General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Should I be concerned if I buy a 2014 Ford Mustang v6 with under 50,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/22, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I be concerned if I buy a 2014 Ford Mustang v6 with under 50,000 miles?

I have purchased 3 car facts reports and they all have come back with nothing major. Only one accident that cost less than $500 to fix, a title issue on two, and one report labeled the car as a manual transmission were two sites labeled it an automatic. My worry is that why it is that majority of the car mileage for this car is around 60k to 100k and this is under 50k. Could I just be overthinking this? I plan to get the car inspected before buying it as well.

Also, the car facts report I used where AutoCheck, Bumper, and CarFax if that helps.

Old 6/8/22, 12:07 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
I would definitely be concerned.. Yes you need to have the car looked at by a trust worthy shop. And not one the dealer has directed you to. I know mistakes do happen with reporting to the auto info bureaus. I had my smog emission testing done and the car was reported over a 1000 miles higher the actual mileage on the car. But +10k and +50k is huge.

Are you buying from a dealer or direct from a previous owner? If owner, then have them provide service receipts that will help establish the true mileage. Have the Odometer checked to see if it was replaced. There should be a documented repair for that.

It is very likely a 2014 could actually be under 50k miles. My 2014 GT is sitting at under 22k, so possible, but why is it reported higher and why such a variation? Is it reported higher by all three reporting companies? Where is CarFax for miles? I would expect it to be the closest, but AutoCheck is also a well know service.
The following 2 users liked this post by shaneyusa:
m05fastbackGT (6/8/22), NC14GT (3/2/23)
Old 6/8/22, 08:46 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 956 Likes on 583 Posts
I think you are asking if the mileage is too low for that 2014 model year. If that is your question, NO, that mileage is perfectly fine. My car is 7 years older and I just hit 63,000 miles, mostly highway miles. I would be concerned about title issues. It MUST be a clean title IMO or I would never consider the car. Maybe you feel different.
I like that you are taking it to a shop to have it checked out. That is key. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (6/8/22)
Old 6/8/22, 01:40 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,611 Posts
If the 50k mileage is legit, then I wouldn't be concerned.. I would however be concerned if the vehicle has ever been involved in a major collision.. If an insurance claim was never submitted for collision damages? there will be no record reported to CarFax, AutoCheck or Bumper.. That being said, I would strongly recommend following the advice provided above by Shaneyusa, NC07GTCS and myself before purchasing this vehicle..
NC14GT (6/12/22)
Old 6/11/22, 07:51 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
My car is at 4500 miles and it’s a 2014. Yeah yeah I know, I’m gonna be driving it a lot this year but it wasn’t because I was trying to save miles.
NC14GT (6/12/22)
Old 3/2/23, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
If the 50k mileage is legit, then I wouldn't be concerned.. I would however be concerned if the vehicle has ever been involved in a major collision.. If an insurance claim was never submitted for collision damages? there will be no record reported to CarFax, AutoCheck or Bumper and you are satisfied with the results of the vin check https://epicvin.com/vin-decoderThat being said, I would strongly recommend following the advice provided above by Shaneyusa, NC07GTCS and myself before purchasing this vehicle..
Thank you for this point! I also believe that the mileage only doesn't define the condition of the vehicle
Old 3/2/23, 07:54 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 956 Likes on 583 Posts
This thread is so strange re-appearing again since I bought my 2014 just 3 months after I posted a reply. 50,000 miles? Try 8,800 miles before we drove it home. I now have 11,000 miles on it. Where's the Twilight Zone emoji??
Old 3/2/23, 08:54 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
History reports can be helpful but are not 100% reliable. The one item which can be deceiving is accidents since that depends on insurance companies' claims. Any car which has a high value or is in demand can be worth a lot more money in many cases if the damaged is repaired but not reported to the insurance company.

The important categories to me are title details such as a car being affected by a weather incident or having a salvaged title, the amount of previous owners, the locations where the cars have been registered at, and the most telling, the maintenance records which can indicate whether the car's owner(s) followed the manufacturer's suggested scheduled maintenance.

I've burned not once but twice and eventually learned the very valuable lesson that not having patience and/or being overly enthusiastic for a particular car can be a recipe for a bad mistake.
NC14GT (3/3/23)
Old 3/3/23, 03:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Be aware that, contrary to common knowledge, odometer rollbacks are still a reality. Even in modern vehicles, it can be done,

I am not saying that has happened. I am only saying it is possible.

We got our 2015 in 2020 with only 51k miles. But she also had documentation indicating she was owned by Ford Motor Company for the first year, and went to Crossroads Ford in NC after that with only 300 miles on the odometer.
NC14GT (3/3/23)
Old 3/3/23, 03:21 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,611 Posts
Originally Posted by TomSchaeffer
Thank you for this point! I also believe that the mileage only doesn't define the condition of the vehicle
Just so we're both on the same page, I clearly stated in my original post that mileage wasn't the only factor, but also if the vehicle in question was ever involved in a major collision...
I also clearly stated that if an insurance claim were never submitted, no record would be on file reported to CarFax, AutoCheck, or Bumper...

In addition, I never mentioned anything nor provided any links about vin check, but rather you added that to my original post, which I really didn't appreciate...Therefore, for future reference, don't be adding any of your personal opinions or links to another forum member's post submission without authorization first!

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
If the 50k mileage is legit, then I wouldn't be concerned... I would however be concerned if the vehicle has ever been involved in a major collision... If an insurance claim was never submitted for collision damages? there will be no record reported to CarFax, AutoCheck, or Bumper... That being said, I would strongly recommend following the advice provided above by Shaneyusa, NC07GTCS, and myself before purchasing this vehicle...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/3/23 at 09:51 PM.