GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Aeroforcetech Gauges came today. WHAT a product

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/07, 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
In the first post, it was mentioned that the oil temp. reading was not correct. Any more on this?
My understanding is that the oil temp is an "inferred" value, as there is no physical oil temp sensor. The data is based on the other temp values and how they would affect an increase in oil temp. There are several values that are synthesized this way, like exhaust temp, where there are no physical sensors to take a direct reading. The value should be roughly accurate. If you need pinpoint accuracy, then you would need to install a temp sensor, and wire it into the gauge as one of the analog inputs, or you would need a complete physical gauge.
Old 9/30/07, 01:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting. I have done some datalogging with my X-Cal and was intrigued by the oil temp behavior. On the interstate at a steady 75, the temps were like 165. I hit a small incline, and the temps IMMEDIATELY began to go up. After 15 seconds it was up to like 173 or something. I knew something was funny. I mean, a small incline couldn't cause 6qts of oil to raise 8 degrees in 15 seconds.
Old 10/1/07, 06:54 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I'm a little concerned about this "infered" value thing. I thought the scan gauge was reading the actual data from the car. I didn't think it was an estimate.

Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
My understanding is that the oil temp is an "inferred" value, as there is no physical oil temp sensor. The data is based on the other temp values and how they would affect an increase in oil temp. There are several values that are synthesized this way, like exhaust temp, where there are no physical sensors to take a direct reading. The value should be roughly accurate. If you need pinpoint accuracy, then you would need to install a temp sensor, and wire it into the gauge as one of the analog inputs, or you would need a complete physical gauge.
Old 10/1/07, 07:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I would believe that it is reading the actual data from the car, much the same way I dealer or mechanic would by using their scan tool or computer. Just to be exact though, you could add an actual physical sensor, etc.

I have a dual kit coming, chrome bezels w/ black faces and blue lighting... hope to have this week.
Old 10/1/07, 07:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
Interesting. I have done some datalogging with my X-Cal and was intrigued by the oil temp behavior. On the interstate at a steady 75, the temps were like 165. I hit a small incline, and the temps IMMEDIATELY began to go up. After 15 seconds it was up to like 173 or something. I knew something was funny. I mean, a small incline couldn't cause 6qts of oil to raise 8 degrees in 15 seconds.
i noticed the same behavior with both the scan gauge and the Aeroforce. So the Aeroforce gauges are dead on with what the computer sees. Great to know.

Originally Posted by Falchion
I'm a little concerned about this "infered" value thing. I thought the scan gauge was reading the actual data from the car. I didn't think it was an estimate.
It is reading what the computer sees. If the Car's computer is wrong, god help us all haha

Originally Posted by tom281
I would believe that it is reading the actual data from the car, much the same way I dealer or mechanic would by using their scan tool or computer. Just to be exact though, you could add an actual physical sensor, etc.

I have a dual kit coming, chrome bezels w/ black faces and blue lighting... hope to have this week.
exactly right. Enjoy the kit man. i love em. what id liek to know is how the car is calculating the ambient temperature
Old 10/1/07, 07:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey thanks again Ron for that link to modfords, I woulda ended up paying more than I did otherwise. In fact probably alot of us would have, I don't look at the vendors forum much over there.
Old 10/1/07, 07:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just have a hard time believing that the oil temp can actually rise that quickly by just going up a 2% grade on the interstate.
Old 10/1/07, 07:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey thanks again Ron for that link to modfords, I woulda ended up paying more than I did otherwise. In fact probably alot of us would have, I do look at the vendors forum much over there.
No problem man. Glad i could help!
Old 10/1/07, 08:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll 2nd the thanks Ron. I bought a dual kit as well.

I'll chime in on the Oil temp. The ECU must be "calculating" Oil temp based on all the other Temp sensors as well as load on the engine.
Ford must deem it close enough or they have determined it's not important enough to warrant it's own sensor. We'll probably never know the answer

I'm not worried about it either way. and you sure cant blame the gauges for reading what the ECU is telling them
Old 10/2/07, 08:20 AM

I guess you guys are right. It should be pretty cool to see what's going on with my car in real time! Even if some of the values are inferred.

Originally Posted by FordRacing
I'll 2nd the thanks Ron. I bought a dual kit as well.

I'll chime in on the Oil temp. The ECU must be "calculating" Oil temp based on all the other Temp sensors as well as load on the engine.
Ford must deem it close enough or they have determined it's not important enough to warrant it's own sensor. We'll probably never know the answer

I'm not worried about it either way. and you sure cant blame the gauges for reading what the ECU is telling them
Old 10/2/07, 04:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received shipping info today....... should have the guages soon. Now just gotta decide how I want to mount them!
Old 10/2/07, 07:04 PM

Yes, I got an E-mail that UPS got billing info from Aeroforce, so I guess that means it shipped already?

I ordered a single gauge SOS A pillar pod that will hopefully show up this week as well so that I can install it maybe Friday?

I also have a Autometer single gauge pod that I could use for a while if the SOS A pillar pod doesn't show up on time.

Received shipping info today....... should have the guages soon. Now just gotta decide how I want to mount them!
Old 10/2/07, 11:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

My gauges will be here tomorrow...
Old 10/3/07, 05:17 AM

Take some pics!

Originally Posted by FordRacing
My gauges will be here tomorrow...
Old 10/3/07, 07:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Will do; they are currently out for delivery. Its going to be a long day.
Old 10/3/07, 07:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Mine are arriving today too..... but I can't decide where/how I want to mount them.
Old 10/3/07, 08:15 AM

Yes, that kind of a hard thing to deceide. There's only so many places to put them. I'm going to get a single gauge pod from SOS to mount on the A pillar.

Mine are arriving today too..... but I can't decide where/how I want to mount them.
Old 10/3/07, 06:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Got 'em, installed 'em, love 'em so far....... pix:

Oh yeah, had the camera and wanted to post pix of the intercooler setup from the other week:

Old 10/3/07, 06:39 PM
Bullitt Member

My gauges and SOS single pod pillar will be here tomorrow. I can wait to get them installed!!!
Old 10/3/07, 06:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Tom, that is badazz!

I might have to add these to the list for the future

Quick Reply: Aeroforcetech Gauges came today. WHAT a product