Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2013 V6 Major hesitation upon startup for 5 seconds

Old 3/26/15, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 V6 Major hesitation upon startup for 5 seconds

In the mornings when I leave for work in the morning it goes like this:

1. Turn key and release immediately.
2. While engine is turning over to start, I am shifting into reverse and releasing handbrake.
3. After engine has started, I immediately release the clutch and attempt to backup.
4. Engine bogs down like not getting enough fuel or vacuum is low still.
5. Occurs for first 5 seconds.
6. After 5 seconds, the engine runs fine and does not bog down anymore.

All these steps occur fairly quickly, probably 4 seconds from step 1 to step 3. This happens in forward motion also, but I am usually pulled into my driveway forward facing.
Am I asking too much for the car to immediately be able to drive normally?
My 1994 F150 has no issues responding to throttle in the first 5 seconds of running.
The dealership is trying somewhat. I went there this morning and demonstrated the issue, after they couldn't duplicate. They called me back this afternoon and tried to throw some BS at me, like they thought maybe I was hitting the rev limiter. I did rev it up a little higher to help demo the issue better, but I think I hit 3500ish RPMs. I asked him what the RPM Rev limitation was set at (I already knew), he couldn't answer me.

Am I asking too much of the engine to immediately be able to take off?
Old 3/26/15, 02:45 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Newer cars have a lot of computer crap that needs to adjust when the car is first started. I wait 20 or so seconds before i drive off. I let my phone sync and let my reverse camera start working. I have a 1991 F150
Old 3/26/15, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't agree with your first statement. The car wasn't this way when I first got it new. Additionally, the computer is not "off" unless the battery is disconnected and even then there is the flash memory.
Tomorrow morning, I am going to meet up again with the service manager and the tech.
Old 3/27/15, 10:21 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by explorerst4x4
In the mornings when I leave for work in the morning it goes like this:

1. Turn key and release immediately.
2. While engine is turning over to start, I am shifting into reverse and releasing handbrake.
3. After engine has started, I immediately release the clutch and attempt to backup.
4. Engine bogs down like not getting enough fuel or vacuum is low still.
5. Occurs for first 5 seconds.
6. After 5 seconds, the engine runs fine and does not bog down anymore.

All these steps occur fairly quickly, probably 4 seconds from step 1 to step 3. This happens in forward motion also, but I am usually pulled into my driveway forward facing.
Am I asking too much for the car to immediately be able to drive normally?
My 1994 F150 has no issues responding to throttle in the first 5 seconds of running.
The dealership is trying somewhat. I went there this morning and demonstrated the issue, after they couldn't duplicate. They called me back this afternoon and tried to throw some BS at me, like they thought maybe I was hitting the rev limiter. I did rev it up a little higher to help demo the issue better, but I think I hit 3500ish RPMs. I asked him what the RPM Rev limitation was set at (I already knew), he couldn't answer me.

Am I asking too much of the engine to immediately be able to take off?
Hello explorerst4x4,

As per my technical expert, from what you’re describing, this should be considered a normal operating characteristic of a cold 2013 V6 engine. This engine incorporates many oil pressure dependent features and emission strategies that differ from a 1994 generation engine. The engine requires a few moments after start up for certain systems to initialize and stabilize.

Also, immediately raising engine rpm to around 3,500 rpm on a cold engine at initial start-up may be detrimental to long engine life. I hope this helps!

Deysha