General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/07, 10:51 AM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I just talked to Granatelli and all of my questions I think we already answered or already knew the answers to.

1. Install - He says it would be easier on a lift, of course, but would be no problem with the car on jackstands. Everything I've ever done to any car has been on jackstands, so this issue is a .

2. Tune - Doesn't matter if I have Flowmasters, the tune is the same. The tune is very conservative, so I would only need to have it custom tuned if I wanted to dial in every bit of HP. I'm sure the HP I'll see will be adequate, to say the least, so I'm good to go here.

3. Injectors - the injectors are there if/when needed and are, of course, controlled by the computer. They wouldn't be dumping raw fuel just because of their bigger size. When not getting on it, they will act like the 21 lb stock injectors. If you step on it, and more fuel is needed, it's available.

4. Clutch - like we said, the stock clutch is more than adequate unless the car will be used to race. With no hard launches over and over again, the stock clutch is fine. People that want to race install a better clutch at the same time as the turbo. Another good to go!

5. Octane rating - The tune is designed for CA 91 octane. Even he said FL 91 octane is better, so I'll already be running better gas than it's tuned for. He said 93 wouldn't hurt it (like running 87) but it wouldn't have any benefits, either. Dang, another

6. Heat - Not nearly an issue like it was in the old days. Using Mobil 1 Synthetic is great and he said an oil cooler before dumping back to the oil pan is totally unnecessary. He said he still wouldn't do a 1/4 mile pass, get to the end of the track, and shut it off... but I don't think I would do that with a N/A engine, either.

7. Price - This is the only thing holding me back from getting on the phone and ordering it right now. There has to be one
Old 10/22/07, 10:56 AM
Cobra Member

Cha - Ching................

Book it Dan-o
Old 10/22/07, 11:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Well, I just talked to Granatelli and all of my questions I think we already answered or already knew the answers to.

1. Install - He says it would be easier on a lift, of course, but would be no problem with the car on jackstands. Everything I've ever done to any car has been on jackstands, so this issue is a .

2. Tune - Doesn't matter if I have Flowmasters, the tune is the same. The tune is very conservative, so I would only need to have it custom tuned if I wanted to dial in every bit of HP. I'm sure the HP I'll see will be adequate, to say the least, so I'm good to go here.

3. Injectors - the injectors are there if/when needed and are, of course, controlled by the computer. They wouldn't be dumping raw fuel just because of their bigger size. When not getting on it, they will act like the 21 lb stock injectors. If you step on it, and more fuel is needed, it's available.

4. Clutch - like we said, the stock clutch is more than adequate unless the car will be used to race. With no hard launches over and over again, the stock clutch is fine. People that want to race install a better clutch at the same time as the turbo. Another good to go!

5. Octane rating - The tune is designed for CA 91 octane. Even he said FL 91 octane is better, so I'll already be running better gas than it's tuned for. He said 93 wouldn't hurt it (like running 87) but it wouldn't have any benefits, either. Dang, another

6. Heat - Not nearly an issue like it was in the old days. Using Mobil 1 Synthetic is great and he said an oil cooler before dumping back to the oil pan is totally unnecessary. He said he still wouldn't do a 1/4 mile pass, get to the end of the track, and shut it off... but I don't think I would do that with a N/A engine, either.

7. Price - This is the only thing holding me back from getting on the phone and ordering it right now. There has to be one

Don't forget the added expense of tires..... you will absolutely roast what you have on there now, whenever you decide to go WOT. Burnouts and donuts are cool- getting squirrely when not trying is not cool LOL.
Old 10/22/07, 11:23 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Don't forget the added expense of tires..... you will absolutely roast what you have on there now, whenever you decide to go WOT. Burnouts and donuts are cool- getting squirrely when not trying is not cool LOL.
I'll worry about them down the road!

Forgot to add - there is a small amount of "Ace Bandage" visible from the Turbo like in the picture of the blue car. All the rest is under the car.

I don't think that would be a deal buster since it's obvious why that tube is wrapped. I see some cars at car shows with both headers wrapped entirely in that stuff. That's really obvious and still doesn't look that bad. Just gives it that "race car" look.
Old 10/22/07, 11:36 AM
Cobra R Member

That's what VMP dyno-tuning is for.

And I'm sure you could run at more than 7 psi and still be safe. You can run turbos higher than SCs and still be alright. I know you are looking for reliability though and 7 psi will certainly give you plenty of power.
Old 10/22/07, 11:37 AM
Cobra R Member

I don't think that would be a deal buster since it's obvious why that tube is wrapped. I see some cars at car shows with both headers wrapped entirely in that stuff. That's really obvious and still doesn't look that bad. Just gives it that "race car" look.
Now you gotta get that "race car" sound like Perry's.
Old 10/22/07, 11:53 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by kh765
Now you gotta get that "race car" sound like Perry's.
Already had that for 2 days! No thanks!
Old 10/22/07, 12:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom
Looks like the only bad thing is the price! I think your going to love the sound of the turbo spooling up!
Old 10/22/07, 12:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2. Tune - ... so I would only need to have it custom tuned if I wanted to dial in every bit of HP. I'm sure the HP I'll see will be adequate, to say the least, so I'm good to go here.

2. More importantly than hp extraction is to make sure your A/F readings don't creep into the danger zone.

7. Just charge it!

The bandage thing looks too industrial to me. But, since it's not shown too much, guess it's okay.
Old 10/22/07, 12:15 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
2. More importantly than hp extraction is to make sure your A/F readings don't creep into the danger zone.
That's what I mean about the tune being conservative. If anything, it will be too rich... too lean, as you know, is in the danger zone (but would yield more power). I will definitely take it to VMP tuning to get two pulls to check on my A/F ratio, though. If it's on the rich side, great! I would rather be safe with 430 RWHP, than risky with 475 RWHP!

7. Just charge it!
That would be the plan! At least 1/2 of it.

The bandage thing looks too industrial to me. But, since it's not shown too much, guess it's okay.
I've seen silver heat shielding wrap. I could buy that from Summit Racing and do that small visible part in that. It would help it blend in better.
Old 10/22/07, 12:15 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by USMC0341

Tom
Looks like the only bad thing is the price! I think your going to love the sound of the turbo spooling up!
That's one thing I'm looking forward to!!

Actually, from looking at the graphs, the 8psi looks to be closer to 400 RWHP... deals off!

Just kidding, but that would put me way under the 475 HP mark that you mentioned before.
Old 10/22/07, 01:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Busy this past weekend...

Went to the track friday. Not trophy and no new best time. I still ran off some 8.6's though. I'm hoping next time with the relo brackets I might be able to improve slightly. We'll see.

Other than that it was my 5th year wedding anniversary and Sunday is football day so haven't had much time to post.

Tom-Sorry for no replying to your turbocharger posts,email, and pms. It's just I'm not very technically savvy so I don't have much to say. The only thing I will say though is hell yeah do it.

BMR relo and maybe a-arm support install is scheduled for this coming Friday.

SHR fuel door is on still trying to decide if I'm going to keep it or not.
Old 10/22/07, 01:21 PM

Went to the track friday. Not trophy and no new best time. I still ran off some 8.6's though. I'm hoping next time with the relo brackets I might be able to improve slightly. We'll see.
So you're saying that the Steeda UDP's and CMCV Deletes didn't do crap for performance?

Other than that it was my 5th year wedding anniversary and Sunday is football day so haven't had much time to post.
Congrats Leo for surviving 5 years of marriage!!!
When can we expect Leo Jr.?

Got all your ducks in a row for the install this time around?

I say keep it. You've got matte black all over the place now, the black billet just matches perfectly.
Besides, one day you'll need that extra edge if you decide to pull the fuel door trick at your next carshow (Sunset Showdown).
Old 10/22/07, 01:26 PM
GTR Member

So you're saying that the Steeda UDP's and CMCV Deletes didn't do crap for performance?
More power, no traction?

Congrats!

My a-arm install was super easy!

I say keep it. You've got matte black all over the place now, the black billet just matches perfectly.
Besides, one day you'll need that extra edge if you decide to pull the fuel door trick at your next carshow (Sunset Showdown).
I agree!
Old 10/22/07, 01:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

No,no I'm not saying that. Remember before those two mods the my best e.t. ever was 8.8. Those two mods together helped me drop 2 tenths. I was just hoping that since the last time I ran was in the summer that I would gain atleast a tenth because of the better weather but I guess not. So now I have a new baseline to go off for when I do the relo brackets and eventually gears.

BTW-Planted the seed in the wife's head that I want the Saleen Watts link for x-mas.

I can't afford to be diverting mod $$.

I guess we'll see.

You won't let that fuel door joke go will you. We'll see I'll have a final decision by the end of the week.
Old 10/22/07, 01:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Other than that it was my 5th year wedding anniversary
Congrats to you and the missus Leo. I had my 5th this past August as well.
Old 10/22/07, 01:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Other than that it was my 5th year wedding anniversary
Congrats Leo
Old 10/22/07, 02:50 PM

BTW-Planted the seed in the wife's...

Please Leo, keep this a family forum.

I can't afford to be diverting mod $$.
Too late.

You won't let that fuel door joke go will you.
Nope.
Don't forget, we're in the same Class this time around. You'll need that fuel door trick as I may have a trick or two up my sleeve.
Old 10/22/07, 02:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks guys.

BTW-Planted the seed in the wife's...

Please Leo, keep this a family forum.

You won't let that fuel door joke go will you.
Nope.
Don't forget, we're in the same Class this time around. You'll need that fuel door trick as I may have a trick or two up my sleeve.

Getting that S/C or wheels and tires? Are you busting a Jed on us? Getting new mods and not telling us till they're on.
Old 10/22/07, 03:04 PM
GTR Member

You don't keep the fuel door open any more to attract people to your car??

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)