiting for results back from the company listed above in earlier posts, and the data I got back sofar was that there was "noise" in the signal. He was going to try and retune with the venturi back in and see what difference would be noticed. Once I here word back I will post.
Thanks for letting us know what your dyno results were, and do you have any side views of you car, I like the looks of the Razzi window scoops, and considering them.
Old 12/1/05, 08:31 PM
Bullitt Member

No, my tuner didn't mention any problems with the MAF readings... Said everything went well.....

Here's the best side view picture I currently can post (all my other pictures are too large)... Will have some updated ones shortly...
Old 12/1/05, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

oooooooooooooo so md is tuning with ur air aid hmmm. HAHA cause i have one to, and im also intersted in MD's tune for the Airaid. SO as soon as i get the word ima go buy it!
Old 12/1/05, 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by u-got-stang@December 1, 2005, 8:34 PM
No, my tuner didn't mention any problems with the MAF readings... Said everything went well.....

Here's the best side view picture I currently can post (all my other pictures are too large)... Will have some updated ones shortly...
I just found my window scoops, Car looks great!!
Old 12/1/05, 08:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Baginoman2@December 1, 2005, 8:35 PM
oooooooooooooo so md is tuning with ur air aid hmmm. HAHA cause i have one to, and im also intersted in MD's tune for the Airaid. SO as soon as i get the word ima go buy it!
Once Ken gets back ahold of me with the results, I will post info.
Old 12/1/05, 09:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by jvm051@December 1, 2005, 9:52 PM
Once Ken gets back ahold of me with the results, I will post info.
If I were you when I had the coins I would send that pipe to one of the BIG THREE and have them make a SCT tune for it. No guess work with these guys as they KNOW what they are doing so in the long run it cost you less and it is correct the first time.
Old 12/1/05, 10:16 PM
Bullitt Member

HMMM i pretty sure ken is one of the best choices there is. MD motorsports is known to be one of the best tuners in the counrty
Old 12/1/05, 11:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Your $$ so spend it anyway you like! Unlike Tony I switched from the predator to an SCT from one of the Big Three and my car now kicks butt. I was not right the first time and had to pay the price. Anyone want a slightly used TB and predator?
Old 1/11/06, 10:35 AM
GT Member

I finally got around to installing my AirRaid on my '05.

Baseline - Bassani muffllers -280 rwhp
After AirRaid install, no tune, Bassani X-pipe and mufflers - 293 rwhp
After 89 octane Predator tune - 305 rwhp

We couldn't get it run / idle smoothly with the venturi out, so he tuned it with it in. Any one have any ideas as to why? Or how to fix it?
Old 1/11/06, 04:59 PM
Bullitt Member

I am curious to know why you don't think Ken B. at MD Motorsports is any good at what he does? I have seen quite a few articles that were written where he was the tuner for prototype stuff. I may be prejudiced but when I took my car to him he sure made it "kick butt"

Quick Reply: Anybody dyno a Airaid CAI yet?