Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Car Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/06, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may sound strange but Im trying to find a cover that I can use while my Bullit is in the garage. It sits most of the week in my garage and collects dust unitl the weekend!

I live in the desert and its hard to keep it clean even in the garage! So figured I would get a cover to help keep the fine dust off. But what I am worried about is the antenna.

It doesnt look like you can remove it and the car covers I have seen dont have holes/openings to slide over an antenna.

Is there a trick to removing it? Or does anyone know of a place that sells a cover for the Bullit?

Thanks much!

mk~
Old 1/5/06, 06:12 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forum. You should be able to remove the antenna by just using a wrench. Just look at the base of the antenna. You should see where a wrench gets placed in order to remove it. Anyway, I believe all car covers come with a few patches for antenna use and here is how it works.

You remove the antenna. Place the cover over the car and install it properly. Now find where the antenna is located. Mark the spot where the hole is that the antenna goes into. Remove the cover. Cut a 1/2" hole where you marked the antenna. Place a patch on the inside and use an iron on low heat to adhere it to the cover. Place the other patch on the top and iron it in place. Reinstall the antenna. Now you can install and remove the cover whenver you want.
Old 1/5/06, 07:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

I agree with adrenalin. You can use a car cover where you remove the antenna or you can cut a hole in the cover and install it around the antenna. I have used covers both ways and I prefer putting it over the antenna.

If you get a cover from CoverCraft (www.covercraft.com) they can send you a free plastic antenna grommet which keeps the cover from ripping around the antenna hole. Using a grommet around the antenna also keeps the cover from slipping off the car if any wind comes up. If you are interested in a light weight general purpose cover, check out their sale items at: http://www.carcoversplus.com/cover_sale.htm

I have used several of their light weight covers as occasional use covers at car shows, etc. and they work very well. Good luck.
Old 1/5/06, 11:16 PM

Thanks very much! I always thought they could be removed just by loosening with your hand (at least my old honda was like that). But when it didnt come off after giving it some mighty twists I thought it best that I not work it too hard and bust it off! :shock:

I'll give the wrench a whirl. Thanks for the tips!!
Old 1/6/06, 06:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I keep my Mach 1 garaged like you and am real happy with the Covercraft "Dustop" cover. It does what it says....no dust on my car after removing the cover, might want to look at that one.
Old 1/6/06, 12:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also use a cover. The last one that I purchased from Costco was $29.99, and came with the antenna patch, a storage bag, and a security cable with padlock. The cover is made of high quality material. These covers used to cost over $100, then they were $59, then they were $48, $37, and now $30. Always the same material (from the USA) and always sewn in China. I find it sorta scary how the price just keeps falling like that, at least as far as the future of manufacturing in the USA is concerned. Pretty tough to compete with stuff like that. Have you ever seen the Jib-Jab Big-Box-Mart video?
http://www.jibjab.com/
Sorry, but car covers get me so excited, that I think I'm getting off topic here.
OK, so really all I need now is a life, right?
Old 2/10/06, 07:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I just loosened the antenna to remove it the first time. Then I just put it back finger tight and remove it every time I cover it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/10/06, 07:23 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Don't forget another option in car covers is the TheMustangSource.com/Clevparts.com car cover available through 05stangkc here on the forum. Kevin has them for all SN95 and S197 cars.

For some pics of it on Project Source Horse, https://themustangsource.com/tungsten/photos/2005-1221/

Also I just received one for my 96 cobra and I love it. As soon as its a pretty day and I am at home i'll get somepics.