Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 GT Manual Transmission - Engine turnover

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/11, 03:59 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GT Manual Transmission - Engine turnover

Is anyone having issues with the engine starting from time to time? Sometimes when I go to crank the engine and it takes 4 seconds or so to crank. It always cranks but the automatic starter will just keep turning and turning until it cranks. It is starting to happen more frequently. Today it happened after the car had only been sitting in the parking lot for 30 minutes so it is not a cold engine thing. I have double checked and each time it happens I do have the clutch all the way to the floor.

I took it to Ford last week to look at along with an engine rattle and they didn't know what it was as they weren't able to replicate the problem. Its starting to happen more frequently and I am getting concerned as I will be installing my new intake and tune tomorrow. Not to mention its also embarrassing to have a new car do this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 3/7/11, 04:19 PM
Cobra Member

Happened to me and many others for a while when the cars were new. It went away with time so as long as you brought it in and told them about it then I wouldn't be worried.
Old 3/7/11, 04:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
happens to me every once in a while
Old 3/7/11, 05:56 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Happened to me and many others for a while when the cars were new. It went away with time so as long as you brought it in and told them about it then I wouldn't be worried.
Thanks. I have about 6800 miles currently. I didn't have the issue at first but it has started to happen recently and more frequently as time goes by.

Last edited by 1969 Boss429; 3/7/11 at 05:59 PM.
Old 3/7/11, 06:05 PM
V6 Member

A tip i picked from somebody on here was to turn the key on, not to crank, and wait for the electric fuel pump noise to stop (3-5 seconds) then crank it. This has seemed to stop the run-on cranking for me.
Old 3/7/11, 06:08 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by tstrick9
A tip i picked from somebody on here was to turn the key on, not to crank, and wait for the electric fuel pump noise to stop (3-5 seconds) then crank it. This has seemed to stop the run-on cranking for me.
Very interesting. I will definitely try that. Thanks!

Still seems unusual to have to do that. Never had to wait on any other car I have previously owned.
Old 3/7/11, 06:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1969 Boss429

Very interesting. I will definitely try that. Thanks!

Still seems unusual to have to do that. Never had to wait on any other car I have previously owned.
Agree. This has happened twice to me as well so far. Should not be happening on a brand new car that is for sure!
Old 3/7/11, 07:53 PM
GT Member

I've had this happen to me several times. It can 85 degrees outside or 10 below. It doesn't happen often but when it does, some instances are worst than others. The last time it happened, the car over cranked so much it made that terrible screeching sound from the starter crying in pain. A few people passing by looked over and I was so embarrassed. I brought it to Ford and they could not repeat the problem. The guy said my battery was kinda low and they boosted it but the problem still exists.
Old 3/7/11, 08:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by WildPony619
I've had this happen to me several times. It can 85 degrees outside or 10 below. It doesn't happen often but when it does, some instances are worst than others. The last time it happened, the car over cranked so much it made that terrible screeching sound from the starter crying in pain. A few people passing by looked over and I was so embarrassed. I brought it to Ford and they could not repeat the problem. The guy said my battery was kinda low and they boosted it but the problem still exists.
This is ridiculous. Why are our cars having these problems? Pisses me off.
Old 3/7/11, 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tony...I think you are right. I always turn the key to on, and let the system run through the checks, and the fuel pump prime, while I put my seat belt on. I then turn to start and she fires right up, even after sitting in the garage for several days in freezing weather.
Old 3/7/11, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's the other thread that talks about this.

https://themustangsource.com/f804/st...491522/index2/
Old 3/7/11, 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

This has only happened to me a half dozen times, seemed to always happen in pairs, and come to think of it this hasn't happened to me since October now. I never had it bad. Just took 2-3 extra seconds to start, but it always started for me. I just crank and go now, no waiting around.

I never did anything to make it stop, it happened too rarely and I never figured out a set of circumstances that could duplicate it. Again, it only happened a half dozen times across a four month period as a DD.
Old 3/7/11, 09:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Norberd
Here's the other thread that talks about this.

https://themustangsource.com/f804/st...491522/index2/
Thanks man. Don't know how I missed that thread. I will try that. The computer analogy someone made on there makes sense. Still seems a little strange to me that you can't just fire it up right away but I guess I just need to be a little more patient.
Old 3/7/11, 09:26 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Lancel
This has only happened to me a half dozen times, seemed to always happen in pairs, and come to think of it this hasn't happened to me since October now. I never had it bad. Just took 2-3 extra seconds to start, but it always started for me. I just crank and go now, no waiting around.

I never did anything to make it stop, it happened too rarely and I never figured out a set of circumstances that could duplicate it. Again, it only happened a half dozen times across a four month period as a DD.
Before the past 2 weeks I could count the number of times it happened to me but recently had it more. However now that I think about it I usually just get in and crank the car immediately so I will try the wait for the systems to load approach.
Old 3/7/11, 11:14 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Thanks for this thread. I've been having the same issue lately = in the 4 months from Aug to Dec, it probably happened to me ONCE.
Then a little more often (maybe twice a month).
But last week it happened 2 times in 4 days.

Like you said, it's just embarrassing when you're driving a new car.
Twice I had passengers in it (who are anti-American car types) and I could tell exactly what they were thinking... oh nice new FORD you have there, it doesn't even turn over nicely...

Since I couldn't narrow down the conditions when it happened (too cold? too warm? started more than once in X amount of time?) I think I'll try the method mentioned above - leave the key in the ignition for 3-5 seconds before starting, and hope that solves the problem.
Old 3/8/11, 10:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tstrick9
+1

thats what we should all do.
Old 3/8/11, 10:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau

+1

thats what we should all do.

I'm going to get into habit of doing this as well. Hopefully this will stop this problem.
Old 3/8/11, 12:50 PM

Starter

I had this happen to me just before Christmas, When I took it to the dealer I was told it would be two weeks for a replacement starter due to over 300 on back order. When the starter came in we looked it over and the casting at the base bolting to the housing had been redesigned and was stronger .. I have not had any problems at all after the replacement. seal9
Old 3/8/11, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by seal9
I had this happen to me just before Christmas, When I took it to the dealer I was told it would be two weeks for a replacement starter due to over 300 on back order. When the starter came in we looked it over and the casting at the base bolting to the housing had been redesigned and was stronger .. I have not had any problems at all after the replacement. seal9

So you actually were able to get a replacement? Hmmm... Interesting. I'm sure mine will give the "can't produce problem" as usual.
Old 3/13/11, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Same thing has happened on mine on several ocassions. And, as everyone else, no set conditions. Just happens! Once, I didn't think the car would start, so I turned it off and tried again. Started right away the second time. I guess you're all right about waiting for the systems before starting.

Quick Reply: 2011 GT Manual Transmission - Engine turnover