Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Car Cover & New Armor All Wax

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/12, 08:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car Cover & New Armor All Wax

Hey guys & gals,

I currently have the privilege of a covered garage at work which keeps my ride out of the elements - luckily, she only sees the sun on weekends for the most part - no trees - a real good thing here.

My situation is: I am considering an offer from another employer which would leave her in the sun and relatively close to trees. I was wondering if it would behoove me to invest in a cover I could throw over her daily, and if its a good idea, which brand would be ideal. I would cover her while at work and take it off once I'm home. Something durable that will be moved off/on daily.

Also, I saw a commercial for Armor All wax which allegedly keeps the dirt off, but you know how hype is. Anyone use or consider this stuff?

Thanks,

-B
Old 4/13/12, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No experience with the Armor All but as far as the cover goes you have to weigh the tree sap/bird droppings against the cover possibly introducing scratches/swirls...the adage anything that touches your paint can cause scratches/swirls...if it were me, no cover, but I would keep a small detailing kit in my car so that I could remove bird droppings or tree sap as quickly as possible...IMHO
Old 4/13/12, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

My commute would be less than five minutes from my house - I could address it as soon as I got home.

One vote no cover.

Last edited by Kinyodas; 4/13/12 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling.
Old 4/13/12, 12:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Still sits in the southern sun all day, though.
Old 4/13/12, 01:01 PM

That's why you need to use quality protectant products...read around on some of the mustang forums, AutoGeek, Autopia, etc...a lot of Mustang guys like Chemical Brothers, Meguiars, Poor Boys, to mention a few.
Old 4/13/12, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm between waxes right now. Meguiars doesn't seem to last, Mothers is a little better. my ol' man *swears* Turtle wax lasts for three months. Protection or not, every second in the sun is another second of wear on the paint.
Old 4/18/12, 11:42 AM

Maybe try Chemical Guys Black Light (2 coats) followed the next day (for curing) 2 coats of Chemical Guys Lava.
Old 4/18/12, 07:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Best thing you can do, IMHO, is step up from the "over the counter" waxes that you can by at your local walmart/autozone (meguiars, mothers, turtle, etc) and invest in some high quality paint protection. Take a look at autogeek if you haven't already. It's the best detailing forum out there, and probably the best online store for detail supplies, all in one.

I'd vote good paint protection and no cover.

I have three poorboys products on the way right now (glaze, sealant, carnauba wax) and I'll do a full write up on them and take lots of pictures once I do a full detail.

Edit: also, for what it's worth, I work in the car business, and everybody I know that I work with absolutely swears against armor all. They all say it over time ruins rubber, and causes fading of plastic and what not. I don't know anything about the new wax, and I think they're talking more about the traditional armor all protectant stuff, but I figured I'd throw that out there.

Last edited by Kevin509; 4/18/12 at 07:57 PM.
Old 4/18/12, 08:59 PM
Bullitt Member

I been using my cover for about two weeks now and I love it.. Keeps the dust and animals off of the paint.. Well worth the money for one
Old 4/20/12, 04:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Carnauba waxes, while producing a great shine, tend to only last a few weeks. Sealants, on the other hand, last several months. I use Poorboy's World products on mine, & all my customer's cars. I apply sealant, & then a coat of wax every month or so to keep the shine fresh.
I think Kevin509 has it right when it comes to Armor All. In my opinion, it's like Turtle Wax. Pretty much entry-level at best. Mothers/Meguiers are probably the best over-the-counter stuff. But there's higher-end products available on places like Autogeek.net (Poorboy's, Adams, Wolfgang, Pinnacle, Blackfire etc..) that are just better.
Old 4/25/12, 07:54 PM

Is there anything out there that will give the same results as Armour All without the fading etc.?
Old 4/26/12, 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sboehn
Is there anything out there that will give the same results as Armour All without the fading etc.?
I really like mequiars 'supreme shine' protectant for an all purpose dressing. It lasts a long time and drys right away so it doesn't leave that greasy feeling or attract dirt and dust. There's probably better 'professional' products out there but I've had good experiences with it.
Old 5/15/12, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin509

I really like mequiars 'supreme shine' protectant for an all purpose dressing. It lasts a long time and drys right away so it doesn't leave that greasy feeling or attract dirt and dust. There's probably better 'professional' products out there but I've had good experiences with it.
Tried it and it woks like a charm - Thanks. Getting a bit worried using the Armor All protectant.
Old 5/19/12, 04:36 PM
FR500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone try armor alls new liquid wax with that "SHIELD" tech? Im tempted to try it out but sittin on the fence
Old 5/19/12, 06:15 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
for my money, I'll never use armor all products. I've never seen them live up to their claim, I've heard some rough stories about restoring parts after they've been treated to a lifetime of AA products, and there's so much better on the market to buy.

Meguiars FTW!
Old 5/19/12, 10:19 PM
FR500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
for my money, I'll never use armor all products. I've never seen them live up to their claim, I've heard some rough stories about restoring parts after they've been treated to a lifetime of AA products, and there's so much better on the market to buy.

Meguiars FTW!
+1
However, i have used a few armor all products (no interior though) and had some good results. I went out and picked up some of their new wax and used it as a base coat under some collinite. But it left the surface pretty slick with a real nice shine to it. Great water beading too! Wont be able to say much for durability though. I just like to branch out and try new things here and there