General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Recommendation to eliminate air vent odor??

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/23, 04:30 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 956 Likes on 583 Posts
Recommendation to eliminate air vent odor??

The car was sitting too long apparently before we bought it last August. The vents emit a rather stale odor, not sure if mildew or just a generally stale smell. It's actually rather nasty when the heat is on HIGH. Barely noticeable when the a/c is on. I've sprayed some generic Lysol, etc.. products in the outside vents where the air gets sucked into the car, but the smell returns. I need something heavy duty to kill the mildew or whatever from inside the vent system. Clip-on items just mask things and NOT what I want. If I have to take the car to a professional shop, I will, but there must be something you guys can recommend first. I'd like to try anyway. Thanks!
Old 2/23/23, 05:56 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,907 Posts
Originally Posted by NC14GT
The car was sitting too long apparently before we bought it last August. The vents emit a rather stale odor, not sure if mildew or just a generally stale smell. It's actually rather nasty when the heat is on HIGH. Barely noticeable when the a/c is on. I've sprayed some generic Lysol, etc.. products in the outside vents where the air gets sucked into the car, but the smell returns. I need something heavy duty to kill the mildew or whatever from inside the vent system. Clip-on items just mask things and NOT what I want. If I have to take the car to a professional shop, I will, but there must be something you guys can recommend first. I'd like to try anyway. Thanks!
This is What we Used at the Ford Dealerships I had Worked at over the Years! Seemed to Have Good Results. It's Part of a Kit But Works Well if Not Completely Moldy Etc.

Amazon Amazon

For The Complete Service Kit Used at The Dealership . {WATCH VIDEO ON PRODUCT PAGE} For Process!

Amazon Amazon

While More of a Site For Distributors You Can Dig For Some Application Information. On A Side Note I used a Lot of Their Products in My Own Vehicles over the Years! Had Good Luck With Them!

https://www.bgprod.com/

Youtube

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 2/23/23 at 06:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NC14GT (2/24/23)
Old 2/23/23, 09:00 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,611 Posts
Change the cabin air filter, recommended every 15k miles!
Bert (2/24/23)
Old 2/24/23, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Change the cabin air filter, recommended every 15k miles!
Thanks, yeah did that as soon as the car came home.
Old 2/24/23, 06:20 AM

05stangkc Thanks so much! I really like the BG products. Didn't know they made this. I will be ordering and I bet it will work. You probably saved me some good $$$ by not having to take the car in to a shop.
05stangkc (2/24/23)
Old 2/24/23, 01:51 PM

Thanks, yeah did that as soon as the car came home.
If changing the cabin air filter didn't make a difference, then perhaps the Mustang was exposed to a really musty environment during its previous long inactivity
Old 2/25/23, 07:22 AM

If changing the cabin air filter didn't make a difference, then perhaps the Mustang was exposed to a really musty environment during its previous long inactivity
Definitely was not getting enough fresh air. It was in a heated garage but I imagine those long Wisconsin winters are indeed musty. This BG stuff should work fine. I actually found it a bit cheaper on ebay with free shipping. I'll keep everyone posted once it gets here, and the results.
m05fastbackGT (2/28/23)
Old 2/25/23, 07:41 AM

Definitely was not getting enough fresh air. It was in a heated garage but I imagine those long Wisconsin winters are indeed musty. This BG stuff should work fine. I actually found it a bit cheaper on ebay with free shipping. I'll keep everyone posted once it gets here, and the results.
Very Cool! Rather See You on Ebay Vs Amazon Anyhoo! Did you Get the Full Kit or Just the Single Can ??

Here is a Little Trick I found That Works Great if You Want a Bit of Scented Air and a Cabin Filter Pre Filter. A Scented Dryer Sheet in Front of The Cabin Filter Where Space Allows will give a Scent Like Fresh Laundry. May Need a Few Dabs of Elmers Glue to Keep in Place.

If you Just Wanted a Pre Filter You Can Get Unscented as Well. Use it on my Home Air Purifiers to Catch Cat Hairs as Well as Extend Filter Life! Those Home Filters are Really Spendy and Use Three Per Unit So a Bonus There!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 2/25/23 at 07:52 AM.
NC14GT (2/26/23)
Old 2/25/23, 03:04 PM

No doubt that being in an enclosed area without exposure to fresh/circulating air for a prolonged period of time can most definitely become musty... Hopefully, the BG stuff that Kevin recommended will work out in getting rid of the musty cabin odors... In the meantime, we'll all be looking forward to posting your results following arrival
NC14GT (2/26/23)
Old 2/26/23, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Very Cool! Rather See You on Ebay Vs Amazon Anyhoo! Did you Get the Full Kit or Just the Single Can ??

Here is a Little Trick I found That Works Great if You Want a Bit of Scented Air and a Cabin Filter Pre Filter. A Scented Dryer Sheet in Front of The Cabin Filter Where Space Allows will give a Scent Like Fresh Laundry. May Need a Few Dabs of Elmers Glue to Keep in Place.

If you Just Wanted a Pre Filter You Can Get Unscented as Well. Use it on my Home Air Purifiers to Catch Cat Hairs as Well as Extend Filter Life! Those Home Filters are Really Spendy and Use Three Per Unit So a Bonus There!

KC
I guess I'm not the only one that avoids Amazon. I like spending my $$$ elsewhere. Ebay is no conservative bastion but dealing with individuals is much better IMO.
I did get the BIG 5 oz can but not the kit. I feel this will work. I'm sensitive to smells and much too finicky with my rides. My wife doesn't even notice the odor. I will probably buy a new Ford cabin filter when I'm done just in case some smell got into my current 'new' one. Thanks for the other tips too but I don't like any odors, just the outside air, unless behind a diesel of course.
m05fastbackGT (2/26/23)
Old 2/26/23, 02:48 PM

I would also recommend replacing the cabin air filter once again as well, just to make certain there are no residual odors remaining in the current filter
NC14GT (2/27/23)
Old 2/27/23, 07:11 AM

I would also recommend replacing the cabin air filter once again as well, just to make certain there are no residual odors remaining in the current filter
Yeah, thanks for the idea when you mentioned it earlier. For $25 (another ebay purchase) it's a no-brainer, plus I wanted a Ford Motorcraft one anyway. I had to get a mongrel before due to the supply chain issue. Now the Ford products are back. These are Made in USA too.
Old 2/27/23, 10:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Scented wafer found under seat.

Found one of these under driver seat when I lifted the seat out to repair front tilt broken gear. Wife commented that the car smelled NEW when we picked it up last fall. I’ve never used fragrance things in a car before, but this thing does the trick. It’s not too strong or overpowering either.
I’ve since found that car detail shops use these alot. She ordered more on the net. I threw another new one back under the seat.

Just my ‘two scents’
351venom

Last edited by 351venom; 2/27/23 at 01:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 351venom:
m05fastbackGT (2/28/23), NC14GT (2/28/23)
Old 2/27/23, 10:42 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Air fresheners are always a good idea but can mask odors. If there is a problem it is best to locate the source and eliminate it.
NC14GT (2/28/23)
Old 2/27/23, 01:42 PM

Yeah, thanks for the idea when you mentioned it earlier. For $25 (another ebay purchase) it's a no-brainer, plus I wanted a Ford Motorcraft one anyway. I had to get a mongrel before due to the supply chain issue. Now the Ford products are back. These are Made in USA too.
I wasn't certain if you replaced the cabin filter soon after you purchased the "14" GT... Therefore, that was my main reason for suggesting the idea

Originally Posted by 351venom
Found one of these under driver seat when I lifted the seat out to repair front tilt broken gear. Wife commented that the car smelled NEW when we picked it up last fall. I’ve never used fragrance things in a car before, but this thing does the trick. It’s not too strong or overpowering either.
I’ve since found that car detail shops use these alot. She ordered more on the net. I threw another new one back under the seat.

Just my ‘two scents’
351venom
Nice find! I'll have to consider placing an order for these for my "06" GT
The following 2 users liked this post by m05fastbackGT:
351venom (2/28/23), NC14GT (2/28/23)
Old 2/28/23, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by 1 COBRA
Air fresheners are always a good idea but can mask odors. If there is a problem it is best to locate the source and eliminate it.
That's my plan as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by NC14GT:
351venom (2/28/23), m05fastbackGT (2/28/23)
Old 3/3/23, 08:09 AM

Received both items and all set to go. Both state Made In USA as advertised.
I'll apply/ install both products today and I'll drive the car tomorrow or Sunday (beautiful days forecast) and report the results.

Old 3/4/23, 02:04 PM

I noticed an immediate difference within the first few miles today and mostly smelled the BG product, not the odor from before. I drove out on the highway for about 20 minutes more alternating between a/c, heat, and fresh outside vent air. I would say the odor is now gone or at least 90% gone but my nose probably was working overtime and I could not tell anymore. I'm very pleased with this BG Frigi Fresh and if I notice any lingering odors I'll simply apply it again. I have quite a bit left in the can. I also like having that Ford air cabin filter in there instead of that Chinese crap.I'm good to go.
Thanks to all!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by NC14GT:
05stangkc (3/4/23), Siber Express (3/4/23)
Old 3/4/23, 03:26 PM

I noticed an immediate difference within the first few miles today and mostly smelled the BG product, not the odor from before. I drove out on the highway for about 20 minutes more alternating between a/c, heat, and fresh outside vent air. I would say the odor is now gone or at least 90% gone but my nose probably was working overtime and I could not tell anymore. I'm very pleased with this BG Frigi Fresh and if I notice any lingering odors I'll simply apply it again. I have quite a bit left in the can. I also like having that Ford air cabin filter in there instead of that Chinese crap.I'm good to go.
Thanks to all!!!
Dare I Say Now you Cab Breathe Easy. I'm Chemical & Scent Sensitive as Well. My Condition is Called MCS Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. Hell of a Thing For A Car Guy to Have!

KC
The following 2 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
NC14GT (3/5/23), Siber Express (3/4/23)
Old 3/4/23, 05:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 551 Likes on 357 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Dare I Say Now you Cab Breathe Easy. I'm Chemical & Scent Sensitive as Well. My Condition is Called MCS Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. Hell of a Thing For A Car Guy to Have!

KC
I have gotten that way with age with the Sensitive nose. That and I am going on 8 years since I fixed my taste buds, AKA quit smoking.
The following 2 users liked this post by Siber Express:
05stangkc (3/4/23), NC14GT (3/5/23)

Quick Reply: Recommendation to eliminate air vent odor??