General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Silly dealer salesmen without knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/05 | 06:35 PM
Cobra R Member

I went to Cowles Ford in Woodbridge VA, where I bought my car. I was there to pick up another radiator cover. I broke mine when I left a tool on my radiator and closed the hood. The hood pins look great though! Anyway, on my way out I pulled up to a V6 vert on outside display. Several sales guys swarmed my car. I could not pull forward or back. While answering several questions a very young sales guy, with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, asked me what year my car was?!!!!! :bang:

He looked stupid when I told him. He quickly defensed with: why would I put aftermarket mufflers on a new car? I'm sure that the other sales guys will all give him a verbal work over for weeks! Being a rookie has its drawbacks.

I learned that the sales guys at this dealership do have to take tests on the various cars that they sell. I guess he was sleeping with the teacher.
Old 4/4/05 | 07:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ha ha, good story! Once when buying a VW I had a nice young gentleman show me the vanity mirrors. I said, "very nice". And proceeded to ask him some pointed questions about the turbocharger and such. Of course, he couldn't answer, but I let him know about all the wonders under the hood! I took him to school on the car!

Needless to say, he slunk off with the knowledge that sometimes your customers are smarter than you think, and under-estimating them really pisses them off
Old 4/4/05 | 07:44 PM
Post *****

i remember looking for a SN95 GT a whle back. i sed "i want a GT and i want it to be a 5spd"
he said "c'mon, you know you're gonna burn out the clutch real wuick anyweay, why not start with an auto?"

what an hiney! then i was like " b/c i need a 5spd to drag race @ sears point n stuff. i like perf"

Him: "sears point? riiiight. you and i both know you're gonna be goin 90 her on El Camino."

i swear if my brother (11) wasnt there i would have cuzzed the crap outta this guy. who does he think he is? good luck making a sale. wait i take it back. i hope he goes broke.
i can understand if a salesman doesnt know as much about a car as i do, but the attitude he gave me pisses me off.

:ranting:
Old 4/4/05 | 07:52 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

you shoulda been like...
Old 4/4/05 | 07:55 PM
Post *****

more like and then :P
Old 4/5/05 | 08:11 AM

i've met a few idiot car salesmen in my life,i sold cars for most of the '90's. but i remember when the '94 first came out in late '93 we got an incredible amount of idiot customers out to look at them. one of my favorites was the guy who got a test drive from one of our most knowledgeable sales guys and once in the car announced that he used to be a hollywood stuntman and proceeded to drive like a fool. we saw him pull out of the lot and proceed down the street at a high rate of speed and flipped a bootleg 180 and speed off. 10 minutes later our sales guy returns in the car without the stuntman. he was telling the guy to slow down but he said if he was going to buy the car he wanted to see what it could do so when they came to a redlight he pulled the key from the ignition and told the stuntman to get out and walk. in the years i sold cars the people who drove/attempted to drive like fools never bought a car, neither did the people who would walk on the lot and loudly yell to us "who wants to sell a car today?"
Old 4/8/05 | 11:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

I had one dealer argue with me that a standard 1999 GT was an official 35th anniversary edition. My wife was laughin and she even started pointing out differences between the 35th and standard. Boy was that guy embarassed!
Old 4/8/05 | 07:54 PM
FR500 Member

man sounds like a bunch of idiots....that 1st one when he asked what year is ur car...oh man that was priceless
Old 4/9/05 | 04:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

HAHA Mark, thats funny.
I only remember around November a salesmen telling me Ford changed official MSRP to 35k, and he would sell it to me for 32k which was way under invoice.

Then, I whipped out the price sheet I had from this site.
We ended going to another dealer to order.
Old 4/13/05 | 11:51 AM
Cobra R Member

ManEHawke

It does not explain how he passed the dealersip test, to sell the car? Maybe he did not pass the Mustang test.