General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/06, 10:14 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I had it, I would have used it.

No word on the Shaker... not sure if Daryl made the phone call(s) yet looking for a discount.

I'm looking forward to doing it now, though!
Old 6/3/06, 10:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
No word on the Shaker... not sure if Daryl made the phone call(s) yet looking for a discount.

I'm looking forward to doing it now, though!
I ask because I was at Home Depot tonight and saw some jigsaw blades, fine tooth TPI, and thought about you guys getting ready to saw a square hole in your hoods.

I'm sure Daryl was pre-occupied with stripes today. I know Daryl really wants the Shaker like you, so it's something he won't ignore.
Old 6/3/06, 10:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Here is the adjustable sway bar link compared to stock:

Attachment 1491

The ACTUAL purpose of these is to "neutralize" the sway bar. I know there is pre-load on the sway bar since my car is almost level with the links not installed. (When I install the fixed links, the sway bar is pre-loaded, and the body tilts - this is why 99.9% of Mustangs are higher on one side - even Bill's garage queen.
Am I 0.1% of Mustangs or is 1/64" considered tilt?
Old 6/3/06, 10:30 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by karman
Am I 0.1% of Mustangs or is 1/64" considered tilt?
You are either in the .1% or extremely lucky (but any tilt is still tilt). I can't stand when the driver's side is even 1/8" lower than the passenger side. I know a guy with an '03 Mustang that looks lowered on the driver's side, and like a 4x4 on the passenger side. I don't know how he stands it. That is the extreme, though.

Wouldn't be concerned with 1/64", though. I want to be able to walk around the car and have it look like the gap between the top of the tire and the fenderwell is the same on both sides. I don't care if it is the same, as long as it looks that way.
Old 6/3/06, 10:50 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I'll go with lucky.
My car was built in the middle of the week (not Monday or Friday). It even seems tighter and quieter than others (my wife says it's luxury car tight and Dustin thought the body was very quiet). It also seems on the high end of power ( stock 271 RWHP and 295 torque).
Yup, I think I've been very lucky so far.
Old 6/3/06, 11:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
D A M N! good job, Daryl!!

5.5 hours including the layout and masking? That's flying compared to the 12+ hour jobs that I've read about.
Thanks, it sure didn't feel like I was flying once I got to the rear end of the car
Okay, here comes the questions...
How did you determine the CL on the roof?
I used a flexible measureing tape (got from my mom, it's a sewing tape measure). I placed one end on the outside edge of the black strip on the roof and then taped it at the same place on the opposite side. Find the center and mark the center line. Then I would measure back 10-12" and repeat the process. I had five marks across the length of the roof.
What did you use to mark the CL on the paint? Grease pencil?
Yes, grease pencil
I see you marked strips of green tape and placed them in several places on the roof. Now what did you do after that exactly? Run a long piece of tape OVER the small strips that marked the CL?
Actaully I only did the beginning and ending positions that way. Yes I aligned the center mark of the tape across my grease pencil center marks.
In hinesight, would you recommend doing the rear emblem and 3rd brake light first because that'll dictate the exact gap spacing?
No I would probably do the same thing again. I used the same process on the rear deck lid, using the trunk lines. It came out close enough for me
What were the issues you came across besides not getting the backing wet while still on the vinyl?
Well the emblem area is such a royal PITA !! The instructions say to lay the emblem piece (1/8" Gap, LOL Yea right that is a joke) first then let it dry before the brake piece. I could NOT get those two pieces to line up for love or money. I always had extra to one side and it was the same thing on the passenger side as well as the driver side. So I wound up actually installing the emblem piece and the brake piece at the same time.
The rear bumper is a PITA as well. That is where I have a couple of noticeble flaws. You get wrinkles in that area PERIOD and you let it dry before you attempt to get rid of them, but I still couldn't get rid comepletely. I have a wrinkle (small one) so I don't know hopefully it will lay down and look better as time goes on.
On the rear spoiler, does the vinyl stop short right before the forward and 'valleys'?
Mine actually went into the valley just a little. You have to get on the ground to see where they end.
Old 6/3/06, 11:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well tomorrow AM is wash day, that car is filthy now, from my sweaty arms and the solution.
Old 6/3/06, 11:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Any word on the Shaker deal?
They are only available M-F 8:00 - 5:00 Tom's Time.
I'll call Monday at work.
Old 6/4/06, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Well tomorrow AM is wash day, that car is filthy now, from my sweaty arms and the solution.
Thanks for answering my questions. Any hiccups I can avoid from your 'lessons learned' will benefit me big time.

Will you be attemting the front bumpers any time soon? Or, will wait to do the hood and front bumper together?

On the tape, did you lay out the vinyl's edge approx. 1/4" like the directions say? Better yet, are you still holding the 2" gap on the areas that you striped? If not, what kind of tolerance do you have?

I'm having difficulty locating the 3M green tape. Went to HD as well as another store, but came up empty. Any idea what store in my area may stock these?
Old 6/4/06, 06:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for answering my questions. Any hiccups I can avoid from your 'lessons learned' will benefit me big time.
No Problem, just take your time and have fun on that PITA rear deck/bumper area.

Will you be attemting the front bumpers any time soon? Or, will wait to do the hood and front bumper together?
Not till I get the hood stripes, I will do those first then the front bumper after. Easier to maintain the spacing with the visual aide of the hood stripes.
On the tape, did you lay out the vinyl's edge approx. 1/4" like the directions say? Better yet, are you still holding the 2" gap on the areas that you striped? If not, what kind of tolerance do you have?
Yes I did, and I didn't measure it. It looks pretty even so I didn't bother with verifying. Just guessing I am within an 1/8".

I'm having difficulty locating the 3M green tape. Went to HD as well as another store, but came up empty. Any idea what store in my area may stock these?
Any type of a Paint & Body Supply shop should have it. Probably have to look up some inthe phone book and makes some calls. It stayed on untill I took it off, even when it was soaking wet from the solution.

Now I am off to wash the car, and for the first time I am not looking forward to it
Still tired from yesterday stripe install, then went to cookout, swam played poker till midnight.
Old 6/4/06, 08:46 AM

No Problem, just take your time and have fun on that PITA rear deck/bumper area.
Have fun? Ri i i ight... it's just that I can't find a trustworthy installer!

Not till I get the hood stripes, I will do those first then the front bumper after. Easier to maintain the spacing with the visual aide of the hood stripes.
Yes I did, and I didn't measure it. It looks pretty even so I didn't bother with verifying. Just guessing I am within an 1/8".
Sounds good to me, it's all about the looks!

Any type of a Paint & Body Supply shop should have it. Probably have to look up some inthe phone book and makes some calls. It stayed on untill I took it off, even when it was soaking wet from the solution.
I'll take a look, thanks.

Now I am off to wash the car, and for the first time I am not looking forward to it
Still tired from yesterday stripe install, then went to cookout, swam played poker till midnight.
Party? Midnight? You're not in your twenties anymore!
Old 6/4/06, 09:18 AM
GTR Member

This morning, I guessed and backed off 1 turn on the adjustable link. (Remember, I turned it 2 turns making it longer to exaggerate the effect to make sure it worked the way I wanted.)

Anyway, I backed off 1 turn, tightened the jam nuts and drove around the neighbor hood.

AND.......

The whole car is no more than 1/16" off from left to right! The passenger side is still a hair lower which is how I like it.

More importantly, the car looks so level now. I'm so tuned into this leveling crap, that I can look at the car head on and see it's tilting to one side.

Now it looks perfect!
Old 6/4/06, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Daryl, I love the stripes. Chris just walked by while I was catching up on 4 days of posts and said "well if it can be done by the owner, I'm going to do yours!" So here we go - another adventure! Don't know when we'll get to it. But I guess stripes are moving up on the mods list.

Hi everyone else!
Old 6/4/06, 12:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by swwake
Daryl, I love the stripes. Chris just walked by while I was catching up on 4 days of posts and said "well if it can be done by the owner, I'm going to do yours!" So here we go - another adventure! Don't know when we'll get to it. But I guess stripes are moving up on the mods list.

Hi everyone else!
Thanks stranger
You want White or Black ?? 10" or 12" (and I am talking about stripes )
White looks awsome on TR and it would match Bill's
They can be done by someone other than a professional, but they are frustrating and time consuming. Now I know why they charge so much to install them
Old 6/4/06, 02:54 PM
Bullitt Member

You want White or Black ?? 10" or 12" (and I am talking about stripes )
Don't know yet, and don't know yet. Still need to look at a few. I would say leaning toward the white for now. And I'm talking about stripes too!
Old 6/4/06, 03:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by swwake
Don't know yet, and don't know yet. Still need to look at a few. I would say leaning toward the white for now.
Check HERE and see if any of the links work now after the upgrade.
Old 6/4/06, 09:26 PM

Hi Susan! Your future mod list grows evertime you catch up on this thread!

Tom: I'd say a 1/16" is pretty darn close. Good job getting it just about even. I know when certain things bug me, I have to get it done.

Daryl: I agree, GW on TR is the way to go! I may put my order in this week with BSM. I just wish I knew what the deal with the nozzle cut-outs are. Guess I'll try and e-mail Rob again.
Old 6/5/06, 06:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Daryl: I agree, GW on TR is the way to go! I may put my order in this week with BSM. I just wish I knew what the deal with the nozzle cut-outs are. Guess I'll try and e-mail Rob again.
Buy without the cutouts, a little extra work to remove the washer nozzles, but then you don't have an area showing around them. Just cut an "X" in the area the nozzles go and then re-install them.
Old 6/5/06, 08:44 AM

Buy without the cutouts, a little extra work to remove the washer nozzles, but then you don't have an area showing around them. Just cut an "X" in the area the nozzles go and then re-install them.
I just received a reply from Rob and this is what he said regarding the washer nozzle cut-outs...

"The nozzle cutouts are smaller than the nozzles, but the nozzles will slide through when you pop them up. You do not see any gap when they are installed."

I'm a bit confused by the second part of his first sentence. Sounds like you pop the nozzles up though the layed down vinyl, then back down?

Perhaps, the 'no cut-outs' were designed for non-OEM hoods.
Old 6/5/06, 08:53 AM
GTR Member

I just wanted to be post #1000

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)