The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   General Mustang Chat (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/)
-   -   Ponies on The Run (Again) (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/ponies-run-again-432873/)

TacoBill 6/1/06 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Here come the storms :(

Have a garage or something to do the stripe install?

OKCMustangGT 6/1/06 01:35 PM

Well I fixed the first post with all the links, so they work now. Well all but my MS word files, which I guess I will have to turn them into a post so people can actually see them :(

OKCMustangGT 6/1/06 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Have a garage or something to do the stripe install?

Unfortuantely no :( The storm has already passed over, just dumped a lot of rain, the wind blew a little bit and then she went away. :)
If there is not a tornado within ΒΌ mile then I don't worry too much about it. :)

KdF 6/1/06 01:57 PM

FWEEEET!!!!!!

Throw`s flag on BOTH players , markes off 15 Yards for Personal Fouls , Illegal use of Grammar Nazi`s ....NOT offsetting.

Anyhoo , I called around for the stripe installation `round here , and I seem to have found that body shops really don`t want to do`em. But I snagged the guy the Dealerships usually call , and he said in a worse case scenerio it would cost about $395. Tha`s that I allready have the stripes too.

Darn!

TacoBill 6/1/06 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by KdF
...it would cost about $395.

This is why Daryl and I may attempt this great feat ourselves.

TacoBill 6/1/06 02:09 PM

Daryl- You can save yourself some time and do the iso alcohol wipe-down, masking tape layout, and hood insulation removal the night before.

I'm still shooting for the test strip install on the front bumper this weekend if I can break away from a LL baseball game, Judo Tourney, B-Day party, and an in-law BBQ.

My weekends seem to be busier than the weekdays! :rolleyes:

89Trooper 6/1/06 02:14 PM

Hold on there, you grammer patrols...

If nothing else, you should at least spell grammar correctly, Bill.

TacoBill 6/1/06 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
If nothing else, you should at least spell grammar correctly, Bill.

You got me. :doh:

swwake 6/1/06 05:08 PM

my Grammar always told me to watch out for boys like y'all!

TacoBill 6/1/06 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by swwake
my Grammar always told me to watch out for boys like y'all!

Hey, we resemble that remark! :yup:

89Trooper 6/1/06 07:42 PM

I've been reading a lot about people saying "don't kid yourself about not needing a strut/shock package with lowering springs". Is there anything good other than the Tokico D-specs? I don't really want something adjustable, and I don't think we would need much help with a mild drop. Not planning on doing this anytime soon, but was just wondering. Can you buy FRPP strut/spring package without buying the entire performace pack?

Just found it... $415.00. The blue would match the springs.

Anything else out there?

OKCMustangGT 6/1/06 08:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Why, why why ??? You will not believe this, but look at the picture below. See anything amiss ?
Attachment 1432

The bad part is, it's the hood stripe :(
I e-mailed BSM about it and I assume they will send me a new stripe, but that may delay my weekend install :( or I will have one hood stripe. (Now that would draw some attention wouldn't it ?)
I will check some measurements tomorrow to see if I get lucky enough that the spot will fall in the cut-out area needed for the Shaker unit.

OKCMustangGT 6/1/06 08:57 PM

10 Attachment(s)
What I did first, after unwrapping the kit, was to seperate the pieces, label them and then trim the edge to about 1/8"
Attachment 1439
Attachment 1434Attachment 1435Attachment 1436Attachment 1437
The first thing I noticed is that these are different than the Rocker Panel Stripes I had installed.
These only have a wax backing paper and no front cover film. So it looks like it will take a little more finesse than the Rockers did.
The kit looks awsome, minus the one jagged edge.
It is easy to identify the pieces except for the front bumper. In the instructions it says that you will notice a curved edge and that part goes up top toward the front grille. The ones I have, ALL the sides except ONE are curved, so I am confused as hell. :(
After looking at some pictures, I believe I have determined the correct orientation, but only trial and error will tell. (I e-mailed BSM about that as well)

OKCMustangGT 6/1/06 08:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Oh yea here are the spoiler pieces too and how they came packaged with a magazine as a reference.
Attachment 1441Attachment 1440

TacoBill 6/1/06 10:34 PM

Why, why why ??? You will not believe this, but look at the picture below. See anything amiss?

I see what you circled, but don't see a jagged edge.

From the pic, it looks like some kind of adhesive on the vinyl with a step.

What am I not seeing?

TacoBill 6/1/06 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I've been reading a lot about people saying "don't kid yourself about not needing a strut/shock package with lowering springs".

I've read those too. The FRPP dampeners seem pretty decent and I'm sure we can find them cheaper than the list price.

I don't think I've bottomed out my dampeners yet, so I'm not quite sold on the idea that they must be replaced. There's alot more people running around with the OEM dampeners on lowered Mustangs than those running an aftermarket set-up.

TacoBill 6/1/06 11:15 PM

What I did first, after unwrapping the kit, was to seperate the pieces, label them and then trim the edge to about 1/8"

Trim what edges an 1/8"? I thought the kit came 'pre-cut'?

Maybe it's the pics, but the lengthway edges don't seem smooth and straight. I'm sure it's the pics...

Still planning on going through with the install?

OKCMustangGT 6/1/06 11:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)

I see what you circled, but don't see a jagged edge.

From the pic, it looks like some kind of adhesive on the vinyl with a step.

What am I not seeing?

The part on the right is the vinyl and the part of the left is the backing tape. That STEP was CUT into the edge of the vinyl.
I trimmed the backing tape to about 1/8" from the edge of the vinyl.
This is how they shipped. 3 Sheets total.
Attachment 1447
Did I clear it up any ??
Rob already responded and has a new piece on the way. And yea I will go on with the install.
Worse case scenario is I dont have my second hood stripe till next week.

The edges you are seeing is just the backing tape. The vinyl edges are very crisp, but I will tell you there are a LOT of contours to these stripes. Not just all straight lines.

TacoBill 6/2/06 07:27 AM

Did I clear it up any ??

I gotcha now!

Did you layout the centerline yet?

Once determined, are you going to mark the center of the 1 1/2" masking tape (btw- read that the blue painters tape won't stick when it gets wet) and align that with the car's center?

Just wondering how you're planning on laying it out. This is what I imagined doing, unless you have a better and easier way (then I'll copy you).

I'm getting nervous for you already!

TacoBill 6/2/06 07:36 AM

Daryl- I am curious how the 12" wide stripes will look on the hood (as I'm sure you are too!).

If you get a chance, can you just lay them out (approx.) on the hood with the 2" gap and take a couple pics of the hood only and one from further back?

If you don't want to post the pics until the job is done, just e-mail them to me. :)