General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Mustang Only runs for 20 mins and shut off PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/20, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang Only runs for 20 mins and shut off PLEASE HELP!

Hello All,

I am looking for help on my 2005 Mustang GT 4.6. I am having some engine trouble and everyone just tells me to drive it until is dies and throw a new engine in it. But, I want to do everything before I eat that big bill. Here is the issue... The car has a rough start and once it is running, it sounds perfect. My neighbor says he can hear some wear and tear in from the cylinders on the left side of the car. But once the car warms up to operating temps and I stop escalating, it begins to rumble and vibrate. I have to put the car in neutral and hit the gas to stop the vibrating and rumbling and the car is able to drive again. But a couple mins later it starts again and eventually it will stop the car. The car has 130k miles on it and the issues started about 5 years ago and with having kids, I just ticked in away in my grandfather's garage. Now that it's out and the kids are older, I have the time to work on it. I just replaced all the spark plugs and the only code it is throwing is a c2 sensor but after that was replaced, the car kept doing the same thing so AAA gave me my money back and took out the part. They recommended a new engine. I just figured out how to stop the water from leaking into my car but it seems that this model has a lot of dingy issues. I have heard horror stories about guys replacing their engine and when the repair shop took out their old engine, it's something really stupid that was causing the issue. I don't want to spend $3,500.00 on a $500.00 problem. Plus, Ford quoted me $6k for a engine pull and replace. I can get it rebuilt for lees then that if is come to it. Please help me guys, I am tired of seeing folks drive around in their muscle cars with I have a full loaded pony with all the bells and whiles sitting in my garage. Also, a back story I just remember, 5 years ago when the issue started, I had a guy remove my engine, clean it and put i back together. He said all my parts were good and that I had a scratch on my crank shift. He told me that the bottom have of my engine had a lot of oil slug and he clean it out but he didn't do the top because he only charged me $800.00. Might of gotten taken for a ride on that but when he gave it back to me it worked fine for about 4 months. The issue started again and I just parked it in my grandfather garage. Please help.
Old 6/28/20, 12:40 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
The motor has been obviously abused and neglected, I would look for another motor. Scratch on the crankshaft and sludge on the bottom end of the motor, usually means the top end is really bad and gummed up. To far gone in my opinion
Old 6/28/20, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But would oil slug create the knocking and vibrating? Could it be clogging up something preventing oil circulation? IS that some product I could buy to add to my engine of that is the case?
Old 6/28/20, 01:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Howdy! Welcome aboard the forums!

In order of the last post there... Yes, it could. Yes, it would and probably is. No, the engine is done. Probably. I mean, if you can get the oil pan off... which means the K member out and have the engine supported... then maybe you can find the problem.... or if it's in the head/piston... point being a tear down sounds like it's in order, and if that's the case, doneskis. Might as well rebuild/replace.

You spoke of throwing time and effort and therefore probably money and parts at this problem. Please don't, if you don't fully understand what you're doing/getting into. For learning purposes, taking apart the engine would be good, sure, but after that... I would say the 6K swap is the right answer. If you want the reason for my inspiration for saying this to you (in my case, the timing guide/tensioner issue in the Ford Modular engine family), you can read about my adventure in reclaiming my engine and car from being totaled right here (Warning... it's epic long, but ought to get the point across... not for the faint of heart.): https://themustangsource.com/forums/...a-fool-547304/ And even after all that time, effort, money, tools, etc... I'm not sure it was worth it. Monetarily speaking, of course. The joy of driving my car again was absolutely worth it. The smile she give me...

In this case, it does look like the engine has to be pulled and rebuilt, if you wanna save it. Thing is, the cost is gonna be about the same. And you should put in all new timing, oil pump to go with that crank and new rod(s).. rings... it's a job. And it's not exactly cheap, especially if you're not doing the labor and paying someone. AND you don't know the status of the block, heads, cams... It can be very very expensive in parts itself, and then machining, or replacement... been there, done that...

Alternately, you can get an LKQ one... if you're in the States... for 2K or less: https://www.lkqonline.com/2005-Ford-...ngine-Assembly Be sure to change the engine option to '4.6' as this link that has done that may not work later: https://www.lkqonline.com/2005-Ford-...y/-hSKDP4ncnnP

All that said... If you have the desire and tools and/or help, you CAN do this in your own garage... if you have one... or even under a tree or a small tent... the only issue is gonna be the engine hoist, really. Heck, even in my own tribulation and trial of the timing saga thing up there, I was always ready to pull the engine and rebuild/replace, I just knew the engine wasn't cooked. In this case, I am sorta thinking it is.

So I'm not trying to discourage. I'm tryin' to inform. But this armchair mechanic thinks you need to seriously think about the costs overall, desire, and maybe it'd be cheaper to find another one for 5K instead of saving this car. Maybe.(*)

I hope that helps in some way. I know, it's tough, you love your car, but... at the end, it's a car. A thing. Which can be replaced... and maybe for the same, or just a little more, than saving this one...

I wish you good luck!

/(*) - Says the guy who saved his because y'all can pry Awesome away from my cold, dead hands... or she's bent beyond repair, heaven forbid... I won't like that day if it comes along... No sir/ma'am...

Last edited by houtex; 6/28/20 at 01:51 PM.