General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/07, 02:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pville piper
Yeah, how about hotter than heII in the summer!
Hell yes many, many consecutive days of triple digit temps in the summer
Old 4/24/07, 03:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Dam it!!! I've called 5 pep boys went to Napa,Kragens,Autozone, and Carquest and still can't find this weatherstripping. Heck I even went to the manufactures website and couldn't find it.
Old 4/24/07, 06:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What do you guys think of this mod?? I like but want to wait for the chrom trim used on the PJ.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...562#post900562
Old 4/24/07, 08:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
What do you guys think of this mod?? I like but want to wait for the chrom trim used on the PJ.
Just my .02, but I'm not liking the chrome trim at all on the S197, even the PJ. It'd be the first thing I took off if for some reason I had money to buy one. YMMV though.
Old 4/24/07, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I don't feel so bad about my '89 now. All the N/A cars were just over mine and one was even less than mine. And none were over 300!

That's my goal for May 5th: 300 or greater RWHP. I've been doing a lot of work on the carb. It's totally re-jetted now and I bought a huge air cleaner that will be JUST for the dyno runs... with a 14" x 3" open air cleaner instead of the restriced 1985 set-up.

That un-restricted air flow, plus the 8% leaner secondaries, plus the much bigger accelerator pump shot when going to WOT should hopefully bring it up a measly 46 HP.

It's funny that I say "measly"... the 1989 4-cylinder Mustangs had only 74 RWHP!
I'm not familiar what heads are on your 89-90 Mustang, but just like the debates with CAI and throttlebodys, your going to come to a point where you can't outflow your heads. Personally, I can't see 46HP with carb. tuning. As a reference, the 83 Mustang gained about 20HP with a 4bbl carb over the 82 Mustang with a 2 bbl carb.
Old 4/24/07, 09:40 PM
Cobra R Member

I think it *may* have potential, especially on the black. BUT, I'd have to see it in person, because I've never really been a "chrome" person (except maybe on black)

Or, you can keep with the stealth look
Old 4/25/07, 03:23 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by matko
I'm not familiar what heads are on your 89-90 Mustang, but just like the debates with CAI and throttlebodys, your going to come to a point where you can't outflow your heads. Personally, I can't see 46HP with carb. tuning. As a reference, the 83 Mustang gained about 20HP with a 4bbl carb over the 82 Mustang with a 2 bbl carb.
That makes sense, since heads sucked until 1987. That's when they started to open them up a little bit. Even then, they were very restrictive compared to aluminum aftermarket heads.

Did you see how rich the A/F ratio was? That HP chart was far from max HP available from this engine.

It wasn't just the carb not being tuned, it was the the lack of air getting into the engine. They are aluminum Edelbrock Performance RPM heads with huge valves and a lot more flow than stock heads... even a lot more flow than the GT40P heads I had before that came on the 93 Cobra.

Just the change from a paper filter to a K&N filter is good for at least 10 HP, even though they advertise up to 15.

Everybody at FordMuscle agreed I should be closer to 330 RWHP with my intake/heads/cam. That is a 76 HP gain... I'm only hoping for 46.

We'll see, I guess.
Old 4/25/07, 07:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Has some potential as long as it's done right.

Done wrong, it'll look like a Pep Boys special.

Everybody at FordMuscle agreed I should be closer to 330 RWHP with my intake/heads/cam. That is a 76 HP gain... I'm only hoping for 46.
Just go install a 75HP shot of NOS and be done with it.
Old 4/25/07, 07:11 AM
Cobra R Member

a question for Leo...

Why does Leo want to know about replacement valve covers:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=64265

Aren't yours covered by the Shaker system? Or does this mean that you're considering the shaker "mod" that you posted about a couple of days ago.

Personally, I like the shaker system as is, with the mustang "sills" and all. It looks a LOT better than having all that wiring and such showing. Plus, it's probably a lot easier to keep clean.

I was considering the shaker, but the strut brace gets in the way of it, so no dice. To me (in my application), the strut brace is more important.
Old 4/25/07, 07:18 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Just go install a 75HP shot of NOS and be done with it.
Nope... N/A only.

I'm not really impressed with the cars with superchargers or Nitrous. Anybody can max out a credit card and get 400, 450, 500+ HP with a power adder and then taking it to a performance shop to have it tuned. DISCLAIMER: I'm not talking about our '06's... I'm talking about a hand built engine.

I researched and individually picked out each part for that engine down to every last nut and bolt.

I hand built it.

I'm tuning it.

I should be happy with the 305 BHP it has, but I know there is a lot more potential.

Ask Mike... I'll be obsessed with it until the 5th. After that, I'll know I did all I can and the numbers will be what they will be.

Building a small block Ford engine with 400 N/A BHP isn't easy, so if I get anywhere near 300 RWHP (give or take) I'll be happy. That will be right around 360 BHP.
Old 4/25/07, 07:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx

Aren't yours covered by the Shaker system? Or does this mean that you're considering the shaker "mod" that you posted about a couple of days ago.
Yep he is and he is not the only one. I get ****ed off at the shroud every time I have to do anything with it. It's a REAL PITA to take off and put back on, mess with wiring through it and I don't even want to think about changing plugs
I mentioned a long time ago that I wish the shroud was different, I just haven't gotten the nerve to start cutting on it.
Although I don't know if I would ever get the valve covers Powder Coated or painted just because it's my Daily Driver not a show car. But then again I never rule anything out.
Old 4/25/07, 07:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Yep he is and he is not the only one. I get ****ed off at the shroud every time I have to do anything with it. It's a REAL PITA to take off and put back on, mess with wiring through it and I don't even want to think about changing plugs
I mentioned a long time ago that I wish the shroud was different, I just haven't gotten the nerve to start cutting on it.
Although I don't know if I would ever get the valve covers Powder Coated or painted just because it's my Daily Driver not a show car. But then again I never rule anything out.
I would think the hassle of replacing the valve covers would be more than the hassle of taking the shroud off when doing work.
Old 4/25/07, 07:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
He's planning on doing the shroud mod as long as he find that weatherstripping.

Anybody can max out a credit card and get 400, 450, 500+ HP with a power adder and then taking it to a performance shop to have it tuned.
I wish I fell into the 'anybody' category...

Don't worry Tom, you'll hit that HP mark (or come real close to it).
Old 4/25/07, 07:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I would think the hassle of replacing the valve covers would be more than the hassle of taking the shroud off when doing work.
You have obviously never had the experience of removing/installing the shroud
Valve Covers = 1 time occurrence (If done right)
Shaker I have already removed/installed at least three times and I get more fed up with it every time I do.
Old 4/25/07, 07:42 AM
GTR Member

Why are you having to do things under the shroud, Daryl? I haven't taken it off since the day I installed it.

Unless you are talking about adding the CAI... but other than that?

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Don't worry Tom, you'll hit that HP mark (or come real close to it).
Hope you're right!
Old 4/25/07, 08:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Why are you having to do things under the shroud, Daryl? I haven't taken it off since the day I installed it.

Unless you are talking about adding the CAI... but other than that?
When installing , it came off/on a couple of times, when I installed the CAI a couple times and then for some cleaning a couple times. (Valve covers get dirty as a daily driver in Oklahoma)
Just irritating, very irritating.
Old 4/25/07, 08:45 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
When installing , it came off/on a couple of times, when I installed the CAI a couple times and then for some cleaning a couple times. (Valve covers get dirty as a daily driver in Oklahoma)
Just irritating, very irritating.
With the amount of time I spent making sure it was centered, I would never take it off unless I had to do something major. If I can't see it, I don't clean it (and it's a daily driver as well - but not in OK ).
Old 4/25/07, 10:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Personally, I like the shaker system as is, with the mustang "sills" and all. It looks a LOT better than having all that wiring and such showing. Plus, it's probably a lot easier to keep clean.

I was considering the shaker, but the strut brace gets in the way of it, so no dice. To me (in my application), the strut brace is more important.
I'm asking about valve covers because I'm considering the Shaker mod. I've always hated the huge shroud and think the engine would look less cluttered without it. I may consider leaving the "Mustang" sills depending on how it looks.

Anyone have any leads on that dam weatherstripping??
Old 4/25/07, 10:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have any leads on that dam weatherstripping??
The best I can add to this is that of course you can't find that weather stripping... it's for Chevy & Dodge trucks and a Pontiac Grand Prix, not Mustangs...

ahem... what about any of the restoration sites, they'd have or should have weather stripping and with some luck they type you're looking for.

Isn't year-one have that kind of stuff ? (I'd have links but all my bookmarks/favorites are at home and not at work).
Old 4/25/07, 10:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by habu
The best I can add to this is that of course you can't find that weather stripping... it's for Chevy & Dodge trucks and a Pontiac Grand Prix, not Mustangs...

ahem... what about any of the restoration sites, they'd have or should have weather stripping and with some luck they type you're looking for.

Isn't year-one have that kind of stuff ? (I'd have links but all my bookmarks/favorites are at home and not at work).
It's not that I haven't been able to find weatherstripping. The problem is that the weatherstripping I've found in stores and online doesn't have the molded clip on type edge that I need.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)