Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Mods

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/16, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by redonblackpony
Practice practice practice! Repeat It's getting to be second nature for me after hours of practice at the track and Street
do you use you top right part of right foot or use right bottom ankle to blip throttle? I can't seem to get a good position
Old 5/2/16, 07:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
I blip the throttle with the bottom right part of my ankle. Having the right shoe helps quite a bit.
I use regular athletic shoes, but should be changing soon to racing shoes. Years ago I would see so many guys wearing racing shoes for HPDE events and think what a bunch of posers! Now I get it! Soon enough I'll be one of those guys wearing bright red shoes. Heh heh!
Old 5/2/16, 07:28 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Practice practice practice!
Repeat
It's getting to be second nature for me after hours of practice at the track and Street
And that's a platinum fact. Practice makes perfect!

Originally Posted by SGwick
do you use you top right part of right foot or use right bottom ankle to blip throttle? I can't seem to get a good position
Curious what others say here too. I use the center outside of my right foot. I place my right foot off center towards the right of the brake pedal (the toes part), and swing the heal towards the gas.This gives me confidence in bake modulation while allowing bliping of the throttle.

You could practice foot position while the car isn't moving, it helped me figure out the logistics of foot placement.
Old 5/2/16, 07:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,058 Posts
I blip the throttle with the bottom right part of my ankle. . . .
Wow, really? I can't figure out how that would work.

The best way I have found, and I am still learning, is:

Put the left third of the ball of your foot (the widest part of your foot) on the brake . . . as you press hard on the brake, the right third of your foot will be over the throttle pedal. Depending on how hard you press down the brake and the relationship of the pedals, you might have to twist your foot a bit to the "left" (raise the right part that is over the gas pedal) to keep from pressing the gas.

When it's time for the blip, twist your foot to the "right" so the right third presses on the gas pedal.

This does take fairly wide shoes to make it work; so your foot can span the two pedals. I wear a EE size 12 hiking/running shoe and it works OK.

I find it is hard to do on the street, because you usually are not braking hard enough and that high reving blip is a bit scary to the other cars around. (my exhaust is fairly loud)

Last edited by Bert; 5/2/16 at 07:33 PM.
Old 5/2/16, 07:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

For me to get good placement I find myself more in a open wheel setup (legs out body less upright) but then I'm far from the wheel (it also doesn't extend) :-(

I'll keep at it because it was really evident that not doing heel/toe was holding me back from really getting at it at RA.

I was clutching & braking in the corners while downshifting but slowly releasing the cutch then applying throttle. I resulted in me frequently getting on the gas long after or at apex costing me time (could see cars pull away on corner exit). I was catching them in racing line and power on the straights
Old 5/2/16, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Bert, good point about the relative pedal position. I have noticed as well that when I'm deep on the brake pedal the part of my foot that does the blip is lower outside.
Old 5/2/16, 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Basically I was working in the low rpm range after downshifting (in the corners) verses working in the high rpm range and powering out corner exit with no delay
Old 5/3/16, 07:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I'll chime in. I brake with the inside edge of my foot below my big toe and blip with the outer edge by my little toe. I've tried using my heel in the past, but I'm not smooth that way. Rolling my ankle over has always worked much better for me despite what car I'm in
The following users liked this post:
SGwick (5/3/16)
Old 5/3/16, 09:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
I'll chime in. I brake with the inside edge of my foot below my big toe and blip with the outer edge by my little toe. I've tried using my heel in the past, but I'm not smooth that way. Rolling my ankle over has always worked much better for me despite what car I'm in
Ditto, I can't seem to get the hang of it that way. I way to roll my foot over though a smidge though. I may try and find those whatever they are called pedals where they are a bit wider this way I can try and do it that way. I have tried it a few times and I just don't have the correct amount of pressure to accurately blip the throttle.
Old 5/4/16, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Without modding to make it larger what brake cooling kit to you guys recommend (I have the boss lower valance)?
Old 5/5/16, 05:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I would just grab the FRPP 3" cooling kit if that is what you already have the Boss valance. That should be pretty good at keeping things cool since I doubt you run flat out on the course.
The following users liked this post:
SGwick (5/5/16)
Old 5/5/16, 06:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,058 Posts
My plan is also to get the Boss valance and use the FRPP kit. I feel like the 3" hoses will be plenty for the forseeable future; until I am using track tires which might never happen.

The FRPP kit comes with everything you need and the price seems reasonable; with the other kits it seems like there is always something missing that you have to source elsewhere or fabricate.

I have been told that the 3" ducts are a bit big for a street car, hard to route with things like the washer fluid bottle and inner fender liners in the way . . . but I guess it can be done.

Cervini's sells a knock-off Boss valance with the splitter built in for an attractive price . . . but I'm wondering if I will want a bigger splitter like redonblack installed recently . . . thoughts?
Old 5/5/16, 12:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I use the Ford racing 3 inch ducts. The install is pretty easy. I had no problems running the passenger side by the washer reservoir. I've had the front bumper cover off at least a half dozen times and it gets easier each time. You do have to cut some of the fender well plastic. Makes it a lot easier and gives you the wheel clearance necessary with larger front tires.
If you track your car often you want this mod. It prolongs brake pad life, rotor life and keeps the brake pedal firm.
Old 5/6/16, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thx, ended up buying from AM blowfish brake cooling kit
Old 5/7/16, 09:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hood pins (not decoration but functional type), thoughts?

Last edited by SGwick; 5/7/16 at 09:18 PM.
Old 5/7/16, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Flush mount type.
Old 5/8/16, 06:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Aerocatch without a doubt
Old 5/8/16, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Recommend install yourself or shop?
Old 5/8/16, 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

You can definitely do it yourself. Will this be with your stock aluminum hood or an aftermarket expensive hood? If you have any doubts about cutting a hole in your hood I would have a shop do it.
Old 5/8/16, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

You can definitely do it yourself. Will this be with your stock aluminum hood or an aftermarket expensive hood? If you have any doubts about cutting a hole in your hood I would have a shop do it.
stock hood, thinking of locking aero catch model. Just hung up on cutting hood :-)

Quick Reply: Mods