Camaro 6.2 422hp 406 torque
25.49%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

2010 mustang vs camaro

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/09 | 05:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by red pony
As i said earlier they will win the race to the junk yard! That is because no matter what GM does in the way of technology, they use lousy materials coupled with sloppy machine shop work! I've seen it first hand for years! Case in point; during the winter monthes for 3 years straight, we had at least 4 full size pick ups come in on the hook each winter because the ring gear in the differential SHATTERED! All it took was to be going down the road, hit an ice patch , and as soon as the tires grabbed traction again , snap-- bang! In 2 events it wiped it all out, housing and all! In about half of the events, GM quietly warrantied the ones they could, and the rest suffered a bill close to 3 grand!
Ah, GM's infamous 'grenade-loc'/ Eaton G-80 rear.

Last edited by jsaylor; 1/5/09 at 05:14 PM.
Old 1/5/09 | 07:56 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Originally Posted by red pony
As i said earlier they will win the race to the junk yard! That is because no matter what GM does in the way of technology, they use lousy materials coupled with sloppy machine shop work! I've seen it first hand for years! Case in point; during the winter monthes for 3 years straight, we had at least 4 full size pick ups come in on the hook each winter because the ring gear in the differential SHATTERED! All it took was to be going down the road, hit an ice patch , and as soon as the tires grabbed traction again , snap-- bang! In 2 events it wiped it all out, housing and all! In about half of the events, GM quietly warrantied the ones they could, and the rest suffered a bill close to 3 grand!
This doesn't shock me in the least bit, Rich. For GM has used lousy materials for years. Which is just another fine example of why potential customers prefer the imports over the domestic automakers.

It's because the Japanese know how to build cars better, by using quality materials along with higher quality workmanship.

It's no wonder that GM finds itself near bankruptcy.
Old 1/5/09 | 08:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
This doesn't shock me in the least bit, Rich. For GM has used lousy materials for years. Which is just another fine example of why potential customers prefer the imports over the domestic automakers.

It's because the Japanese know how to build cars better, by using quality materials along with higher quality workmanship.
Insert Ford and Chrysler in there too. The big 3 were behind in interior quality and refinement for a long time and they have only recently been coming close to matching the imports.
Old 1/5/09 | 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by max2000jp
Insert Ford and Chrysler in there too. The big 3 were behind in interior quality and refinement for a long time and they have only recently been coming close to matching the imports.
Ford no longer fits in that category, as not only have they been close to matching the imports in quality materials and refinement, but have also exceeded them as well.

However the same cannot be said, for GM and Chrysler.
Old 1/5/09 | 10:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Ford no longer fits in that category, as not only have they been close to matching the imports in quality materials and refinement, but have also exceeded them as well.

However the same cannot be said, for GM and Chrysler.
Ford hasn't matched the imports yet. Until the 2010's are in the dealers and you can feel and touch the materials, that statement is not true. The pictures of the 2010 Mustang look nice, but there is a post in the 2010 forum that states that the 2010 still uses hard plastics.
Old 1/6/09 | 01:53 AM

Ford hasn't matched the imports yet. Until the 2010's are in the dealers and you can feel and touch the materials, that statement is not true. The pictures of the 2010 Mustang look nice, but there is a post in the 2010 forum that states that the 2010 still uses hard plastics.
Jason, according to the following links I've posted below. Ford Motor Co. Honda Motors and Toyota Motors quality ratings are in a dead heat. Therefore my previous statement, is indeed accurate.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/thefordstory/

http://www.fordvehicles.com/forddriv...ity/?TopicID=1

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.ph..._articleid=661

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/6/09 at 02:25 AM.
Old 1/6/09 | 08:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Jason, according to the following links I've posted below. Ford Motor Co. Honda Motors and Toyota Motors quality ratings are in a dead heat. Therefore my previous statement, is indeed accurate.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/thefordstory/

http://www.fordvehicles.com/forddriv...ity/?TopicID=1

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.ph..._articleid=661
I am not talking about reliability. I am talking about interior quality of materials and fit and finish.

Per your C&D link:
"Inside, the Fusion also receives a new instrument panel, redesigned seats, and more stylish trim, although the quality of some of the materials isn’t yet on par with those of the class leaders"

Ford is improving, but not there yet.
Old 1/6/09 | 09:27 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

i think the discussion was about mechanical reliability which i see as much more important
Old 1/6/09 | 10:03 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by MBK
i think the discussion was about mechanical reliability which i see as much more important
I'd still disagree with that based on 2008 data. Ford and Chevy are nearly identical per JD power.
Old 1/6/09 | 10:11 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

of course you would
Old 1/6/09 | 11:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by MBK
of course you would
The data doesn't lie:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/04/j...-quality-study
Old 1/6/09 | 01:36 PM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

i dont understand why you rag on ford so much but have 500+ HP i just dont get it sorry
Old 1/6/09 | 02:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

When you bring in the imports into the discussion, you're not comparing apples to apples . Besides, when you look at the early generations of Mustangs the interior texture panels were steel.... nothing "soft" about that! Yet they sold like hotcakes! 3 factories were running at full capacity just to keep up with the orders! I think this nonsense about the hard plastic interior panels as being inferior is stupid when what some people call "better" is nothing more than vinyl stretched over cardboard!
Old 1/6/09 | 02:02 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I sat in the 2010 myself in L.A. and drove my friends 2006 Honda Accord to get there, its on par trust me.
Old 1/6/09 | 02:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I sat in the 2010 myself in L.A. and drove my friends 2006 Honda Accord to get there, its on par trust me.
Indeed. With nothing more than soft touch plastics on the dash, steering wheel, and arm rests the new Mustang would match the Japanese tit for tat in this price range. Accord and Camry use far fewer soft touch plastics than they once did and lesser models like Civic and Corolla, both of which can move into the mid 20's with ease, use almost no soft touch plastic at all.
Old 1/6/09 | 04:40 PM

I am not talking about reliability. I am talking about interior quality of materials and fit and finish.

Per your C&D link:
"Inside, the Fusion also receives a new instrument panel, redesigned seats, and more stylish trim, although the quality of some of the materials isn’t yet on par with those of the class leaders"

Ford is improving, but not there yet.

Jason, MBK is correct. I was referring to mechanical reliability, and not so much about interior materials along with fit and finish.
Old 1/6/09 | 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by MBK

Your absolutely right on the money, for I was indeed referring to mechanical reliability. Which I also see as much more important as well.
Old 1/6/09 | 04:50 PM

I couldn't agree more, as the data indeed, does not lie.

NEW QUALITY STUDY SHOWS FORD IS SECOND TO NONE
Published: April 8, 2008

When it comes to initial vehicle quality, no automaker performs better than Ford.

The quality of Ford, Lincoln and Mercury brand vehicles soared to the top of the charts equaling that of Toyota and Honda, according to the first quarter 2008 U.S. Global Quality Research System (GQRS) study conducted by RDA Group of Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
The study shows Ford’s domestic brands improved 8 percent versus last year with a combined average of 1,284 things-gone-wrong (TGW) per 1,000 vehicles during the first three months of ownership. This performance is statistically equivalent to the 1,250 TGW level of Honda and Toyota.

The company earned best-in-class honors in two important engineering functions: interiors, which includes such areas as trim, seats and instrument panel appearance; and electrical, which includes entertainment systems. Ford tied for best-in-class in two other functions, paint and vehicle engineering, which includes such areas as ride and handling and cabin quietness.

A total for 15 Ford, Lincoln, Mercury vehicles are ranked in the top three of their respective segments for either TGW performance, customer satisfaction or both.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/6/09 at 04:55 PM.
Old 1/6/09 | 05:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by MBK
i dont understand why you rag on ford so much but have 500+ HP i just dont get it sorry
If everyone agreed with the product Ford built, then there would be no progress. There are folks on this board that would still defend the Mustang even if it had a Briggs and Stratton. Call it tough love
Old 1/6/09 | 05:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I couldn't agree more, as the data indeed, does not lie.

NEW QUALITY STUDY SHOWS FORD IS SECOND TO NONE
Published: April 8, 2008

When it comes to initial vehicle quality, no automaker performs better than Ford.

The quality of Ford, Lincoln and Mercury brand vehicles soared to the top of the charts equaling that of Toyota and Honda, according to the first quarter 2008 U.S. Global Quality Research System (GQRS) study conducted by RDA Group of Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
The study shows Ford’s domestic brands improved 8 percent versus last year with a combined average of 1,284 things-gone-wrong (TGW) per 1,000 vehicles during the first three months of ownership. This performance is statistically equivalent to the 1,250 TGW level of Honda and Toyota.

The company earned best-in-class honors in two important engineering functions: interiors, which includes such areas as trim, seats and instrument panel appearance; and electrical, which includes entertainment systems. Ford tied for best-in-class in two other functions, paint and vehicle engineering, which includes such areas as ride and handling and cabin quietness.

A total for 15 Ford, Lincoln, Mercury vehicles are ranked in the top three of their respective segments for either TGW performance, customer satisfaction or both.
There seems to be a disparity in the data. I'd tend to trust JD Power vs RDA group for one simple reason....RDA was hired by Ford.

Quick Reply: 2010 mustang vs camaro