Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

2010 mustang vs camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/08, 09:14 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I think it comes with a flux capacitor too MBK. But GM is having problems with the production line lol
haha they can't make the 1.21 jigawatts compatible with possible in car mullets
Old 12/31/08, 09:44 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Jason, where are you getting (3860/430 from ? The Camaro SS, is (3860/422 HP.
The LS3 makes 430 in the Corvette. With the previous gen Camaro, GM tried to fool us with rating the LS1 low in the Camaro. My bet is that the LS3 in the Camaro and Corvette makes exactly the same power. The dyno will be the final judge.
Old 12/31/08, 09:58 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

here's a fun bet: i bet ford will make money on each mustang they sell and GM will lose money on each camaro they sell, any takers?
Old 12/31/08, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by max2000jp
The LS3 makes 430 in the Corvette. With the previous gen Camaro, GM tried to fool us with rating the LS1 low in the Camaro. My bet is that the LS3 in the Camaro and Corvette makes exactly the same power. The dyno will be the final judge.
What makes you think that for the 2010 Model year the Ls3 is only makeing 430hp, Maybe for the 2010 Model year the corvette is getting a Horsepower increase and could that be the version of the LS3 that is going into the Camaro (wink, wink). The 422hp initial number for the camaro were VERY, VERY early number, They were still working on it this whole time, don't be surprise that the final SAE certified Hp and Torque numbers differ a bit. For an Example, When GM first announced the Pontiac G8GXP Hp and Tq numbers they said 402 hp and 400lbs of Tq. BUUUUT the production car makes 415hp and 415lbs of TQ, maybe it will be the same for the camaro (wink, wink). The Camaro is fast boys, Shes is real fast. But I like that GM made the camaro not just some resurected muscle car, it is more of a modern high performance Sports car. Fast in a straight line Yes but fast around corners and Stops well too.
Old 12/31/08, 02:13 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MBK
here's a fun bet: i bet ford will make money on each mustang they sell and GM will lose money on each camaro they sell, any takers?
I'm in. Unfortunately GM will slip further and further into the red with every Camaro made...
Old 12/31/08, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

It MIGHT be in the future, if it every actually makes it onto the show room floor. In the meantime it's all a pipe dream!

Originally Posted by Truth411
What makes you think that for the 2010 Model year the Ls3 is only makeing 430hp, Maybe for the 2010 Model year the corvette is getting a Horsepower increase and could that be the version of the LS3 that is going into the Camaro (wink, wink). The 422hp initial number for the camaro were VERY, VERY early number, They were still working on it this whole time, don't be surprise that the final SAE certified Hp and Torque numbers differ a bit. For an Example, When GM first announced the Pontiac G8GXP Hp and Tq numbers they said 402 hp and 400lbs of Tq. BUUUUT the production car makes 415hp and 415lbs of TQ, maybe it will be the same for the camaro (wink, wink). The Camaro is fast boys, Shes is real fast. But I like that GM made the camaro not just some resurected muscle car, it is more of a modern high performance Sports car. Fast in a straight line Yes but fast around corners and Stops well too.
Old 12/31/08, 02:36 PM
GT Member

Hello guys, this is my first time posting. I am a Camaro fan, I know this is a mustang Site, so there is going to obviously be bias in many posts. But I don't think many of you guys are giving the Camaro the credit it deserves, Everybody knows the Camaro is going to whip the 2010 mustang like a red headed step child both V6 and V8. External looks are subjective, But I will say this that the camaro looks waaaaaaaaaaay better in person than in photos it is freakin awesome. I have seen that many of you guys don't like the interior, I think it needs to be said that all the interor photos that has been seen are not production. We are begining to see close to production interiors now, go to camaro5.com to see them, it is very nice.
I was carefully examining the Camaro when it came to the autoshow that is local to me. They did not allow people to sit in the interior, however the Ford guys did, and the Mustang was very comfortable.

Judging from photos the Camaro's interior looks some what sub par and may lookup scale. Unfortunately like the rest of GMs vehicles it feels cheap — real cheap.

The Mustang on the other hand interior looks great and from the comments 2010 and 1011 MY should be excellent. The Mustang has plenty of power and a great manual transmission. That alone with the great looking interior, SYNC and Fords superb quality will make me get a Mustang.

However I'll give the Camaro this — It does looks good
Old 12/31/08, 03:25 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Originally Posted by max2000jp
Assuming that your bet turns out to be correct, the 2011 Mustang will still have at least a 300lb weight advantage over the Camaro SS, so even with 30 more peak HP. I still give the edge over to the Mustang.

And if we really want to get crazy here, just add one of those factory super chargers, and you'll end up with a 2011 GT that's pushing 500-600 HP.

IMHO, that should be more than enough HP to beat the Camaro SS, hands down

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/31/08 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12/31/08, 07:16 PM

Assuming that your bet turns out to be correct, the 2011 Mustang will still have at least a 300lb weight advantage over the Camaro SS, so even with 30 more peak HP. I still give the edge over to the Mustang.

And if we really want to get crazy here, just add one of those factory super chargers, and you'll end up with a 2011 GT that's pushing 500-600 HP.

IMHO, that should be more than enough HP to beat the Camaro SS, hands down
You are foretting that with the mystical 5.0 V8 and 6spd trans, Also larger brakes to slow the car down, weight will increase. Ford did catch a break though, the 2010 Gov saftey regulations which increase wieght substantially has been pushed back to 2011. When the mustang is forced to comply with those saftey standards, the mustang's weight advantage will disappear. But in any case the 2011 mustang will not be 300lbs lighter, the 2012 mustang weight will be darn close to the camaro's. By the way yes you can spend $5,000+ on a blower to get the mustang to reach 500hp, the camaro only needs a $500 cam and a tune to make over 500 hp i can only imagine a camaro with $5,000 worth of mods to it. In other words just like a stock camaro will beat a stock mustang GT, a Mod camaro will beat a Mod Mustang. GM's LS engines are monsters, you can make crazy hp for so little money, something that can't be said for the mustang.

Last edited by Truth411; 12/31/08 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12/31/08, 08:57 PM

You are foretting that with the mystical 5.0 V8 and 6spd trans, Also larger brakes to slow the car down, weight will increase. Ford did catch a break though, the 2010 Gov saftey regulations which increase wieght substantially has been pushed back to 2011. When the mustang is forced to comply with those saftey standards, the mustang's weight advantage will disappear. But in any case the 2011 mustang will not be 300lbs lighter, the 2012 mustang weight will be darn close to the camaro's. By the way yes you can spend $5,000+ on a blower to get the mustang to reach 500hp, the camaro only needs a $500 cam and a tune to make over 500 i can only imagine a camaro with $5,000 worth of mods to it. In other words just like a stock camaro will beat a stock mustang GT, a Mod camaro will beat a Mod Mustang. GM's LS engines are monsters, you can make crazy hp for so little money, something that can't be said for the mustang.
Although the 2011MY with 5.0 V8, 6spd. trans including larger brakes will result in a weight increase. It will not result by a significant amount, as the new 5.0L V8 will feature an all aluminum block. Just as the current 4.6 has. Thus keeping weight down.

As for the Mustang being forced to comply with the Gov. safety regulations. I'm quite certain that due to the recent govt. bailout of GM, and Chrysler. The conditions under the bailout agreement which require providing more fuel efficient vehicles, will take top priority over any additional safety regulations.

And hopefully by 2011-12, the entire auto industry will have figured out a solution for complying with Gov. safety regulations, without having to increase weight, by using stronger/lightweight materials.

On the other hand, if Mustang has no other option, but to increase weight in order to comply with the Gov. safety regulations. Then so will Camaro.

Therefore in the end, Mustang will continue to be lighter anyhow.

In other words just like a stock camaro will beat a stock mustang GT, a Mod camaro will beat a Mod Mustang.

As for beating the Mustang stock for stock ? Once again, I really don't see how just a 22-30 HP advantage could possibly be enough of a factor, for blowing away a 5.0L 400HP Mustang.

GM's LS engines are monsters, you can make crazy hp for so little money, something that can't be said for the mustang.

And your forgetting that an LS-3 requires 6.2L of displacement, in order to produce 422-430 HP. Where on the other hand, Ford's modular V8, only requires 5.0L of displacement to produce 400 HP.

the camaro only needs a $500 cam and a tune to make over 500 hp
Big friggin deal, as the Mustang can also make more HP with a cam and a tune as well.

With that said, Ford's modular V8 requires far less displacement over GM's LS-3 pushrod, when it comes to making the most HP. Which is something that can't be said for the Camaro !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/1/09 at 02:46 PM.
Old 1/1/09, 09:36 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

hey oh!
Old 1/1/09, 04:35 PM

Although the 2011MY with 5.0 V8, 6spd. trans including larger brakes will result in a weight increase. It will not result by a significant amount, as the new 5.0L V8 will feature an all aluminum block. Just as the current 4.6 has. Thus keeping weight down.

As for the Mustang being forced to comply with the Gov. safety regulations. I'm quite certain that due to the recent govt. bailout of GM, and Chrysler. The conditions under the bailout agreement which require providing more fuel efficient vehicles, will take top priority over any additional safety regulations.

And hopefully by 2011-12, the entire auto industry will have figured out a solution for complying with Gov. safety regulations, without having to increase weight, by using stronger/lightweight materials.

On the other hand, if Mustang has no other option, but to increase weight in order to comply with the Gov. safety regulations. Then so will Camaro.

Therefore in the end, Mustang will continue to be lighter anyhow.

As for beating the Mustang stock for stock ? Once again, I really don't see how just a 22-30 HP advantage could possibly be enough of a factor, for blowing away a 5.0L 400HP Mustang.

And your forgetting that an LS-3 requires 6.2L of displacement, in order to produce 422-430 HP. Where on the other hand, Ford's modular V8, only requires 5.0L of displacement to produce 400 HP.

Big friggin deal, as the Mustang can also make more HP with a cam and a tune as well.

With that said, Ford's modular V8 requires far less displacement over GM's LS-3 pushrod, when it comes to making the most HP. Which is something that can't be said for the Camaro !
1. You are mistaken, The camaro will not gain any weight since it already complys with the new Gov. saftey regs, it is the mustang that is out of compliance, it will gain wieght sooner or later.

2. Funny how you think it is no big deal that it only takes a $500 cam for an LS3 to make over 500 hp compared to over $5,000 blower for the mustang to make 500 hp.

3. Your hp per liter argument is useless, What matters is what makes a difference in the real world. The LS3 make more horspower AND IS MORE FUEL EFFIECIENT!!!! If you want to stand up for fords Mod engines that are smaller, less powerfull, and less fuel effiecient then that is your decision.

4. Like I said a Camaro with a blower will beat a mustang with a blower, also the 2010 mustang gt only make 315 hp.

5. If your mystical 5.0 400 hp V8 does exist, Gm is not worried about it because the Gen V small blocks are right around the corner. The corvette will get it first then the camaro the following year, no matter what, your mustang will be about 100 hp down compared to the camaro, Gen V small blocks is that good.

6. Also if the Mystical 5.0 400 hp V8 does exist it is said to have an 11.0 Compression ratio which means you can kiss your factory option superchager good bye. If you want boost from the factory, you will have to go ecoboost.

Last edited by Truth411; 1/1/09 at 04:46 PM.
Old 1/1/09, 05:17 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

There is more to cars than just horsepower.

Camaro always had more power than Mustang. How exactly did that help Camaro throughout the history?

But then again, Camaro SS is a top Camaro available. And you can always go from Mustang GT to Shelby Mustang.
Old 1/1/09, 05:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Where is that "Mystical" Camaro?

LMFAO!

The Mustang is here Today!
It has actually always been here...

As it stands there are hundreds of thousands of 300 horsepower Mustang GTs on the road, and ZERO Camaros.

The Mustang still enjoys a 300 horsepower advantage. Why don't you come back here and woof your crap after you get your new Camaro, or should we say IF you get your new Camaro.

1. You are mistaken, The camaro will not gain any weight since it already complys with the new Gov. saftey regs, it is the mustang that is out of compliance, it will gain wieght sooner or later.

2. Funny how you think it is no big deal that it only takes a $500 cam for an LS3 to make over 500 hp compared to over $5,000 blower for the mustang to make 500 hp.

3. Your hp per liter argument is useless, What matters is what makes a difference in the real world. The LS3 make more horspower AND IS MORE FUEL EFFIECIENT!!!! If you want to stand up for fords Mod engines that are smaller, less powerfull, and less fuel effiecient then that is your decision.

4. Like I said a Camaro with a blower will beat a mustang with a blower, also the 2010 mustang gt only make 315 hp.

5. If your mystical 5.0 400 hp V8 does exist, Gm is not worried about it because the Gen V small blocks are right around the corner. The corvette will get it first then the camaro the following year, no matter what, your mustang will be about 100 hp down compared to the camaro, Gen V small blocks is that good.

6. Also if the Mystical 5.0 400 hp V8 does exist it is said to have an 11.0 Compression ratio which means you can kiss your factory option superchager good bye. If you want boost from the factory, you will have to go ecoboost.
Old 1/1/09, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Red Star
There is more to cars than just horsepower.

Camaro always had more power than Mustang. How exactly did that help Camaro throughout the history?

But then again, Camaro SS is a top Camaro available. And you can always go from Mustang GT to Shelby Mustang.
Very true, Which is another advantage the camaro has over the mustang. 6 speed transmissions, IRS, Standard 4 piston Brembo Brakes 14"/14.4" front to rear, 50/50 Front/Rear weight distribution, Standard transmission and eingine oil coolers etc...
Old 1/1/09, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Black GT500
LMFAO!

The Mustang is here Today!
It has actually always been here...

As it stands there are hundreds of thousands of 300 horsepower Mustang GTs on the road, and ZERO Camaros.

The Mustang still enjoys a 300 horsepower advantage. Why don't you come back here and woof your crap after you get your new Camaro, or should we say IF you get your new Camaro.
Maybe you forgot the name of this thread, it is mustang vs Camaro. Also enjoy that argument while you can.
Old 1/1/09, 09:10 PM

According to whom, you ? Do you actually have any sources to back up this claim of yours. Other than yourself, there hasn't been a single source who has mentioned anything about the Mustang being out of compliance with your new Gov. safety regulations. Therefore either post some actual facts to back up your claim, or otherwise "drop it"

And again, other than yourself. There hasn't been a single person who has confirmed that your LS-3 can make 500 HP with just a $500 cam, therefore once again. Unless your able to provide a source to confirm this. Your 500HP cam, does not exist.

Useless, in what way ? If it takes a 5.0 motor to produce 400 HP, and a 6.2 motor to produce just 22-30 HP more. It surely doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out, that the smaller 5.0 modular V8 produces more HP than a larger 6.2 pushrod V8 does. Therefore, I'll stand up for my smaller/modular V8's over your larger displacement pushrod's anyday.

Hello, is there anybody in there ??? From the very beginning of this thread, I've been referring exclusively to the 400HP 5.0 that will arrive on the 2011MY next year, and NOT the upcoming 2010 GT. In other words, if you put a blower on a 400HP 5.0, and a blower on your 2010 Camaro SS. There will once again, only be a 22-30HP difference. So you tell me just how in the hell your 2010 Camaro is going to beat the pants off a 400HP Mustang, by such a small margin

Mystical you say ? well FYI, if you honestly think Ford is just going to sit back, and allow GM to have 100+ HP over the Mustang. Then GM is absolutely 100% out it's mind, and deserves to go bankrupt.

Well once again, you haven't provided a single source, who's confirmed anything regarding your posts, and until you do. Your arguments don't mean a d@mn thing, and are therefore useless.

End of story !
Old 1/1/09, 09:15 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Very true, Which is another advantage the camaro has over the mustang. 6 speed transmissions, IRS, Standard 4 piston Brembo Brakes 14"/14.4" front to rear, 50/50 Front/Rear weight distribution, Standard transmission and eingine oil coolers etc...
Mustang has experience over Camaro.

And pretty much every vehicle that GM developed outside the USA and then tried to sell in the USA was a failure. Latest example is Pontiac G8 (do I even need to mention Saturns?). Why would Camaro be any different?
Old 1/1/09, 09:41 PM
GT Member

I know I'm going on a tandem but I kinda like the Challenger better then both the Mustang() and Camaro(). If only it wasn't land yacht. It weighs almost as much as my dad's Marauder(!)
Old 1/1/09, 09:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

You know, after watching this argument being all about horsepower, i am going to look at them and compare them in everything.

1. Interior- no contest, I will prefer Mustang over Camaro. Chevy, if you didn't notice, it is the year 2009. My 2000 F150's dash looks better.

2. design- this is really tough but I would have to go with Camaro only because she has a better rear end than the Mustang's "dirty diaper"

and ill continue tomorrow gotta go to sleep

Last edited by Knight Rider; 1/2/09 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: 2010 mustang vs camaro