Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

05 GT Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 8/6/05, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
:bang: I know this is a really STUPID question... On an '05, is anyone else out there finding it IMPOSSIBLE to get the glass clean??? I have tried windex, invisible glass, ammonia, vinegar, microfiber towels, newspapers, paper towels, etc. NOTHING gets the film off this glass. I'm beginning to think something is wrong with the glass of something. Any other ideas? Thanks for any thoughts
Old 8/7/05, 02:53 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Make sure you aren't using windex when the glass is hot! The windex will dry before you wipe it off leaving tons of streaks.
Old 8/7/05, 03:04 PM

The only thing that I have found that cleans the glass as well as it can be cleaned is Isopropyl Alcohol. Give it a try, lets us know how it works.
Old 8/7/05, 03:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have noticed this too and I've used a few different cleaners. The really wierd thing is it seems more noticeable from outside the car than inside. It looks clean from the drivers seat but, when you stand in front of the car you can see everywhere the towel went.
Old 8/7/05, 05:59 PM

Thanks everyone for your help! I agree with the comment about the Windex, but the glass is cool when I tried to clean it. I thought the alcohol was going to work but it didn't touch it either. Treeadhead is right too. During daylight, it shows up more from the outside. At night, the street lights really cause it to glare bad. It looks like I have never cleaned it. It has to be some film on the glass, because I can move it around as I try to clean. I can't believe glass can be this difficult! Any other thoughts?
Old 8/7/05, 09:45 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by FastH2O@August 7, 2005, 8:02 PM
Thanks everyone for your help! I agree with the comment about the Windex, but the glass is cool when I tried to clean it. I thought the alcohol was going to work but it didn't touch it either. Treeadhead is right too. During daylight, it shows up more from the outside. At night, the street lights really cause it to glare bad. It looks like I have never cleaned it. It has to be some film on the glass, because I can move it around as I try to clean. I can't believe glass can be this difficult! Any other thoughts?
I'd suggest using car soap outside and inside to remove the grease. It will be more effective for large amounts of grease than windex. Just don't get your dash all wet (use a cloth). After you wash it well with car soap, rinse off well. Then try windex or the alcohol.

If you've ever cleaned the outside of your house's windows you'll know that windex is useless because of the amount of grime. I use car soap to get it clean, then windex to finish it off.
Old 8/8/05, 12:22 PM

We have had the same issue, one thing I found was using a good glass cleaner like from Ford and a new terry cloth towel was able to help clean up the streaks and get the glass clean again. We usually clean ours in the garage out of any direct sunlight and use two towels, the second one is to buff the glass. There are still some minor streaks but for the most part of of the prior issues are gone.
Old 8/8/05, 06:41 PM

Hey guys,
This is not a joke, try some tobacco from a cigarette, moist the glass and rub the tobacco. It works.
Old 8/8/05, 10:51 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Sometimes if its really hard to clean, I'll just replace the windshield altogether

Also, what does this have to do with the Scott Hoag forum (though Scott was kind enought to reply)? I'm moving this to car care....
Old 8/9/05, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

For the outside I use Eagle One Wax as U Dry. I spray it on the windshield as I am drying it, then I go over it with a clean microfiber towel. Leaves the windshield nice and clean. Now the inside, I try not to get it dirty but I do use a microfiber towel to wipe all the moisture that seems to build up inside.
Old 8/9/05, 06:32 PM

I appreciate all the help and tried everything so far. Nothing yet has worked. Went to the dealers body shop today and they tried some things. They agreed he had never seen anything like it so far and was going to check with Ford.
Old 8/12/05, 07:54 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Let us know how it turns out.
Old 8/12/05, 12:38 PM
V6 Member

Try something like one of these polishes.

Proper Auto Care

I have the same problem and have been considering a polish maybe.
Old 8/12/05, 10:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just bought some of that Invisible Glass. I haven't tried it yet but, I'll try to remember to post the results when I do.
Old 8/13/05, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Treadhead@August 12, 2005, 10:03 PM
I just bought some of that Invisible Glass. I haven't tried it yet but, I'll try to remember to post the results when I do.
I had the same problem (with streaks) on my new 05 GT. I use the Zaino Brothers Z-12 Glass Cleaner on the outside - it's actually a compound and will remove ANYTHING from the glass. The windshield was crystal clear after that. I didn't use it on the inside because it makes a LOT of dust when you wipe it off and I didn't feel like vacuuming the dash for 8 hours

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mercha...gory_Code=Zaino
Old 8/14/05, 07:24 AM

Dealer didn't know either. I finally tried a polish, inside and out. Plum Crazy by Malco took care of it. Thanks!
Old 8/15/05, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

Use a clean, dry micro fiber towel. It takes some elbow grease but it will work unless you have sticky or gooey junk on your window. If you smoke in your car this will get resin on the windows which is a pain to wash off.

You can buy the towels really cheaply at savon, target or any other store with an automotive section. They are more expensive at car stores but still pretty cheap.
Old 8/16/05, 02:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Stumbled on this one by accident while detailing -

Use detail spray after washing and drying - half of windshield at a time - with a terry cloth or microfiber

be sure to dry QUICKLY after spray application to avoid streaking -

No nite glare and beads awesome in the rain !

Old 1/1/06, 05:25 AM

I had a V6 05 Mustang, and when the light hit the windshield just right, it looked like someone threw something on it, but I could not get it clean, it looked like something was in the glass, I traded it for a GT, and the GT does not have this problem, my V6 was build in Sep 04. So I hope this helps, the other thing I noticed was the blur at the lower part of the windshield, took it to the dealer, they denied it was there...