Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Track Related Mods

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/16, 09:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Nice driving to both of you!
Yes, good tires are key! It can be fun to slide the car a bit but not when you're trying to put the power down for good lap times. Thanks for the videos.
Old 9/12/16, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Thanks redonblack!

The best part of that ZL1 session was the fact the lady driving the white Cmaro found me after, shook my hand, and said "thank you! Best lap of the day was following you!" that was kinda cool of her!

Also, I made myself a leach of the a$$ of an M3 that wouldn't let me by.

I already posted it in the main forum and don't want to re-post the same video, but I was proud of this session

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-up-m3-542569/
The following users liked this post:
SGwick (9/13/16)
Old 9/13/16, 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Good stuff guys. Big Mustang Roundup starting Friday in Hastings, NE. I'll post some eye candy and hopefully videos. Should be several GT350's there. I had the Laguna Seca out for 4 sessions about a week and a half ago (different track) on street tires (Pirelli Pzero Summer like GT track pack) and I was able the match the best time my GT had on Conti slicks. Should be better this week on Pirelli slicks at the Roundup. I know most of you don't live in this area but if you ever get a chance it's a great event that happens every year about this time.

http://www.racemph.com/events/mustang-roundup/

Yes, I promote this event every chance I get, it's that good IMHO. One of the guys who started it was the Product Planning Manager for the Boss 302 program. His signature is on my strut tower brace.

Old 9/13/16, 10:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
Nice engine bay!

What are those black plastic things in between the valve covers and intake manifold? Heat retainers?
Old 9/13/16, 11:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
Was Carly there for Track Night on Friday by any chance; Red Audi? She looks familiar . . .

How about that rough pavement at the Apex on turn 5? That had me sliding too, until I got spooked and just slowed down for that corner. I wonder if it would be faster if you took it wider to avoid that "50% pavement" on the inside?

I thought we were runnig pretty much the same line, but you are a lot tighter on 4 than me, I take it a lot wider at the entry then late apex to be on the right to set up for 5. Anyway, nice laps . . . I have yet to break 2:00

Most importantly -- did the canards stay on?

Also BTW, Harry's makes a nice video . . . Does the app come with the software to produce the final video on your PC; or do you need a different program for that? I am still using Track Addict and haven't sprung for the ODBII reader yet.
I don't think she was... she came down with her brother who was driving at this event. But I could be wrong, gotta email her the link later and will ask

I was trying out some different lines through 4 and 5, since nothing was fast.

Canards stayed on just fine! The lower grill insert on the drivers side popped out though, which then blasted the wheel well lining wtih 135mph air, which pushed that into the wheel, which carved a nice big new hole in it... but I got the insert back at least. Must not have been fully attached unfortuantely. One more thing to work on...

Yes, Harry's does a great job at doing the overlays. It's all within the app. I highly recommend adding on the GoPoint BT1 OBDII interface so you can get all the car data plus far more accurate speeds (5 Hz OBDII vs 1 Hz GPS)
Old 9/13/16, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
Also BTW, Harry's makes a nice video . . . Does the app come with the software to produce the final video on your PC; or do you need a different program for that? I am still using Track Addict and haven't sprung for the ODBII reader yet.
If you download Race Render to use with Track Addict you can get track overlays as well as speed and such (GPS speed). That's what I've used in the past. Race Render is free if you are good with just doing 2 minute videos otherwise you need to buy the software ($40 I think) to do whole sessions.

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Canards stayed on just fine! The lower grill insert on the drivers side popped out though, which then blasted the wheel well lining wtih 135mph air, which pushed that into the wheel, which carved a nice big new hole in it... but I got the insert back at least. Must not have been fully attached unfortuantely. One more thing to work on...

Yes, Harry's does a great job at doing the overlays. It's all within the app. I highly recommend adding on the GoPoint BT1 OBDII interface so you can get all the car data plus far more accurate speeds (5 Hz OBDII vs 1 Hz GPS)
You can also buy BT GPS add-ons for Track Addict to get better speed that way. I figured my OBD II speed won't be accurate because I have different tires sizes for the track. So for now, neither way will be accurate for me. I will probably give Harry's a try some day as well though. Some track buddies of mine are using it.

Is there a thread on the Canards?
Old 9/13/16, 01:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by redonblackpony
Nice driving to both of you!
Yes, good tires are key! It can be fun to slide the car a bit but not when you're trying to put the power down for good lap times. Thanks for the videos.
Yup, it's fun to play around a bit and get some practice in car control, but I'd rather stick and go faster. I'll have the R1's on for the next time and I expect I'll have some Hoosier R7's finally to play with too!!
Old 9/13/16, 01:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mustang5o

Is there a thread on the Canards?
I think so, but i might have just built it into my "aero time" thread. I can post up more info on the canards. I need to make version 2.0 soon
Old 9/13/16, 07:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mustang5o
Good stuff guys. Big Mustang Roundup starting Friday in Hastings, NE. I'll post some eye candy and hopefully videos. Should be several GT350's there. I had the Laguna Seca out for 4 sessions about a week and a half ago (different track) on street tires (Pirelli Pzero Summer like GT track pack) and I was able the match the best time my GT had on Conti slicks. Should be better this week on Pirelli slicks at the Roundup. I know most of you don't live in this area but if you ever get a chance it's a great event that happens every year about this time.

http://www.racemph.com/events/mustang-roundup/

Yes, I promote this event every chance I get, it's that good IMHO. One of the guys who started it was the Product Planning Manager for the Boss 302 program. His signature is on my strut tower brace.
That sounds really cool!

And your engine makes me
Old 9/13/16, 07:42 PM
Banned

Here is one more video from yesterday. I passed the black Z06 earlier in the session, and later he got by me. Then I did my best to keep up.

I was able to use someone's IR scanner, and found my front rotors to be at 410F after a cool down lap, and rears to be 450F

And now I have 1mm of lining left in the rear and my tires look like this.
Attached Thumbnails Track Related Mods-img_1045.jpg  
Old 9/14/16, 05:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
. .
I was able to use someone's IR scanner, and found my front rotors to be at 410F after a cool down lap, and rears to be 450F

And now I have 1mm of lining left in the rear and my tires look like this.
Time to upsize the rear rotors, and get some (better) new tires!
Old 9/14/16, 06:06 AM
Banned

I'll wait on the rear rotors. Should have gone with the GT500s last spring, but I just got normal rotors instead. We'll see how they hold up, but next time I'll upsize for sure.

I' thinking Bridgestone Potenza RE71r next time. I just have to decide if I want to go 275/35-19 or 285/35-19
Old 9/14/16, 07:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I did some testing of the wing at two different angles of attack (AOA). First was 5 degree AOA, which is what I ran this past week at Palmer. I then adjusted to AOA of 12 degrees, whcih is probably about as high as I can go before getting significant separation (which needs to be tested still with some flow visualization).

Anyways, resulting data is plotted up to around 100 mph and interpolated beyond that based on a 3rd degree curve. I'm glad I'm getting some decent downforce, but I want significantly more, so the next version of the wing will be wider (probably 70-72" width) and with a longer chord length (13" vs 11" at present) which will increase total surface area and also get a significant portion of the wing into the free stream, away from the car centerline.

Anyways, some data for those interested

Last edited by dmichaels; 9/14/16 at 08:42 AM.
Old 9/14/16, 07:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'll wait on the rear rotors. Should have gone with the GT500s last spring, but I just got normal rotors instead. We'll see how they hold up, but next time I'll upsize for sure.

I' thinking Bridgestone Potenza RE71r next time. I just have to decide if I want to go 275/35-19 or 285/35-19
I like my GT500 rotors! I recommend them. the adapter plates have held up great too!

Go with some BFG R1's. They are awesome. You will go faster
Old 9/14/16, 08:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dmichaels
I did some testing of the wing at two different angles of attack (AOA). First was 5 degree AOA, which is what I ran this past week at Palmer. I then adjusted to AOA of 12 degrees, whcih is probably about as high as I can go before getting significant separation (which needs to be tested still with some flow visualization).

Anyways, resulting data is plotted up to around 100 mph and interpolated beyond that based on a 3rd degree curve. I'm glad I'm getting some decent downforce, but I want significantly more, so the next version of the wing will be wider (probably 70-72" width) and with a longer chord length (13" vs 11" at present) which will increase total surface area and also get a significant portion of the wing into the free stream, away from the car centerline.

Anyways, some data for those interested

How do I read this? Speed on the X axis in MPH with downforce on the right in what units?

How did you measure downforce? Were you measuring wheel gap and calculating based on spring rate?

Also are red squares the 12 deg data points?
Old 9/14/16, 08:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I could improve my chart I suppose... it's obvious when to me, since I made it... haha whoops!

Try this one!

And the measurement technique: in the trunk, I put a scale in the spare wheel well. On top of that, I put a cylinder piece up to a high density foam block that touches off on the inside trunk lid and props the trunk open slightly, about 3/4" statically. On the underside of the trunk, I attached my iphone aimed at the analog scale and proceeded to drive. As speeds increased, the force from the wing is transferred down through the cylinder to the scale and the trunk bottom and the phone records live. The trunk compresses down as speed builds, so I get to a point with this setup where the trunk seals start to contact and take up load, so I can only measure force up to around 120 lbs from my experimenting. Hence the interpolation (plus I try to keep speeds down on public roads!!)

Old 9/14/16, 08:52 AM
Banned

Nice! The only problem with this method is that once the trunk is fully closed, downforce readings hit the upper rail. Plus what you mentioned about the seals taking the load.

But very clever way of measuring at least for the lower speeds!
Old 9/14/16, 08:55 AM
Banned

BFG R1s don't come in 19s. ANd I don't need 3 sets of wheels

P.S. Are you planning on upgrading you dampers? You really need to go the adjustable route. Fixed dampers just don't cut it as I found out on Monday. It really makes a night and day difference in composure, balance and transitional handling properties.
Old 9/14/16, 11:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Nice! The only problem with this method is that once the trunk is fully closed, downforce readings hit the upper rail. Plus what you mentioned about the seals taking the load.

But very clever way of measuring at least for the lower speeds!
Yes, I'm limited in absolute data, but this is for reference only as force is also put through the hinges, so this force data is going to be used as relative data as I go forward making changes. I have a friend with one of the APR GT wings, which has CFD data (free stream data, not installed) that we are going to do my same data acquisition on so we can plot and compare against CFD data and compare apples to apples against my wing.
Old 9/14/16, 11:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

BFG R1s don't come in 19s. ANd I don't need 3 sets of wheels

P.S. Are you planning on upgrading you dampers? You really need to go the adjustable route. Fixed dampers just don't cut it as I found out on Monday. It really makes a night and day difference in composure, balance and transitional handling properties.
Hoosiers come in 19's!!

Yes adjustable dampers and higher spring rate springs with camber plates this winter. And accusump

Quick Reply: Track Related Mods