General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Pulled over today...

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/05, 05:42 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dswhalen@June 9, 2005, 1:58 AM
Well it is my 2 cents worth. Your 2 cents and mine make up about 2more cents. I don't think you are ever worse off if you fight a ticket. Even if you fight it and lose you are in the same place as if you paid it. So fight like heck. And don't be forthcoming.

It's like the detectives on Law and Order that say, if you just tell us, it will be good for you. Most people make the case for the prosecution while they think they are helping out, honest.

A friend of mine was a real estate agent that showed a house. A month or so later something went missing. The homeowners thought it was a RE agent. The cops went through the agent log and called in a bunch of agents. They told everyone that they had an eye witness and it would be good if the person would just confess. Had they confessed they would charge based on that. So don't ever tell a prosecutor the skinny. That advice is true in any state.

Another 2 cents that make sense.
Please tell me your not using a TV show to base experience on.

If you fight it and lose, then you are in the same place as if you paid the ticket huh?? I have 9 years experience as an LEO and testifying at least 30-40 times each year. And sitting in and watching probably 100 cases each year. I have, on numerous occasions, seen someone leaving court having to pay much more than what they would have if they had just paid. This, because the Judge charged them with the Maximum fine for said charge instead of the basic fine. Hence, another reason why you could be hurting folks more than helping them.

My suggestion is, and it's just my "2cents", but when giving your advice, you need to use a disclaimer saying...."blah, blah, this is how they do it in "said" county court or "said" municipal court." Not a blanket statement like this works everywhere.
Old 6/9/05, 08:08 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by one2gamble@May 30, 2005, 5:04 AM
ya so next time just let the car hit you

Read the whole post .I was simply stating he DID pass on the shoulder.I didn't say he should hit the car.
Old 6/10/05, 09:01 AM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
I'll add a little more than 2 cents....here is my shiney nickels worth:

DON'T base your advice, impressions, actions on TELEVISION!!!!

Here is an example....CSI showed how they helped track down a location area by checking the black box on a Ford Expedition.....That was amusing since they DON'T HAVE ONE!!!

Television is full of inconsistencies and the last time I checked Law & Order didn't try simple traffic cases

Now if you told us you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...then THAT would be a different story!
Old 6/10/05, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by svopaul@June 10, 2005, 8:04 AM
I'll add a little more than 2 cents....here is my shiney nickels worth:
DON'T base your advice, impressions, actions on TELEVISION!!!!

Here is an example....CSI showed how they helped track down a location area by checking the black box on a Ford Expedition.....That was amusing since they DON'T HAVE ONE!!!

Television is full of inconsistencies and the last time I checked Law & Order didn't try simple traffic cases
Now if you told us you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...then THAT would be a different story!
You may have a point. But in my state the speeding penalty is fixed and if you fight it or pay it, it doesn't change. This is because they believe you shouldn't be punished more if you exercise your right to redress. I think that is standard in most states but who knows.

My daughter was in an accident where she was right behind a car in a left turn lane waiting for a turn. A car blew the light and slammed the car ahead of her into the front bumper. She was ticketed for "following too close" when she wasn't even moving. We fought it and the prosecutor added inatentive driving, and asked us to plea and he would drop the following charge. We beat both charges in court. So they can try to pile stuff on.

I have never fought a ticket where I was clearly at fault. But if it is wrong I will fight it all the way. (I've lost a few but have won quite a few.)

But I don't let fear dictate my decision which is what I think you are saying.

Peace
Old 6/10/05, 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is a summary of what I was saying.

Cops make bad judgement calls from time to time.

Cops will lie in court CYA

Most people just pay their tickets and are done with it.

You shouldn't be afraid to fight a ticket if you have good information and you feel you have been unjustly ticketed.

When you fight a ticket the prosecutor will try to get you to unwillingly devulge your case so he can wipe the floor with you (legal term, prevail). So don't be forthcoming until your in front of a judge.

Old 6/10/05, 12:26 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by dswhalen@June 10, 2005, 1:19 PM

Cops make bad judgement calls from time to time.

Cops will lie in court CYA

Here you go again with your blanket statements. I have NEVER lied in court and never will!! I also don't write unless I'm 100% sure of the violation. Our Department policy even says..."When in doubt, don't enforce". So, if your ready to get flamed, then keep making blanket degrading statements about ALL cops! :nono:
Old 6/10/05, 12:29 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by flashbang756@June 10, 2005, 1:29 PM
Here you go again with your blanket statements. I have NEVER lied in court and never will!! I also don't write unless I'm 100% sure of the violation. Our Department policy even says..."When in doubt, don't enforce". So, if your ready to get flamed, then keep making blanket degrading statements about ALL cops! :nono:
Old 6/10/05, 03:27 PM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally posted by flashbang756@June 10, 2005, 12:29 PM

I would suggest that you not make generalized statements like this, you CANNOT just say or assume that "All cops lie" just becuase they have a job that requires them to enforce YOU...the motorist! Making that statement is completely ignorant and there is no way you can justify that. I am sure there are cops out there that will lie in court....however the majority...meaning most of them DO NOT. I can say this with certainty having known many who are in Law Enforcement.

People like you go around with this "US Against THEM" attitude....yet you forget what these guys do for the public on a daily basis....they take reckless and drunk drivers off the street that might one day kill you or someone close to you and they take drugs off the street as well that might one day kill you or someone close to you...whether directly or indirectly.

I think you are completely out of line with the "all cops lie" comment, you have no proof to back up this claim...only your assumption....and we all know what happens when you assume.
Old 6/28/05, 09:06 AM

I've gone to court a few times myself. Once because I was going so far over the speed limit that I had to appear before the judge. He sentenced me to driving school. I asked if I could just pay a fine and he agreed.

Couple of years ago I got pulled over in a batch with 2 other cars. I was the second car in line in the right lane of a busy 4 lane. This was one of those deals where I was completely surprised that I got tagged. The car in front of me and the car beside him seemed to be racing. I was a good ways back. Course, I was driving a red GT convertible.

Anyway, went to court and said my piece. LEO obviously didn't remember or recognize me. Judge found me guilty anyway. In GA, different speeds have different penalties - some type of sliding scale I guess. Different infractions have different point penalties, too.

As I was waiting to pay my fine, a court clerk was called into the courtroom and they made me wait. Finally, they told me that after the LEO and I had left the courtroom, the judge lowered my fine and points! I don't remember the amounts, but the points were just below the level that makes a hit on your license and effects your insurance. I left a happy camper.

My point: It's sometimes worth it to show up, plead your case, and see what happens. You could end up in much better shape. And unless you act like an azz you should be OK.

PS: in my courtroom experiences only 1 of the several dozen people that showed up got out of their ticket completey.

PPS: my 2 brothers are LEOs