Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Camaro vs Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/13, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is a tough one imo...i test drove a camaro to see what all the hype was about and i just felt like i had gone 3 rounds in a championship fight with GSP...not to mention i dropped it 4th at 65 and felt like i was going nowhere...i've never driven the challenger or even been inside one but the thing that would turn me off to it would be the ungodly price tag...took my stang in to get the oil changed cause i had a free one and walked around the dealership next door and saw an rt for 37k! 37k! i can buy a v6 stang for 20k and spend the extra 17 on a turbo or a supercharger and hang with 5.0s and more! but in the end i'd go with the challenger cause **** chevy...plus my dad always wanted one...
Old 3/12/13, 07:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by nateakabrog
this is a tough one imo...i test drove a camaro to see what all the hype was about and i just felt like i had gone 3 rounds in a championship fight with GSP...not to mention i dropped it 4th at 65 and felt like i was going nowhere...i've never driven the challenger or even been inside one but the thing that would turn me off to it would be the ungodly price tag...took my stang in to get the oil changed cause i had a free one and walked around the dealership next door and saw an rt for 37k! 37k! i can buy a v6 stang for 20k and spend the extra 17 on a turbo or a supercharger and hang with 5.0s and more! but in the end i'd go with the challenger cause **** chevy...plus my dad always wanted one...
Challengers are sweet cars, they look pretty good too, very close to the retro look also. My dad bought one in 2009, has about 710 miles on it, starts it up, looks at it, and that's it.
If it wasn't so heavy and stiff it'd be a great candidate. Their stock exhaust for the 5.7 hemi doesn't sound like our 5.0. Our 5.0 sounds pretty darn good stock, makes you want to drive it. Theirs is like ehh... Doesn't excite me.
The blind spot is probably the next thing. The colors of the b5 blue and hemi orange are awesome.
Ford has mastered I think in coming out with a muscle car, that can you put 10k into and still be under 40k but have a power plant of car.
Old 3/12/13, 01:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by nateakabrog
Don't think of the price, Dodge constantly sells cars way below MSRP. I think in my local area they have over 5k in rebates on charger/Challenger/Durango.
Old 3/12/13, 01:54 PM
GT Member

Redgt12, you bring up an interesting point about the Challenger 5.7 hemi exhaust. Did you know they had two different exhaust systems, one for automatics and one for standards? I found out when my 6 speed manual was delivered and the car was LOUD at any speed, unlike the quiet automatic I'd heard before I ordered my car. I asked what gives? Turns out they had a much quieter exhaust on the automatics because the automatics had cylinder deactivation and a loud exhaust sounded really bad when you were cruising on the highway and half your cylinders stopped firing. They made it quieter so it would be undetectable to automatic drivers. Damndest thing, eh?
Old 3/12/13, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by exchallenger
Redgt12, you bring up an interesting point about the Challenger 5.7 hemi exhaust. Did you know they had two different exhaust systems, one for automatics and one for standards? I found out when my 6 speed manual was delivered and the car was LOUD at any speed, unlike the quiet automatic I'd heard before I ordered my car. I asked what gives? Turns out they had a much quieter exhaust on the automatics because the automatics had cylinder deactivation and a loud exhaust sounded really bad when you were cruising on the highway and half your cylinders stopped firing. They made it quieter so it would be undetectable to automatic drivers. Damndest thing, eh?
That's weird, I love the look, but the mechanics is something else,
So I have a auto 5.0, I'm gonna assume we don't have same thing for ford?
Old 3/12/13, 08:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Mafia
I personally love the Challenger but was just too heavy and I went with my 12' GT. I used to be an F-body Camaro SS owner and loved that car so I'm not impartial to brands. In the end, the 5.0 was too sweet to pass up and I couldn't have made a better choice. If you went with the Camaro or Challenger, which would you choose and why?
The Challenger and Camaro are both Porkers and cant hang with a 5.0
Old 3/13/13, 08:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Muscle-Car-Memories

The Challenger and Camaro are both Porkers and cant hang with a 5.0
I don't see that the camaro is pretty much the performance equal to the mustang in just about every trim despite the weight penalty.
Old 3/19/13, 10:48 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's interesting why so many mustang owners will take the challenger over the camaro. I still see so many more camaros on the street. I would take an srt8 challanger (In blue please) over the camaro SS but would take the camro ss over the challenger r/t.
Old 3/20/13, 05:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
It's interesting why so many mustang owners will take the challenger over the camaro. I still see so many more camaros on the street. I would take an srt8 challanger (In blue please) over the camaro SS but would take the camro ss over the challenger r/t.
The camaro has been the sales leader since it was released in 2009 as a 2010 model. The mustang has been a close second and the Challenger is a distant third. It is a cool car bit simply not the same class of vehicle. Though better looking and a better performance it reminds me of the full size coupes of the 80s and 90s like the Thunderbird and Monte Carlo.
Old 3/20/13, 10:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT

The camaro has been the sales leader since it was released in 2009 as a 2010 model. The mustang has been a close second and the Challenger is a distant third. It is a cool car bit simply not the same class of vehicle. Though better looking and a better performance it reminds me of the full size coupes of the 80s and 90s like the Thunderbird and Monte Carlo.
I'm surprised the mustang isn't selling over camaro spaceship interior.
Old 3/20/13, 11:41 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedGT12
Actually the Mustang did overtake it IIRC. The numbers are pretty identical though...

See here https://themustangsource.com/f726/no...igures-516306/

He hasn't update since last November

Last edited by stangfoeva; 3/20/13 at 11:44 AM.
Old 3/30/13, 08:07 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RedGT12
I think the Camaro is now outselling the Mustang because the bodystyle of the Mustang is beginning to get older. Wait until the new Mustang arrives and then the Mustang will pass the Camaro again but even though the Camaro has been outselling the Mustang it has been a VERY small margin...
Old 3/30/13, 08:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Muscle cars are more about brand loyalty. Even if the mustang is better Chevy guys will buy the camaro, same with Ford guys buying the mustang
Old 5/27/13, 09:56 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
Muscle cars are more about brand loyalty. Even if the mustang is better Chevy guys will buy the camaro, same with Ford guys buying the mustang
So with what your saying is that since the Camaro is outselling the Mustang there are more Camaro fans than Mustang? I dont beleive that. I stick with the 2005 body style that we currently have, outdated suspension and a few other things that keep the Mustang outselling the Camaro and brand loyalty isnt one of them IMO.
Old 5/27/13, 10:40 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Muscle-Car-Memories
So with what your saying is that since the Camaro is outselling the Mustang there are more Camaro fans than Mustang?
Not necessarily. Maybe more Camaro fans are buying Camaros compared to Mustang fans buying Mustangs. Just because somebody is a Mustang fan doesn't really mean that he/she actually drives a Mustang.
I'm a Mustang fan, but I wouldn't buy one again. Yeah, Mustang was great when I was 16, but I'm almost 30 now and I have a family, more bills and Wisconsin winters are not ideal for RWD cars. So I small RWD gas-guzzler like a Mustang is not really practical for me anymore.
I'll always love Mustangs, but I would buy one only if I can afford it as a weekend toy.
Old 5/27/13, 10:46 PM

Ok ok ok...... I just turned 31..... I'm married, two kids (one due in 3weeks), three big dogs, a mortgage, bills, ect...... I DO OWN A MUSTANG GT!!!!!!!!! My wife drives the "family truckster" (2007 Kia Sedona). I've been abnormally obsessed with mustangs since I was eight. My gt is a 2001gt with full bolt ons, gears, suspension.........
Old 5/27/13, 10:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by witwicky01
Ok ok ok...... I just turned 31..... I'm married, two kids (one due in 3weeks), three big dogs, a mortgage, bills, ect...... I DO OWN A MUSTANG GT!!!!!!!!! My wife drives the "family truckster" (2007 Kia Sedona). I've been abnormally obsessed with mustangs since I was eight. My gt is a 2001gt with full bolt ons, gears, suspension.........
Congrats on new born,
Old 5/28/13, 05:11 AM

Thank you!!!!!
Old 6/2/13, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Camaro over a challenger as far as performance. As for comfort and styling, challenger. I'd rather have a challenger.
Old 11/14/13, 07:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had an 09 srt and traded for my stang... challenger dominates the camaro

I am a fan of the camaro it just leaves so must to be desired

Quick Reply: Camaro vs Challenger