25.49%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

2010 mustang vs camaro

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/09, 10:14 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Star
Actually Chrysler was planing 1975 Challenger and Barracuda, but I think they run out of money.

Some of clay models.

WOW !!! great find, Zoran. For it really sucks that Chrysler ran out of money. Otherwise these prototypes may have gone on to become the next generation Challenger/ Cuda.

As a matter of fact, should the current Challenger survive long enough to see a next generation. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised, if Chrysler uses those prototypes for the next production design.

Of course they would need to be smaller, and updated to survive in today's global economy, however I really like the overall shape.
Old 1/7/09, 10:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Black, I agree with everything you've stated in your post. With the exception of this quote

IMO, the Cuda along with the Challenger finally shed it's economical, family type transportation/non youthful appealing image of the Valiant, in 1970. As both the Challenger and Cuda, were finally recognized as Pony Cars in their own right. For their new body styles were much more aggressive and appealing while also taking inspiration from, and incorporating the Mustang's long hood, and short rear deck.

But by the time 1974 came along, it was apparant that nether were turning enough of a profit for Chrysler, due to poor sales. More than likely due to the Arab Oil Embargo Crisis along with stricter federal emission regulations. Therefore ending production, as a direct result.
Isn't it funny how history repeats itself? Same style body or shall we say a copy of it! Chrysler looking for a bail-out not long after that. The Mustang doing reasonably well despite the economy, the Camaro turns into a big fat pig.... the '70's and today... it's deja-vous-- deja-vous!
Old 1/7/09, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by red pony
Isn't it funny how history repeats itself? Same style body or shall we say a copy of it! Chrysler looking for a bail-out not long after that. The Mustang doing reasonably well despite the economy, the Camaro turns into a big fat pig.... the '70's and today... it's deja-vous-- deja-vous!
Hey Rich, want to know what my opinion of the 2010 Camaro is. Not only do I see it as a big fat pig, but also as a cartoon caricature/hot wheels version of the 68-69 models.

As a matter of fact, the **** thing has no shape to it all. And looks as though somebody carved it out from a huge block of soap, as history does indeed seem to repeat itself

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/7/09 at 10:43 PM.
Old 1/7/09, 10:37 PM

Aye you know I'm as much as a Mustang fan as the next foo but how do we know the Mustang will get a 5.0? How do we know it will be a 4V? How do we know it will have 400HP? If we even do get a 5.0 which I hope we do it might have more like 330HP realistically speaking. The 2010 Shelby GT500 Cobra got a 40HP increase. People were talking about some 550HP or 600HP. If the Mustang gets a 5.0 then maybe the Cobra will be increased but these are great IFS...sad but true who knows. The Camaro may never be released because of GM's current situation and Ford is not that far in deep yet but at least it will live to see some of 2009. I don't know about GM or Chrysler. Maybe Ford will live to see the beginning months of 2010 and hopefully they will release the 2010 Mustang soon in 2010 so we can see a 5.0 if Ford does it. I'm not trying to shoot down our hopes just trying to keep it real.

Last edited by WILHELM; 1/7/09 at 10:38 PM.
Old 1/7/09, 10:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Rich, want to know what my opinion of the 2010 Camaro is. Not only do I see it as a big fat pig, but also as a cartoon caricature/hot wheels version of the 68-69 models.

As a matter of fact, the **** thing has no shape to it all. And looks as though somebody carved it out from a huge block of soap
I've often told people that feel GM body styles were ugly that GM gives a dislexic autistic child a block of clay and tell him " have at it " and voila you have a Pontiac Aztec! And the names they choose Avalanche, Colbalt----leave it to GM to name their cars after catastrophies and things lethal for man!

Last edited by red pony; 1/7/09 at 10:58 PM.
Old 1/7/09, 10:53 PM

I've often told people that feel GM body styles were ugly that GM gives a dislexic autistic child a block of clay and tell him " have at it " and voila you have a Pontiac Aztec!
And we all know how long that abomination lasted along with that oversized, bloated Cavalier that Pontiac put GTO badges on, in 03-04
Old 1/7/09, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by WILHELM
Aye you know I'm as much as a Mustang fan as the next foo but how do we know the Mustang will get a 5.0? How do we know it will be a 4V? How do we know it will have 400HP? If we even do get a 5.0 which I hope we do it might have more like 330HP realistically speaking. The 2010 Shelby GT500 Cobra got a 40HP increase. People were talking about some 550HP or 600HP. If the Mustang gets a 5.0 then maybe the Cobra will be increased but these are great IFS...sad but true who knows. The Camaro may never be released because of GM's current situation and Ford is not that far in deep yet but at least it will live to see some of 2009. I don't know about GM or Chrysler. Maybe Ford will live to see the beginning months of 2010 and hopefully they will release the 2010 Mustang soon in 2010 so we can see a 5.0 if Ford does it. I'm not trying to shoot down our hopes just trying to keep it real.
Because until Ford officially confirms the 5.0. due to liability and legal concerns. All we have to rely on for right now, is info that websites such as TMS get from reliable Ford insiders, such as fourcam330@svtperformance.com and ivan@blueovalnews.com
Old 1/7/09, 11:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

And we all know how long that abomination lasted along with that oversized, bloated Cavalier that Pontiac put GTO badges on, in 03-04
Pontiac, We Build Excrement! Chevy Thunder-- it goes BOOM!!

Last edited by red pony; 1/7/09 at 11:21 PM.
Old 1/7/09, 11:36 PM

I've often told people that feel GM body styles were ugly that GM gives a dislexic autistic child a block of clay and tell him " have at it " and voila you have a Pontiac Aztec! And the names they choose Avalanche, Colbalt----leave it to GM to name their cars after catastrophies and things lethal for man!

You know Rich, until you just brought this to my attention. It never dawned on me that GM chooses the names for it's vehicles after disasters. Perhaps sub-consciously, this was one of my reason for being turned off from buying their products. It's real funny as to how things seem to always turn out for the best, although you may not realize it, at the time.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/7/09 at 11:45 PM.
Old 1/7/09, 11:39 PM

Pontiac, We Build Excrement! Chevy Thunder-- it goes BOOM!!

GMC = Generic Made Crap Chevy, the heartbeat of america = cardiac arrest

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/7/09 at 11:43 PM.
Old 1/7/09, 11:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

GMC= Generic Made Crap
GMC= Good Mechanic's Companion GM= Giant Mistake
Old 1/8/09, 12:08 AM

GMC= Good Mechanic's Companion GM= Giant Mistake

GMC = Giant made catastrophe
Old 1/8/09, 12:24 AM

Because until Ford officially confirms the 5.0. due to liability and legal concerns. All we have to rely on for right now, is info that websites such as TMS get from reliable Ford insiders, such as fourcam330@svtperformance.com and ivan@blueovalnews.com
So have they said from there inside resources that we will be getting a 5.0? and that it will be a 4V engine with 400HP?
Old 1/8/09, 05:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

You know Rich, until you just brought this to my attention. It never dawned on me that GM chooses the names for it's vehicles after disasters. Perhaps sub-consciously, this was one of my reason for being turned off from buying their products. It's real funny as to how things seem to always turn out for the best, although you may not realize it, at the time.
It's not only your subconscience that helped you make that choice , it was your conscience choice too, 'cause when you saw a car broke down along the highway, as you drove by 9 times out of 10, it's a GM product with its hood up! My father was a Ford man too and he told me more than once that "if you want to make a living working on cars, go to work for a GM dealership, you certainly won't starve!" That advice served me well for 36 years! Worked for a Buick dealer for almost 4 years and for Chevy for 32 years.... another reason to buy Fords! Working for Chevy during the late 70's-early 80's was interesting! When a chevy came in for an oil change, if it was a V8, it needed an oil change, cam and lifters!

Last edited by red pony; 1/8/09 at 06:37 AM.
Old 1/8/09, 12:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Wow I sure missed a lot! I'm just going to be honest here no intend to offend anybody.

Ok here is my opinion of the last 2 weeks or so of debate of the Mustang VS Camaro.

1. I hate hearing inflated "details" of a car that is not even in production yet. Notice how the new Mustang and even the Challenger R/T have actually been driven and tested by auto journalists yet the Camaro that was released to the public far earlier still has no concrete data or numbers. I think the Camaro fan boys need to keep this in mind since they may have to wait even longer for the Camaro to come out. When this car does come out, the ADMs will ensure this car will cost more than the "slightly more" than a Mustang GT cost. Concerning the new tech coming out, unlike Ford... GM is expected to cancel more and more future programs like the future Corvette, the G8 and others....including engine tech. I feel the Camaro's already impressive 422hp motor will be all it sees for a long time. As far as better MPGs go I agree it will get better MPGs in 10' but keep in mind that Ford's 3.5 and 5.0 will also offer better MPGs along with more competitive HP and 6 speeds like GM. I'm guessing that it will equal or exceed MPG numbers and fall a little short in HP numbers.

2. I personally don't agree with how some comments got off track to bashing GM and import brands for that matter. GM, like Ford has upped it's overall quality by huge strides and should be given credit for that. To bash on a GM from 10 years ago is about the same as a Ford from the same time period. It is unfair to claim that Ford had been much better than GM or that it is now. I think both the new Malibu and Fusion are awesome cars and way better than the car they replaced.

3. I am a huge Mustang fan but I am not too happy about the 10' Mustang. Perhaps the looks will grow on me but I feel it looks too similar to the previous model and the few major changes they did make I don't like (the whole rear of the car). I do feel that they did a great job improving the interior though. Ford knew as early as 06' and should have known in the back of their minds that competition was coming, yet what they gave us is something that is not up to par with the new competition. I feel there is no excuse why Ford did not put in an IRS, 6 speed and the new engine for the 10' model year! The 10' Mustang will get bashed in every magazine comparison and should. The Mustang GT is going to be the slowest V8 pony car of the 10' model year I can't hope for 11' to come soon enough. I must admit though awesome job on the GT500.

so in conclusion I sadly must agree that the Camaro is going to be the better overall car for the 10' model year. I thought Ford's saving grace was going to be that the Mustang was going to be much cheaper, but it isn't. I say shame on Ford for giving us another year of the crappy base model V6... They give the Fusion a refresh after just 4 years while the Mustang waits an extra year. The 10 Fusion offers both 6 speed MT/AT and the new 3.5 yet the "new" Mustang gets carry over engines. This just proves that Ford did not give it's best effort for the 10' Mustang like it did for 05'.

I guess with the crappy economy I should wait for Ford's real answer to the Camaro, the next new gen Mustang. I guess it isn't fair to compare a recently reworked 6 year old platform to one that is brand new. I'm crossing my fingers that Ford can give us an IRS and more power over the years.

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 1/8/09 at 12:12 PM.
Old 1/8/09, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think people are counting Chevrolet's chickens before they hatch! The car really doesn't exist yet! And if they ever do get it to production, the bean-counters will ruin it anyway. They waited too long, wasted money on other non-essentials and now a delapidated economy along with suppliers going belly up and a total lack of funds make it's Camaro's future bleak. Even with the govt. bailout, it's possible the new "car czar" may have a say as to what money will be spent where because it's government money. The Camaro could get scrapped for its "limited market" in lieu of better more profitable platforms. When the government takes control like this it is essentially a case of the blind leading the blind , so to speak. Their spending habits are notorious too!
Old 1/8/09, 04:18 PM
Cobra R Member

I think people are counting Chevrolet's chickens before they hatch! The car really doesn't exist yet! And if they ever do get it to production, the bean-counters will ruin it anyway. They waited too long, wasted money on other non-essentials and now a delapidated economy along with suppliers going belly up and a total lack of funds make it's Camaro's future bleak. Even with the govt. bailout, it's possible the new "car czar" may have a say as to what money will be spent where because it's government money. The Camaro could get scrapped for its "limited market" in lieu of better more profitable platforms. When the government takes control like this it is essentially a case of the blind leading the blind , so to speak. Their spending habits are notorious too!
I can agree with most of what you are saying but there will be a Camaro produced. I think GM is at the point of no return the car has been fully developed. The issues with suppliers and the government may postpone and limit the numbers of the Camaro but this car will still see the light of day.

My main argument with the Camaro fan boys is that they are talking about future plans to a car that has not even seen production. I think all those plans are being put on hold of canceled all together. Though I am an enthusiast and don't care about Ford or GM's bottom line when I buy a car I think GM's cost for the Camaro is way more than that of the Mustang. In the end I think the Mustang will have more wiggle room for future development, the Camaro's saving grace at this point is that it gets engine tech from the Corvette and it is a little more advanced with global RWD platforms than Ford for the time being.
Old 1/8/09, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by WILHELM
So have they said from there inside resources that we will be getting a 5.0? and that it will be a 4V engine with 400HP?
According to the 2 sources that I posted earlier, Yes. And Btw: you can also check with Boomer as well. As he's also familiar with fourcam330@svtperformance.com and ivan@blueovalnews.com

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/8/09 at 05:00 PM.
Old 1/8/09, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I personally don't agree with how some comments got off track to bashing GM and import brands for that matter. GM, like Ford has upped it's overall quality by huge strides and should be given credit for that. To bash on a GM from 10 years ago is about the same as a Ford from the same time period. It is unfair to claim that Ford had been much better than GM or that it is now. I think both the new Malibu and Fusion are awesome cars and way better than the car they replaced.
Phil, I highly recommend that you read some of the previous posts, in which a GM fanatic was responsible for provoking this entire bash fest to take place, to begin with. And not only did this individual continuously bash the Mustang, but he also insulted several members of our website including yours truly with his disrespectful remarks. In addition, he was also given a warning and an infraction by one the moderators for his failure to conduct himself in a respectful and courteous manner.

With that said, consider the source.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/8/09 at 06:39 PM.
Old 1/8/09, 05:47 PM

It's not only your subconscience that helped you make that choice , it was your conscience choice too, 'cause when you saw a car broke down along the highway, as you drove by 9 times out of 10, it's a GM product with its hood up! My father was a Ford man too and he told me more than once that "if you want to make a living working on cars, go to work for a GM dealership, you certainly won't starve!" That advice served me well for 36 years! Worked for a Buick dealer for almost 4 years and for Chevy for 32 years.... another reason to buy Fords! Working for Chevy during the late 70's-early 80's was interesting! When a chevy came in for an oil change, if it was a V8, it needed an oil change, cam and lifters!
OMG Rich, after reading this post. I nearly fell off my chair, as I couldn't stop from so hard. And now that I think back, most of the cars I've seen broken down on the highway, were indeed a GM product with it's hood up. As a matter of fact, from now on. If whenever I happen to be having a really bad day, all I'll need to do is read over your post, and I'll be rolling on the floor in no time.

I'm also going save a copy of your post, in my documents folder as well.

Quick Reply: 2010 mustang vs camaro