Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

The 'ask any detailing question' thread

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/14, 05:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know if this is the right place to ask but has anyone else seen these kind of streaks from Meguiars quik wax?

It will not go on without swish marks

Don't know if my pic will upload either. :-(
Attached Thumbnails The 'ask any detailing question' thread-image-3539865447.jpg  
Old 8/4/14, 06:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by pminri
Don't know if this is the right place to ask but has anyone else seen these kind of streaks from Meguiars quik wax? It will not go on without swish marks Don't know if my pic will upload either. :-(
You just have to wipe it down with a dry mf towel.
Old 8/4/14, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by typesredline

You just have to wipe it down with a dry mf towel.
I have tried that many times. I have tried waxing in the morning when it is cool. In the afternoon when warm. Nothing makes any difference. Is it possible I have a old bottle of wax? Is this a popular product.
Old 8/4/14, 07:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I have tried that many times. I have tried waxing in the morning when it is cool. In the afternoon when warm. Nothing makes any difference. Is it possible I have a old bottle of wax? Is this a popular product.
It looks like it's etched into the clearcoat. Did you perhaps leave it on too long the first time you waxed it? You'll need to buff that with a light cutting compound. Then polish, wax and glaze to bring back the shine.
Old 8/4/14, 08:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

It looks like it's etched into the clearcoat. Did you perhaps leave it on too long the first time you waxed it? You'll need to buff that with a light cutting compound. Then polish, wax and glaze to bring back the shine.
No, it goes away after I wash the car or if it rains for a couple days. That quick wax does not last long. If I add more over the stuff that is there it will make a completely different pattern. ( what ever direction I used the MF towel last will leave the marks). Seems to show up most on the hood. None on the roof?? At least that I can see I'm short.
Old 8/4/14, 08:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, it goes away after I wash the car or if it rains for a couple days. That quick wax does not last long. If I add more over the stuff that is there it will make a completely different pattern. ( what ever direction I used the MF towel last will leave the marks). Seems to show up most on the hood. None on the roof?? At least that I can see I'm short.
I would get a good compound like Maguire's ultimate compound. Best to use a dual action polisher but if not, by hand it is. Lol!
Old 8/4/14, 09:35 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like its a bad bottle of wax. Oils and fillers separating from the wax. I think the chemicals just aren't mixing. I have had no good luck with Meg's. Only the Meg's ultimate series products will I ever use again. Just change products and you probably won't have this problem any more. For a quick wax that you don't have to order online, the turtle wax emerald series wax is easy on/off with little effort and great results. Just doesn't last very long. The Meg's ultimate is a good product all around with decent results. But it's still not gonna give you professional results.
Old 8/4/14, 10:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to throw it all away. Try the ultimate or turtle as suggested.
Old 8/4/14, 11:00 AM
Cobra Member

Megs quik wax is designed to use even I direct sun light. It will film up, it just have to be kinda hand buffed out.

Try hitting it with quik detailer. It's less filmy.
Old 8/4/14, 11:02 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to throw it all away. Try the ultimate or turtle as suggested.
I'd go ultimate. But keep in mind it will still film. Just needs to be wiped off though.
Old 8/4/14, 11:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I really like Optimum brand products. Their instant detailer works very well. Never did care for the "instant wax" products, they never look as good as real wax, but still require most of the effort.
Old 8/4/14, 11:06 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I really like Optimum brand products. Their instant detailer works very well. Never did care for the "instant wax" products, they never look as good as real wax, but still require most of the effort.
I only use spray waxes for drying lube. Not to actually wax. Agreed that they look decent but not great.
Old 8/4/14, 12:41 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would try rotating the mf towel more often. I noticed that happened to me because i wasnt flipoing to a clean side enough. Its like buffing with a lil bit of the wax still on the cloth which leaves some slight haze marks like that
Old 8/4/14, 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
I would try rotating the mf towel more often. I noticed that happened to me because i wasnt flipoing to a clean side enough. Its like buffing with a lil bit of the wax still on the cloth which leaves some slight haze marks like that
I think I may need some new ones. Thx for the tip.
Old 8/6/14, 05:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few things to consider...

What is the relative humidity at the time of application? When the humidity is high, it takes longer for the wax to set up.

if you are waxing over a waxed surface, you are just building up layers, if the older layers have streaked, so will the new layer.
Old 8/6/14, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DaGonz
A few things to consider...

What is the relative humidity at the time of application? When the humidity is high, it takes longer for the wax to set up.

if you are waxing over a waxed surface, you are just building up layers, if the older layers have streaked, so will the new layer.
Humidity was high 50's. pretty decent. I don't think wax layers are the issue because this wax only lasts one wash or one rain storm and the water will not "bead up".
Old 8/6/14, 07:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I live on the west coast of Florida and have this issues all the time. As some have stated let the wax dry longer. Here it can take a while since the humility is always really high. I some times pull it in the sun just for a few minutes to dry. If it still happens I use a good compound to get the old wax off. In the end I usually have to use Meg Quick detailer to make it perfect. Good Luck
Old 8/6/14, 08:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
I live on the west coast of Florida and have this issues all the time. As some have stated let the wax dry longer. Here it can take a while since the humility is always really high. I some times pull it in the sun just for a few minutes to dry. If it still happens I use a good compound to get the old wax off. In the end I usually have to use Meg Quick detailer to make it perfect. Good Luck
Ohhh the humility!...
Old 8/6/14, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

Ohhh the humility!...
LMAO. Thanks all for the suggestions. Now let me get this right

Compound
Wax
Then quick wax?

Or can you compound then quick wax?

Also does anyone have a suggestion on a compound? Please remember this car is less than a year old. It's clear coat is still awesome.
Old 8/6/14, 09:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

LMAO. Thanks all for the suggestions. Now let me get this right Compound Wax Then quick wax? Or can you compound then quick wax? Also does anyone have a suggestion on a compound? Please remember this car is less than a year old. It's clear coat is still awesome.
You should compound, polish, wax, spray detail if needed. The wax is typically just a sealant. After you compound, you'll need to polish to bring the deep luster back. As far as my knowledge goes...

Quick Reply: The 'ask any detailing question' thread