Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Camaro & Challenger..not to worry...

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/08, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exgto
I don't see much correlation between the success and demise of the 70's Challenger and the new Challenger, which I happen to think Chrysler did a stellar job on overall. CAFE and emissions may spell the end of the LX platform, but that's really speculation.

You mention the original having the 440 and "real" hemi as somhow being an advantage. First, putting two squish pads at the top of a hemispherical combustion chamber to improve the eficiency hardly prohibits it from having hemispherical combustion chambers, but I digress. The new engines are so vastly superior to the old 426 hemi it almost silly to compare them. Moreover the new 5.7 real hemi will be putting out 375 hp, and again vastly superior to the old 440. I have to swallow hard when I say that because I loved my 440 Road Runner.

As far as the interior goes, it's basically standard LX fair, which isn't bad (I own a Magnum), but it could be better. The newer LX interiors use softer plastics here and there, but all that aside who cares? with regard to weight, again so what if it's 4100lbs...ever take an SRT8 for a ride?

Kudos to Dodge for listening to it's target audience and delivering what looks like a great car. I do think these days of modern musclecars will wind to a close soon in spite of some really great cars from the big 3.
exgto: Stellar response, exgto, and many valid statements are contained therein!

I point out that the real Hemi and the 440 were important pluses for the original Challenger because that proves that no one failed to buy them for a lack of power--which is one of several reasons people didn't buy the American Motors Javelin back in the day. With the most storied engine of its day available under the hood--and with a really, really strong backup engine (the 440) if you couldn't afford/get insured for the real Hemi--Challengers nevertheless went belly-up quickly. Only the woefully underpowered Javelin went bust quicker...

Today's Challenger looks like a 110 percent bigger original Challenger without the iconic engine choices of its long gone predecessor--but to make up for that today's Challenger is heavier. Expensive, too...

In today's tough marketplace, the Challenger is gonna be challenged--a lot of potential Challenger customers have bought Magnums and Chargers, others have bought Mustangs, and still others have bought vehicles not specifically in this class of car. The price Dodge is paying for being about four model years behind the renaissance of the Mustang...And I ain't even gonna speculate on the price of premium gasoline when the Challengers finally hit the dealerships...

To be continued...

Last edited by Eights; 4/1/08 at 11:30 AM.
Old 4/2/08, 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Black GT500
Eights

You do know you could type your reply into notepad or some other editor then paste the finished reply into your browser here. That way you would not have to deal with loosing your reply before you hit send...

Black GT500: Thanks! I've actually done that a time or two, but it is a vast hassle from this PC since it is a dedicated device that requires that I bring up a second session to get to my workfile or to "MyDocuments". It can be done, but the many steps required to switch sessions (logons, passwords, drilling down to where a Word file can be created & edited, and then switching back to the initial session) while not losing the input from the "Copy" for the later "Paste" is too much for a lazy guy with a lazy attitude like me. I'd do it, if what I had to say was more worthwhile--but that's so damned seldom...

Greg "Eights" Ates
Old 4/2/08, 12:45 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by silverbull271
come on guys....ITS NOT ALL ABOUT SPEED!
+1
More power typically means more tickets I was going to install a S/C but figured what's the point. I could only really use it at the track but then again, after all the money invested in my car, is it worth crashing it into a wall (from blowing a tire) just to see how fast it is. I have seen many nice cars trashed when guys play the "my car is faster than your car" routine.

Regardless I have nothing against the Camaro or Challenger but when it is all said and done, the Mustang will still dominate.
Old 4/3/08, 08:50 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

me too... 300HP is enough for DD
Old 4/12/08, 06:54 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by adrenalin
+1
More power typically means more tickets I was going to install a S/C but figured what's the point. I could only really use it at the track but then again, after all the money invested in my car, is it worth crashing it into a wall (from blowing a tire) just to see how fast it is. I have seen many nice cars trashed when guys play the "my car is faster than your car" routine.

Regardless I have nothing against the Camaro or Challenger but when it is all said and done, the Mustang will still dominate.
Great point

I was recently think about what I was going to do with some incoming tax money and thought about a power upgrade (fuel pumps and smaller pulley) and bypassed it when I thought.... 'Its a daily driver - how much more do I really need on the street? I can get into PLENTY enough trouble right now without trying all that hard'

Old 4/13/08, 01:17 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

I love the look of the Challenger, but I just can't convince the wife to replace the minivan for one.
Old 4/14/08, 12:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
I love the look of the Challenger, but I just can't convince the wife to replace the minivan for one.

Magnum SRT8 anyone?

Edit: sweet, 1000th post!

Last edited by ScottyBoy302; 4/14/08 at 12:27 PM.
Old 7/6/08, 08:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Route 66
Not to dog you, but what does adding some bolt-ons do for you? Couldn't they just add a couple also? I'm more interested in stock vs. stock. We should be keeping it close right there alone.
I agree.. but when was the last time the Mustang and Camaro neck and neck Stock? back with the 5.0 Fox. since then the Camaro has weight the same as the mustang, cost about the same and had more HP. Sucks but it's the truth. and when you Modded the LT1 or LS1 it would always beat the Mustang Mod for Mod. it looks like it will continue like this for the next few years. I do not know why Ford refuses to put a 5.4 or 5.8 in the mustang, 300hp is wimpy i mean there are NA V6's getting 300 HP. Plus the New Camaro RS V6 will have 300hp, the SS will have 405 and the Z28 will have 500hp. and the weight will be aroung 3750 lbs. were dead..
Old 7/6/08, 11:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2K05GT
I agree.. but when was the last time the Mustang and Camaro neck and neck Stock? back with the 5.0 Fox. since then the Camaro has weight the same as the mustang, cost about the same and had more HP. Sucks but it's the truth. and when you Modded the LT1 or LS1 it would always beat the Mustang Mod for Mod. it looks like it will continue like this for the next few years. I do not know why Ford refuses to put a 5.4 or 5.8 in the mustang, 300hp is wimpy i mean there are NA V6's getting 300 HP. Plus the New Camaro RS V6 will have 300hp, the SS will have 405 and the Z28 will have 500hp. and the weight will be aroung 3750 lbs. were dead..
Nobody is certain what the Camaro will weigh exactly at the moment, but I can tell you that I haven't seen a number for the base V8 under 3800lb thrown around by any credible source. This is going to be a heavy mother. In 2011 the Mustang GT gets a 5.0L V8 packing at least 400hp, and in a car that will weigh at least 300lb less than the Camaro. Personally, I don't see the above as being anything but good for FoMoCo and the Mustang.
Old 7/7/08, 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

No official numbers have been put out yet on either weight or hp options. Close hints are about the closest you can get. nothing difinative. A 300 hp v6 Camaro will not outrun a 300 hp v8 Mustang even if they weighed the same. The V6 may have 300 horse but the torque disparity is closer to 50 ft lb. That will make a difference, especially on the street. Everyone will have to wait for an actual announcement on options and weight. Even then the announced weight will be the lightest version. Add leather and all the bells and whistles and you wil see it climb much like the G8's advertised 3900 weight yet the G8 GT with leather and all the other options tested weighed in at like 4100 or just like my Camaro being lighter than the average 4th gen Camaro because it is a stripper model. Weight will vary from option to option. Pull up next to a 5th gen fully loaded with leather and you know he will be much heavier and probably close to 3900 lbs.
Old 8/12/08, 12:53 PM
GT Member

LS – 304-horsepower 3.6L
V6 DI engine, 18-inch Heritage steel wheels, StabiliTrak® Stability Control System with
Traction Control, ABS, six air bags, OnStar® and XM® Satellite Radio, all standard

LT – adds 18- or 19-inch
aluminum wheels, fog lamps, 6-way power driver’s seat, interior ambient lighting and more

SS – 400- or 422-horsepower
6.2L V8, 20-inch aluminum wheels, SS-unique front fascia, SS spoiler, exterior and interior
SS badging, 4-piston Brembo brakes, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift ****, 6-way power seat, limited-slip differential and more

RS Appearance Package
(available with LT and SS) – HID headlamps, spoiler on LT model, 20-inch 5-spoke wheel with Midnight Silver paint finish, RS unique taillamp, body-color roof ditch molding and RS badging (front and rear)

Front

* Wide, powerful stance that signifies dominating sports car road presence – 75.9-inch overall
vehicle width

* Forward “face” that is distinctly Camaro – Front grille that incorporates a slight “V” shape
(First Generation Camaro heritage) and overall aggressive look – New Chevy bowtie design that’s leaner, more horizontal and contemporary – SS and RS badging whereappropriate

* Aluminum hood with “power bulge” contributes to strong, powerful look * Reverse Mohawk roof
that extends twin cockpit theme inside * Standard fog lamps on LT and SS

* HID headlamps with “halo ring” display provide added visibility (RS Package)

Exterior Colors

Victory Red
Black
Rally Yellow
Silver Ice Metallic
Red Jewel Tintcoat (additional charge)
Cyber Gray Metallic
Aqua Blue Metallic
Inferno Orange Metallic
Imperial Blue Metallic
White (July 2009)

Available Dual Stripe Package (White and Cyber Gray)

Interior Colors
Jet Black
Titanium Gray
Neutral
Inferno Orange
Interior Accent Package

3.6L DI VVT V6 ENGINE
Standard engine on LS and LT models 304 horsepower and 273 lb.-ft. of torque
(automatic/manual transmission) Direct Injection (DI) enables fuel to be delivered directly to the
combustion chamber for a more complete burn of the air/fuel mixture – less fuel is required
One of the most fuel-efficient offerings in GM’s high-feature engine family, attaining an
estimated 26 mpg on the highway Employs Variable Valve Timing (VVT) to change the timing of valve operation as conditions vary – when combined with DI, it enables unmatched power, efficiency and low emissions

6.2L V8 ENGINE
Standard engine on SS models 400 horsepower and 395 lb.-ft. of torque (automatic transmission) – L99 engine
L99 engine incorporates Active Fuel Management (AFM) and Variable Valve Timing (VVT) for optimized valve timing and improved fuel economy

422 horsepower and 408 lb.-ft. of torque (manual transmission) – LS3 engine

SIX -SPEED MANUAL AISIN TRANSMISSION
Standard with the 3.6L DI VVT
V6 engine
Lower shift efforts and shorter shift throws Closer ratios for more rewarding, high-performance driving Quieter operation

HYDRA-MATIC® SIX -SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Available with 3.6L DI VVT V6 and 6.2L V8 engine (L99) One of the most technologically
advanced in the industry Incorporates TAPshift® with steering-wheel-mounted paddle
shifters for clutch-free six-speed automatic transmission shifting
Heritage Design (First Generation Camaro)
■■ Instrument panel designed to appear solid and refined
■■ Center console separated from instrument panel for a much wider, more spacious feel inside
■■ Available four-pack gauges in the center console (under the radio) reminiscent of the past – Contemporary graphics – LED backlit
■■ “Deep dish” thick grip, three-spoke steering wheel, leather-wrapped on most models, is intuitive and iconic
– “Camaro” displayed in horn pad
– Thumbwheel controls right where you need them (stereo volume and cruise control) Contemporary Execution
■■ Chrome and bright applications throughout
– Steering wheel
– Horn pad
– Cluster
– Inside door handles
– HVAC outlets
■■ Special lighting around all gauges to give a “floating” appearance
■■ Available ambient lighting runs across the upper edge of the appliqué in the instrument panel and doors using LED lighting technology – provides a subtle glow at nighttime
■■ Oversized ***** with chrome detail and rubber grommets that match Camaro’s bold, simple character
■■ Contemporary, comfortable seating with adjustable headrests
– Standard power recline driver and front passenger seat
– Standard 4-way manual driver’s seat and 2-way manual front passenger
– Available 6-way power adjustable driver’s seat
– Available leather-appointed, heated front seating surfaces

Additional Customer Delighters
■ Available express-open and venting sunroof (first for Camaro)
■ Large glove box
■ Door map pockets
■ Two world-class cupholders (fit numerous cup sizes)
■ Rear-seat pass-through
■ Center console bin storage with auxiliary input jack

■■ Available Boston Acoustics Sound Systems
– the first application in a GM vehicle
– 245-watt 9-speaker premium Boston Acoustics Sound System
– 6.5-inch woofers in each door
– 1-inch tweeters in A-pillars
– 3.5-inch center channel speaker in the upper Instrument Panel
– Seven-channel sub-woofer on rear shelf

TREMEC® 6 SPD MANUAL TRANSMISSION
■■ Standard with the 6.2L V8 engine (LS3)
■■ Shorter throws and smoother gear synchronization
■■ Overall improved shift feel with little or no vibration
■■ Wider gears for increased torque and handling capability

RIDE and HANDLING
■■ 52/48 weight distribution for enhanced driving characteristics
■■ Twin ball joint strut front suspension for precise handling
■■ Independent rear suspension for increased refinement
– 4.5-link system with coil-over shock absorbers and decoupled stabilizer bar
– Designed to handle power of the vehicle
– Better handling on rough surfaces
– A competitive advantage over solid axle
■■ Variable rate rack-and-pinion steering system for a sporty feel – 2.5 turns lock-to-lock
■■ Uplevel Brembo brakes with four piston calipers (front and rear) with racetrack stopping capability and durability (standard on SS)
■■ Standard engine oil and transmission oil coolers on SS
■■ Standard Tire Inflator Kit
■■ Convenient way to fix the majority of potential tire problems
■■ Camaro is lighter in weight with the Inflator Kit
■■ Available spare tire with LS and LT models (not available with SS)

Curb weight (lb / kg):
3750 / 1705 – LT w/ automatic
3741 / 1700 – LT w/ manual
3769 / 1713 – LS w/ automatic
3780 / 1718 – LS w/ manual
3913 / 1779 – SS w/ automatic
3860 / 1755 – SS w/ manual

Last edited by 2K05GT; 8/12/08 at 03:01 PM.
Old 8/12/08, 04:09 PM
MOTM Committee Member

No NAV option? I figured as much with that weird center console layout. I don't even think you can put an aftermaket one in there....
Old 8/14/08, 01:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
No NAV option? I figured as much with that weird center console layout. I don't even think you can put an aftermaket one in there....
Nope, only a Garman or Tom Tom
Old 8/14/08, 03:36 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Nope, only a Garman or Tom Tom
hahaha, that's sad. And they say it's supposed to be more "upscale" than the mustang? please. it doesn't even have factory NAV.

But you're right they could use a garmin or tom tom...