GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Another Gear Thread

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/06, 01:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Mongoose@January 4, 2006, 11:17 PM
Prices go up every day and your dollar may not be worth as much in the spring so I would do it now!

If you were sorry to hijack you would not have done it in the first place.

Yeah, ok buddy. Way to get butt hurt over something re-tar-ded.
Old 1/5/06, 02:10 AM
Cobra Member

and an added comment...

After about 500 miles or so its apparently a good idea to change out the fluids in the differential.

I just did my fluid exchange this afternoon, took me about 2 hours to complete without a fluid pump. I had to gravity feed the 75w140 from a reservoir that was held above the differential housing. It then flowed down a vinyl hose and into the fill port on the driverside front of the diff. I had the room to do all this cause I jacked up the rear using the pumkin at first and then placed stands under the forward mounts of the lower control arms.

I'll back up...

Pop the cover open by removing the 10 bolts and pry the cover off using some gentle force from a flat head screwdriver. Clean the mating surfaces on both the diff and cover with a gasket scraper and steel mesh, brakeclean is handy to have too.

Allow the oil to drain out and use some paper towels to soak up the leftover in the bottom of the housing, you'll really have to stick some rags in there good (dont lose them though).

Once your ready to go, apply a bead of some Ultra Black RTV to the backside of the cover on both the outside in inside mounting surface, run some around the 10 bolt holes too. Let sit for about 10 minutes so it can become a bit tacky and will resist completely squeezing out when torquing down the cover. You dont have to use any certain sequence when turning in the bolts, just make sure theyre all nice and tight.

The fill plug uses a 3/8" drive ratchet to turn in and out, its square so this is a good method over buying a square chuck. Its best to have a fluid pump and wont create a big mess over your entire body and undeside of your car and on the street.

Apply some thread locker when tightening in the plug. Your set.

-Dan
Old 1/5/06, 07:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Dan's right, and you can actually change out the fluid in a new car at the same interval, if you feel like it.