The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   General Mustang Chat (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/)
-   -   Ponies on The Run (Again) (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/ponies-run-again-432873/)

429 Boss Mustang 5/16/08 12:14 AM

ha hey toco hows the car coming along bro

89Trooper 5/16/08 06:30 AM

4 Attachment(s)
New Turbo mod...

Whenever the wastegate opens, it dumps any extra exhaust to keep boost at whatever level is set by the boost controller. It doesn't sound bad, but it is loud. Here is the best pic I have of it (it dumps well below the rubber steering boot):

Attachment 58309

So, I bought a simple muffler and had a guy at work weld it on the end of the dump pipe:

Attachment 58310 Attachment 58311 Attachment 58312

Now it is totally quiet when the wastegate opens... simple and only cost me $7.

This is different than the Blow off Valve... that still dumps all the extra boost out of the intake side when I shift. :metal:

StangMahn 5/16/08 06:35 AM

that's cool, more stealthiness

TacoBill 5/16/08 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 429 Boss Mustang (Post 5568178)
ha hey toco hows the car coming along bro

I'll be calling MMR today for an update, will post what I find out.

Originally Posted by 89Trooper (Post 5568256)
New Turbo mod...

Attachment 58309

That clamp looks heavy duty! ... reminds me of a handcuff. :rofl2:

89Trooper 5/16/08 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by TacoBill (Post 5568281)
That clamp looks heavy duty! ... reminds me of a handcuff. :rofl2:

Pretty cool, stainless clamps. The same type (but even bigger) holds on the wastegate to that black pipe.

LEO_06GT 5/16/08 08:24 AM

New Turbo mod...

Whenever the wastegate opens, it dumps any extra exhaust to keep boost at whatever level is set by the boost controller. It doesn't sound bad, but it is loud. Here is the best pic I have of it (it dumps well below the rubber steering boot):

Attachment 58309

So, I bought a simple muffler and had a guy at work weld it on the end of the dump pipe:

This is different than the Blow off Valve... that still dumps all the extra boost out of the intake side when I shift. :metal:

Looks good Tom.

Installed the power steering tank last night. Probably won't get around to installing the coolant tank till sometime next week. I'll post pics when I'm done.

George-Any news on the foam pieces?:poke:

89Trooper 5/16/08 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT (Post 5568301)
Looks good Tom.

Thanks! JR may use that muffler in his kits now. I sent him those pics and he's going to weld one on his car to try it out.

USMC0341 5/16/08 09:11 AM

Tom... looks good, nice and cheap mod:metal:

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT (Post 5568301)

George-Any news on the foam pieces?:poke:

Well he said he wouldnt charge my credit card till he had all three and was ready to ship, my card was charged on wed so......:dunno:

TacoBill 5/16/08 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper (Post 5568327)
JR may use that muffler in his kits now.

Ask for a cut.. :poke: :grin:

Originally Posted by USMC0341 (Post 5568337)
Well he said he wouldnt charge my credit card till he had all three and was ready to ship, my card was charged on wed so......:dunno:

Maybe in today's UPS delivery! :banana:

habu 5/16/08 09:27 AM

please help the slow-witted....

What or where do I go to get these things. I figured out that the compressor is at tirerack, right for 80 bucks.... but the foam is where ??

Tom That looks like a lawn mower muffler :poke: But if it tones down the pop or swoosh then :nice:

mossmustang chrome everything :puke:

LEO_06GT 5/16/08 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by USMC0341 (Post 5568337)
Tom... looks good, nice and cheap mod:metal:

Sounds like it might just make it to you today or tomorrow. Atleast that's what I'm hoping.:grin:

Originally Posted by habu (Post 5568354)

What or where do I go to get these things. I figured out that the compressor is at tirerack, right for 80 bucks.... but the foam is where ??

Tom That looks like a lawn mower muffler :poke: But if it tones down the pop or swoosh then :nice:

mossmustang chrome everything :puke:

The foam thing is from a fordparts guy in Montana. You could probably get it from your local ford if you have the part number and they're not trying to charge you the "retail" price.

89Trooper 5/16/08 09:43 AM

It is a lawn tractor muffler!

Inside that housing is a tube about the same size diameter as the dump pipe with a bunch of bigger holes, then the outside of what you see has all those little holes. That's it... all it does is break up the sound waves.

The sound it made wasn't popping or swooshing. When the wastegate opens, it dumps exhaust right after the headers but before the turbo. If there was popping, it would happen when you get off the gas, but that dump is closed then.

So, you could DEFINITELY tell when the wastegate opened!

turbo05gt 5/16/08 10:36 AM

New Turbo mod...

Attachment 58309

interesting!!!! I would try it on mine but I have two problems my waste gates re circulate and two I sold the car today.

89Trooper 5/16/08 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by turbo05gt (Post 5568432)
interesting!!!! I would try it on mine but I have two problems my waste gates re circulate and two I sold the car today.

yeah, if they recirculate, you'd have no place to mount the mufflers!

You sold the car??

TacoBill 5/16/08 11:11 AM

Man, if we knew this was going to be a big hit, we should've done a POTR GB so everyone gets it at the same time.

Q for the inflator people: Going to sell your spare & jack or keep it laying around in the garage?

USMC0341 5/16/08 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by TacoBill (Post 5568461)
Q for the inflator people: Going to sell your spare & jack or keep it laying around in the garage?

I'm going to keep mine, everytime I sell off my takeoff parts I end up regreting it or need them.

LEO_06GT 5/16/08 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by TacoBill (Post 5568461)
Man, if we knew this was going to be a big hit, we should've done a POTR GB so everyone gets it at the same time.

I've have mine up for sale already. Doubt anyone will buy it though so they'll probably just sit in my garage collecting dust.

officespace56 5/16/08 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 429 Boss Mustang (Post 5568138)
Matt nice car bro :) how much for all the chrome engine covers

For the record, that is NOT my car! I figured since I saw a few posts about too much bling, I would post that up. I am not sure, I think on the website I linked it was under the 7-piece chrome kit almost 500 smackers.

Way too much bling, tacky IMO.

USMC0341 5/16/08 12:09 PM

I have a question.... If I upgraded to 39lbs injectors and the gt500 dual fuel pump set up, would I have to get retuned or would the computer adjust? these mods might not have any gain with my set up but would give me peace of mind and support future mods. What do you guys think?

habu 5/16/08 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by USMC0341 (Post 5568516)
I have a question.... If I upgraded to 39lbs injectors and the gt500 dual fuel pump set up, would I have to get retuned or would the computer adjust? these mods might not have any gain with my set up but would give me peace of mind and support future mods. What do you guys think?

I've read specifically for the pump that the computer will compensate. Adding in the injectors might be another thing altogether. I would think that the computer would only tell the pump/injectors to flow at the rate that the computer knows to flow at, stock pump/injector flow rate. But then I'm not a tech wizard in teh compooters