Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Glass Roof Sliding Cover

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/15, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glass Roof Sliding Cover

Hello Deysha,

I'm 5 days out from my 3 year warranty (July 20th) and the sliding cover for my glass roof is having problems. The dealership took pics, said they would check for warranty and get back with me. Can I PM you the details and see if you can help?

I first noticed the sliding cover getting caught on the passenger side when I would try to retract it a few weeks ago. A few days ago, it had some nylon cord/string that seems to follow the track on the driver's side being pushed out when it closes and hanging down (See pictures). It appears to loop through something in the corner (did until dealership visit this morning) and is not attached to anything on the passenger's side. The passenger's side of the cover still catches and has to be worked back when trying to open.

This nylon cord has been hanging out of the track and appeared to loop through something in the corner before following the windshield.

Tied into/runs through something in this corner.

The right hand side is the end attached to nothing and would dangle if not tucked.
Old 7/15/15, 09:24 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TrueBlue302
Hello Deysha,

I'm 5 days out from my 3 year warranty (July 20th) and the sliding cover for my glass roof is having problems. The dealership took pics, said they would check for warranty and get back with me. Can I PM you the details and see if you can help?

I first noticed the sliding cover getting caught on the passenger side when I would try to retract it a few weeks ago. A few days ago, it had some nylon cord/string that seems to follow the track on the driver's side being pushed out when it closes and hanging down (See pictures). It appears to loop through something in the corner (did until dealership visit this morning) and is not attached to anything on the passenger's side. The passenger's side of the cover still catches and has to be worked back when trying to open.

This nylon cord has been hanging out of the track and appeared to loop through something in the corner before following the windshield.

The right hand side is the end attached to nothing and would dangle if not tucked.
You should definitely bring it in to your Ford Dealer and speak to your service manager about this, TrueBLue302. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

Also, remember most paid repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. You can schedule an appointment online here. Let me know what they say.

Deysha
Old 7/15/15, 10:14 AM
GT Member

Hello Deysha,

I had the same issue a while back and had to have my sunshade replaced. I recommend while your car is still under warranty to have the dealer order the sunshade. If you wait the part is over $700.00 and the labor takes a few hours and also a few hundred dollars. Not cheap!
Old 7/22/15, 09:57 AM

Thank you for forwarding my info Deysha! Thankfully it was repaired under warranty earlier this week.

Originally Posted by Mustang-4.6
I had the same issue a while back and had to have my sunshade replaced. I recommend while your car is still under warranty to have the dealer order the sunshade. If you wait the part is over $700.00 and the labor takes a few hours and also a few hundred dollars. Not cheap!
Thanks for the response Andrew. I believe it was your post I found on here a few weeks ago when it first started bunching up. I meant to take it in to have it looked at then but I got busy and almost forgot about it (park in a garage at work and home so don't use it much). I just got lucky to see the cord hanging when I did and not 2 weeks later. The thing that worries me is I didn't use it much and certainly wasn't rough with it as I'd read about issues while researching the car before I ordered. Hopefully this one lasts much longer.
Old 7/22/15, 10:27 AM
GT Member

Thank you for forwarding my info Deysha! Thankfully it was repaired under warranty earlier this week.

Thanks for the response Andrew. I believe it was your post I found on here a few weeks ago when it first started bunching up. I meant to take it in to have it looked at then but I got busy and almost forgot about it (park in a garage at work and home so don't use it much). I just got lucky to see the cord hanging when I did and not 2 weeks later. The thing that worries me is I didn't use it much and certainly wasn't rough with it as I'd read about issues while researching the car before I ordered. Hopefully this one lasts much longer.
No problem TrueBlue302, I saw that picture of the thread hanging down and knew right away that your sunshade would have to be replaced and under warranty is the best way to have it replaced. I was the same way with not using the shade much. I read on a forum a while back that said that the track that the sunshade slides on dries up after a while and that might contribute to the shade coming off the track and tearing. One thing is for sure though it is expensive to fix out of pocket. Glad to hear that Ford took care of you on your repair.

Andrew
Old 7/23/15, 06:13 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thank you for forwarding my info Deysha! Thankfully it was repaired under warranty earlier this week. ...
That's great! You're very welcome, TrueBlue302!

Deysha